main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jedi Trial

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Dec 1, 2014.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    After reading the x-wing series/I, Jedi, is Jedi Trial worth a read as sort of a "prequel"?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    There is no good reason to read Jedi Trial for anything. [face_sigh]

Riv_Shiel, Ender Sai, Grey1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I don't remember much from Jedi Trial, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "No". Technically Jedi Trial references some things from the X-wing series/I, Jedi, but not in a good or meaningful way. its not the worst Star Wars book I've ever read, but its not a good or memorable SW book either. Sadly its more of a wasted opportunity than anything else.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Concurred. Jedi Trial wasn't a bad book, just a boring one, but it was pretty thoroughly boring. I can't really remember anything about it either.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Trial had the friendship between Anakin and Nejaa Halcyon but not much about Halcyon's family other than the fact that he had one. So no, it doesn't really work as a prequel.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Unless you're a dianoga tea enthusiast.

7. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Jedi Trial also had the annoying scene where Anakin & Halcyon confessed their secret families to each other for no real reason... :rolleyes:

Riv_Shiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    I started this twice and failed to reach the 100th page both times, IIRC. So the short answer would be no.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There were a lot of important moments in this book that fell by the wayside, because the author never used them to any effect. This was one. Another was when Qui-Gon randomly stopped in to prevent Anakin from killing that dude at the end.

I mean seriously, WTF? If Nejaa and Qui-Gon are going to appear, then they better darned do something awesome.

Edit: Oh yeah IG: so no, it's no prequel. Nejaa is a crybaby who sits on his ass the whole time. Except when he spends five seconds to talk about his family because... I dunno, shoe-in reference? Bah.

Riv_Shiel, Ender Sai and Gorefiend like this.
  10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

If you're reading it as a prequel to that series and novel then no, as it doesn't really connect all that much.

On its own however its a nice little side-adventure. Not a tale for the ages like DR was for Yoda, but a good story nonetheless.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin writes a four-page-long saptastic letter to Padme as well. Fireplace scene, eat your heart out.

That said...I rather enjoyed the Anakin-Nejaa bro-bonding.

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It also has the most unfortunately-named protagonists ever, Erk and Odie.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But Garfield is a great comic strip!

Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    best thing about Jedi Trial was Halcyon Horn.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Oh those two. Every time the text said Odie I just pictured the dog from Garfield. It made for some interesting scenes (also Erk sounds like a sound I'd make when someone asks me something and I can't recall what they just said because I was daydreaming).

Seriously this book is pretty boring. I mean Ventress is barely in it, and then only at the very end, and all I can say about the dude leading the droid army is that he has purple stained teeth from all the dianoga tea he's been drinking. This is mentioned every time he's on screen.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    worst.Eu-book.ever (and that's counting Denning's later output)

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a few people who like it:

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I always wonder, what people have against Pors Tonith. I was sorely disappointed when he didn't appear in TCW.

You lucky guy to be ignorant of The Crystal Star, Courtship of Princess Leia, Splinter of the Minds-Eye, The BountyHunterWar-trilogy, The New Rebellion, Planet of Twilight, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read all of those - and I found some degree of enjoyment in most (though the Denning books in the FOTJ series are hard going.

Riv_Shiel and werpudel like this.
  20. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    I disagree. I've read all of these except SotME and TBHW and I found all of them, except maybe Planet of Twilight, more enjoyable than Jedi Trial.

21. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    I've read all of the above. and even tough the almighty Waru still sends shivers down my spine, none of these books can play in the same low-level league as Jedi Trial. No, not even Denning's books (which started out good - Tatooine Ghost e.g., but started to go downhill from LOTF. And yes, that means that even the Dark Nest-trilogy wasn't that bad after I read it a second time).

what's wrong with CoPL by the way? that one was funny and entertaining and gave us the nightsisters, after all. SotME is what it is - it was written way before the rest of the EU and was a stand in for EP V in case it didn't get filmed. I didn't find it overly interesting but it didn't turn me off the way Jedi Trial did.

Bounty Hunter War trilogy did take some time to get used to but wasn't really bad. it was different and - as far as I can remember - without any jedi, that's all.

New Rebellion: classical run-of-the-mill SW book by Bantam. I found the droid-bomb idea pretty funny, tbh

Crystal Star: Waru, baby. yeah!

Planet of Twilight - no problem with that one at all.

Legacy of the Force: I confess: I'm a big fan of Karen Traviss SW and found it immensly sad that things with her turned out the way they did. Aalston was pretty good there, too. and the overall premiss of the story was quite compelling. for me at least.

Fate of the Jedi: again, the overall story was quite interesting, Golden's addition at least gave us Vestara, but they shuffled too many things around while the books were published. the idea of retracing Jacen's odyssee was so, so interesting. only, they stopped after three of four books. I always wanted a Jace-odyssee book by itself, anyway. the really dissapointing thing was Denning's finale, which was - as I've described elsewhere - more like novelization of a Bay/Bruckheimer movie. all action, no substance.

so, that's my rant for today. sorry if I've bothered you ;)

Grievousdude and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

The Tonith Clan was revealed to be the archrