main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Jedi Snapshots 2 (JA short stories - humor/serious)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jul 3, 2000.

1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    "...Juli, who?d had a master who understood rather then rejected
    Barin, picked by another.
    Sara whose master had never died
    And Xanatos who had stepped down that darkpath, only to come back?"

That was an incredible post Kit! To have Caelum witness to such possibilities was an incredible idea :) :) :) Four different people, three who met with tragic ends and one who (we hope!) will somehow find peace with himself in time. Barvo!

HaiGan, I couldn't have expressed myself any better than Kit! Superbly written. Barin's supossition that homework whilst on another world had never produced such a reaction was just fantastic. I could so picture Caelum's face when Barin was observing him. And I was gritting my teeth at the bit where Caelum was recounting the frog noises they all made at him! Grrrr! :) :) :)

Here's part three (I'm contrary, I know) of a three part snapshot. Part one will deal with the story how Qui-Gon is given a gift as a young man, and how he loses it. Part two will show how he regains it...and part three shows exactly what he decides to do with it...

TITLE: This Precious Thing
    Part Three

"Sixteen?" Qui-Gon was saying, standing on the balcony of his apartment and admiring the view, the same view as had always been, but no less than spectacular for all that. It would be difficult to become jaded with such an incredible sight even when it was quite literally on your doorstep. Jemmiah listened to the hum of Coruscant's air traffic far above their heads, remembering the first time she had stood on the balcony and took her first ever glance at the world outside - a world that had become her home.

That had been very nearly six years ago now. So much had happened since then?

"?an age of responsibility." Qui-Gon had continued to speak whilst her mind had been elsewhere and she had missed some of the conversation along the way. Nevertheless the gist of his words was unmistakable. Now she was officially of age she had to act in a mature and adult fashion. She should start to think about the direction she wanted her life to take. Basically - although it was not being said unkindly - he was suggesting she took a look at herself and did a bit of growing up.

That WAS what he was saying, wasn't he?

"Of course to a jedi it is just another year to be marked off on the long journey to attaining knighthood, but still I am aware of the importance?the significance, if you like?of reaching that age. And as you are both important and significant to me," he couldn't help but notice the girlish flush of color that accompanied his speech, "I thought I should mark the occasion in some way."

"There's no need?" Jemmiah hurriedly reassured him, but he cut her short with a shake of his hand.

"Yes there is. Although I was puzzled as to what I should give you at first. I believe Evla is taking you shopping today?"

"She is!" Jemmiah gleefully rubbed her hands. "And Obi-Wan bought me a lovely bouquet of flowers. I thought that was really sweet of him." She couldn't help but smirk as she recollected his face when she'd thanked him for the gift. "I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and he blushed so beautifully that I kissed him on the other one just to see him go even redder!"

Qui-Gon frowned slightly as she regaled him with her antics. His padawan was indeed somewhat shy where females were concerned; not that he hadn't an eye for them, which made Jemmiah's games even less commendable.

"Do you know, I wondered what I was going to get from Ben. I was really kinda worried. In fact I don't think I'd been so scared since Simeon and I put one of Ben's socks under the scanner and saw?"

"Yes, quite." Qui-Gon agreed abruptly. "But you liked your gifts so far."

"Oh, yes! They've been great!" Jemmiah beamed at him. "Not that it matters of course. Considering that my aunt and uncle went out of their way to buy me as many ridiculously expensive things as they could. Do you know, in a way I almost prefer Ben's flowers. At least he gave me something he'd picked out himself, not selected by som

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Poor Caelum, feeling slighted by his father/Master's replationship with Thom. I do hope his expanation of how it came to be after years of work sinks in.

A very thoughful snapshot HaiGan, truly wonderful. :) :)

Jemmy, a very sweet part 3. I thought it very nobe of Jemmy to refuse the ring for the reasons she stated, but was glad Qui-Gon convinced her she should have it. Qui's confession of having nothing else for her sent me into a wave of giggles. But he needn't worry, he could always go to the gardens and find a rock! ;) :D

3. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    *grin* Shameless upping of this thread! :)

4. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Yay! I finally caught up! You guys are all such great writers! I love this stuff!

5. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Thanks Jaina! :)

This Precious Thing
    Part One

"It's not fair!"

"Jemmiah, don't stamp your foot like that at me. You're not a Bantha! And don't look at me like that either because I won't tolerate it."

"You ALWAYS take Obi-Wan's side in everything! You never listen to me!"

"Did you or did you not kick my padawan in the shin?"

"Yes! So what if I did? He's got another perfectly good leg to stand on, hasn't he?"

"That's hardly the point as well you know."

"The galaxy is not going to end coz Ben's got a tiny bruise."

Maybe it was because of the way that she was fixing him with that insufferable, infuriating scowl - the open defiance - that Qui-Gon hadn't listened to Jemmiah's side of the story up to that point, he couldn't say for certain. It did bother him that she truthfully considered him to be biased in favor of his apprentice, but he had seen the facts with his own eyes. The boy had a rapidly darkening bruise on his shin, a kick that had been delivered by a forceful and angry blow. Jemmiah couldn't deny kicking him as he'd come in and witnessed the very moment of the attack, but what Qui-Gon needed to know was what Obi-Wan had done to merit such a viscous assault. His padawan had not been forthcoming which had more or less confirmed Jemmiah's tale that there was more to the sorry story than first met the eye...

"You and Obi-Wan usually get on so well." Qui-Gon pointed out, crossing his own arms and mirroring her sullen posture. "That's what I find so surprising."

"It was his fault!"

"He maintains that you were both talking normally about nothing in particular and then you lashed out at him." Qui-Gon stared right back at her, watching her face for any sign of discomfort or falsehood. To her credit he saw none, only a determination conveyed admirably by the set of her jaw.

"Then his point of view is different to mine!" Jemmy snapped again, knowing she wasn't impressing Qui-Gon by her antics but not caring a jot. "I knew you wouldn't listen!"

She spun on her heel and stormed towards the door and the safety of her own bedroom.

"Who gave you permission to go?" Qui-Gon challenged, annoyed in the extreme.

"What's the point in talking? I'm gonna get sent to my room anyway!" Jemmy yelled back at him. "And before you say it, I don't want supper!"

And with that the door slammed shut behind her.

True to form Jemmiah did not appear for supper and although Obi-Wan seemed slightly contrite for his as yet unspecified part in that afternoon's proceedings, it certainly did not stop him from eating the extra helping of food that Qui-Gon had prepared, just incase the Corellian girl decided to back down. He should have known of course that even if she had been ravenous, pride would have forced her to stay away. Pride played a big part in Jemmiah's personality, Qui-Gon had come to realize. It was what kept her going on bad days. It told her that she was the equal of everyone and the inferior of nobody. Sometimes she seemed to have difficulty believing it but obstinacy often saved the day. The sheer forcefulness and energy of her persona could sometimes bowl a person over.

As Obi-Wan tucked into the last of the salad, his master had reluctantly beaten a path to Jemmiah's door and knocked smartly upon the wood, awaiting some kind of acknowledgement.

"I've managed to save you some salad?that's if Obi-Wan hasn't finished it whilst my back was turned." Qui-Gon added under his breath. When he received no answer the master continued:

"May I come in for a moment? There's something I'd like to discuss with you."
    "If you have to." The sullen voice replied, partly muffled by what sounded like a pillow.

//Progress at last.// Qui-Gon caught himself smiling. //Normally she would leave me standing outside the door. Well, when it comes to a matter of attrition she picked on the wrong jedi master. I can wait a millennia if I have to.//

He opened the door with the gentlest of touches, eyes instantly drawn to the bed where lay sprawled the recalcitrant ten year old

6. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    That was great! :D

7. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Thanks again Jaina :) :) :)

8. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Hee! Big grin from that, Jemmiah. So of course everyone else at work is wondering why I'm grinning. :p

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    ROFLOL!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Jemmy, another amazing snapshot! You had me howling when finding out Jemmiah kicked Obi-Wan because he asked her too and I loved Qui-Gon's decision to not make Obi take the initiates Gabaldi class!! :D :D

10. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Kit' what a fabulous snapshot about what could have been! It's amazing that a change in just the slightest thing would have created something so different. :D

Poor Calleum having to go through that. But I'm glad that he was able to work through it with Barin. Now just point me to those making the frog noises! ;)

Wonderful HaiGan!

I was happy to see that Jemmy did finally accept Qui-Gon's gift. I know that it must mean as much to him her accepting it as to Jemmy recieving it.

Well I think that Obi deserved what he got! Personally I think he should get a kick on the other shin for leaving so much out of his story! :D But it is nice to know that Qui-Gon is still human.

Awesome couple of posts Jem! Can't wait for part 2!

11. Kenobism

Kenobism Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Hey! This thread is too good to be lost somewhere in the depths of this board.
    UP with this! :)
    And please continue your snapshots, they´re beautiful!

12. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    How did I miss this? (Easy, way too much time spent with Darth Real Life, way too little time spent playing on the boards)

Anyway, I have just started working my way through these wonderful stories!! Excellent work people!

13. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Hey, great! New readers! :)

Glad you are enjoying them so far :)

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Great snapshot! I missed reading this thread. I'm happy to see it up again. :)

15. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    TITLE: A Kind Of Magic

"Whatcha starin' at?"

Jemmiah eyed the little kid with scarcely disguised distaste, even though he was only some four or so years younger that she herself was. There was something about kids that she just didn't like. Perhaps it was the fact that they smelled so bad. Maybe it was the way they always seemed to drool and dribble, or their instant ability to look like they'd been playing in a garbage silo. Perhaps it was their childish earnestness that so set her teeth on edge.

Perhaps it was because she had been denied her own childhood.

Why oh why oh why did Evla want to work with these ghastly creatures, Jemmiah wondered, observing the runny nosed kid as he stopped by her shoulder, breathing force knew what germs all over her. What was the appeal? And not just one - but hundreds of them! Was she out of her mind?

"The floor, kid. What's it look like to you?" The Corellian scowled, rubbing at the floor outside the crèche wing with a large, dirty cloth that had clearly seen better days.

"Why?"

Why? Now therein lay a tale?

"Because of the magic creature that's on the floor." Jemmiah replied, screwing up her face in concentration at the shiny floor tiles beneath her feet. "Can't you see it?"

The boy squinted, nose so near to the ground that Jemmiah thought he was about to topple right over into the nearby pail of water. "Can't see a 'fing." He declared roundly. "What is it?"

"It's a?floor sprite." Jemmiah answered, tying her long tangled hair back from her face and trying to remain as composed as possible. "You see, only the best jedi can see it. But you have to be quick, or it moves!"

"Really?" The little boy stared up at her with beguiling blue eyes that reminded her somewhat of Obi-Wan.

"Would I lie to you?" Jemmy crossed the wrong side of her chest with one finger. "But you see, you need the magic cloth in order to see the floor sprite. They live underneath the tiles. You have to wash the floor really quickly to reveal it?and you never know where it'll pop up next."

"Can?I have a go?" The boy held out his hand. "Please?"

"I dunno?see it's a magic cloth and you're not s'posed to go around handing them out to just anybody?"

Jemmiah saw the youngsters face fall with disappointment and actually felt sorry for him. That was the thing about kids; give them something to believe in, something magical and their imaginations did the rest. Sometimes the dreaming was better than the reward itself. She'd had so little to dream about in her life until she'd been brought to Coruscant. Perhaps it was good to let the kid have his fun?

"Okay, seeing as it's you and I like you so much." Jemmiah very gently picked up the cloth and handed it to the little boy, who turned it over so reverentially in his fingers, staring in total awe of the magical object, that Jemmiah had to stifle her own giggles. "But you have to be very careful with it and treat it right. Remember, soak it in the water first and then wring it out a little. Then put it down on the ground?yes, that's right. Now, start moving the cloth about?no, faster than that or you won't be able to see the sprite."

"Like this?" The beautiful eyes stared up at her for confirmation.

"Just like that. Hey, you're a natural with that magic cloth! I think it likes you." Beamed the Corellian.

"Really?!?"

"Oh, yeah! I think that cloth was made with you in mind?wait! Did you see the floor sprite?oh, darn! It's moved over there!" Jemmy pointed slightly to the boy's right, watching as the child whipped around to his side, staring. "Do you see it now?"

"N-nope." The child frowned.

"Well, nevermind. Keep scrubbing away with the magic cloth and you're bound to see it!" Jemmiah instructed, continuing to direct the child to the spot where the sprite had disappeared. "Thataway!"

"Whatcha doin?" Another voice said behind Jemmiah, tugging her on folds of her pinafore.

"Looking for the floor sprite." Jemmiah answered, not taking her eyes from the little boy. "There it is! Catch it quickly befor

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL!! Such a sass that Jemmy... kinda like the author huh?? :D ;) :)

17. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Moi? :) : ) ;) Surely not! *grin*

18. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Hey! It posted but didn't go up! No fair! *grumbles to herself* ;)

19. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Qui-Gon has no reason to get upset with Jemmy! He should be praising her for her fantastic delegating skills! ;)

I wonder how many initiates she'll get to working on the windows! :D

20. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    TITLE: If you can't stand the heat?

"Now, please pay attention to my lead, young Obi-Wan. It would not do to become separated in a place such as this."

Qui-Gon pulled his robe closer to him even though the sun was beating down overhead. The market place was bustling with life, different species of creatures and sentient beings, with all the sounds and smells that accompanied such places. Rug makers, ornamental candle sellers, glass blowers, jugglers, acrobats, pickpockets?it was as if every corner of the galaxy had been represented within the narrow market place and teeming streets. You couldn't step three yards without having someone trying to sell you some kind of weird, exotic fruit or an exquisitely embroidered shirt?

"I always pay attention." Obi-Wan found himself becoming more and more disgruntled with his lot in life. He hated the burning sun. He hated dust. He wanted to be back on Coruscant where he had his own very serviceable bed and a clean change of clothing. He missed Jemmy. At the back of his mind Obi-Wan wondered how she was getting along in the care of G'emela Lothric, Qui-Gon's first padawan. He'd never met the woman but by all accounts she could be a bit on the overbearing side, and something told him that Jemmiah was not the kind of person who would appreciate that.

"You sometimes lack focus and won't listen. Nor do you take kindly to a little constructive advice." Counted Qui-Gon, waving his hand in the face of someone trying to sell him a newly crafted lucky Nargot shoe. "No, thank you very much."

"It is for luck." The old man smiled toothily back at him.

"Thanks again, but I am in rather a hurry. If I ever own a one legged Nargot you'll be the first person I think of, I promise."

Even although he didn't actually tug Obi-Wan away by the sleeve, the fourteen-year-old padawan felt the request to move through their bond just as insistently as if it had been a physical command. Sighing, Obi-Wan took great care as they moved past the brazier where the old man had been heating the metal for the Nargot shoes, careful not to step on Qui-Gon's trailing robe.

"Wasn't that a bit?" he hedged for a moment, "?impolite, master?" he suggested respectfully, trying to catch up with Qui-Gon's long stride.

"Padawan, you will learn in time that the difference between being rude and being decisive can be very thin indeed. In this instance I believe it to be necessary. If we stop and buy everything we have offered to us then we will be both exceedingly poor and also?" he grabbed hold of Obi-Wan's robe and this time literally dragged him along past the next booth, where five rather garishly painted females of varying shapes and species were stood, smiling and winking lustfully. It became patently obvious what they were trying to sell - and it was not the sort of thing Qui-Gon wanted Obi-Wan to experience?

"Master?" Obi-Wan began to say something, staring at the ground.

"Come along." Qui-Gon hastened the boy straight past the Twi'lek female before she could do anything but coyly twitch her lekku at him. "You would do well to observe me in this type of situation. I have been to a lot more places of this nature and seen a lot strange things?"

"Are we talking about the planet or the Twi'lek, master?" wondered Obi-Wan with a dry little smile.

"I shall ignore that remark because I know that you are still in a foul mood from that little 'dispute' that we had yesterday evening, and you are deliberately trying to exasperate me with your behavior." Qui-Gon actually smiled at him and Obi-Wan eyed his master with suspicion. "But what I am saying is perfectly grounded in truth. I have experience in this kind of subterfuge."

"Yes master." Nodded Obi-Wan.

"And you do have an unfortunate tendency on occasions to dwell on possibilities far in the future."

"Yes master."

"What is important is focusing on what is going on all around you."

Qui-Gon patted the teenager on the shoulder to show that there were no hard feelings. What Obi-Wan suffered from most was impetuosi

21. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Shameless upping of own thread... :)

22. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Too bad Qui-Gon wasn't following his own words of wisdom! [face_laugh] I liked how Obi-Wan asked if that "wasn't a bit impolite?" :D

Great snapshot!

23. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    ROFLOL!! [face_laugh]

Robe's on fire! I think he kinda deserved that. Maybe it'll keep him from teaching 'do what I say not what I do'. At least for a little while! ;)

Fabulous Jem!! :D :D :D

24. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Phew! Didn't know how that one would sit with the Qui fans! *grin* But there was/may be a snapshot that slots in before showing Obi-Wan to be somewhat on the pompous side to balence it all out. :)

25. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    TITLE: Names Will Never Hurt Me (Sticks & Stones)

"Master Jinn?" Jemmy asked, looking up from the painting she was doing of a bowl of fruit sitting on the table in front of her, desperately trying not to give into temptation and eat every last one of the shiny red Dilarberries.

"Yes, Tangles? What is it?"

Qui-Gon seemed preoccupied with what reading some kind of report, and didn't even look up when she spoke. He and Obi-Wan were about to leave on a mission that would take them far away from Coruscant, where only Jemmiah's prayers could reach them. He'd not spoken much about the mission except to say that it was on a distant planet in the outer reaches of the galaxy, and that their stay might be quite uncomfortable, seeing as how the place they were travelling to was rather hot and somewhat uncivilised in places. Perhaps then she shouldn't even be bothering him with idle chit-chat.

"What were you like as a child?"

That had the desired effect. Qui-Gon's brows knitted together and ever so slowly his head turned to face the ten-year-old, baffled by the curious nature of the question. Jemmiah could see the cogs turning in his head, obviously wondering what direction the conversation might take from that point.

"Where do you get these questions?" Jinn wondered aloud, bewildered blue eyes scrutinising the Corellian child, sweeping her up and down in puzzlement. "Why do you wish to know that?"

"I'm just having trouble imagining you at Obi-Wan's age." Jemmy shrugged defensively. "You're so serious sometimes. I wondered if you were always like that."

"The life of a Jedi IS a serious one." Countered Qui-Gon, patiently waiting Jemmiah's next questions.

"Yes, I know that. But surely that doesn't mean it's always like that? I mean, I always get into trouble and do stupid things." Jemmy looked across at him expectantly. "Didn't you ever do anything silly as a child?"

"No." Jinn tried to expunge some of his less commendable exploits with Dex, Mace and Vernice from his thoughts. He'd had his share of scrapes but it wasn't the sort of thing he wanted to admit to Jemmiah. If he didn't give her an ideal role model to follow then what kind of signal did that give out? After the life she had been forced to live the girl was in need of stability and a good, moral grounding. Admitting his many failures would not be a wise move. How would she look up to him then?

But maybe it might make him appear less distant. Less 'serious' as the child had put it. Even after all these months Qui-Gon still felt that he was finding his way with Jemmiah. That she found him remote at times was quite frankly alarming to him. So what should he say?

"What, never?" Jemmiah blinked. "Not once?"

"Well?" Qui-Gon hesitated, fiddling with the clasp that tied back his long hair.

"Ha! I knew it!" Jemmy put down the paintbrush and clasped her hands together expectantly, waiting for more information to be forthcoming. "What?"

"Pardon?"

"What did you do?" The eagerness in her small face completely threw Qui-Gon for a moment. "You can tell me! I won't say a word - not even to Obi-Wan!"

Qui-Gon took a deep breath, foot jiggling slightly as it did when impatient or uncomfortable. He'd backed himself into a corner. Part of him intensely disliked the idea that he was going to have to leave Jemmiah in the care of G'emela, his first padawan, so soon into their first half year or so together. That of course was inevitable - as he'd explained to Jemmiah on countless occasions - for the life of a Jedi was purely to serve in the name of galactic peace and stability. He went where he was bade, and his padawan went with him. It had been that way before Jemmiah had appeared on the scene and would continue that way for years after. The sooner she got used to the idea the better.

Of course it wasn't ideal; the stability he'd hoped to give her by becoming her guardian would surely be diminished as a result of his missions away from Coruscant. But what else was there to do? Except perhaps make sure that she was aware of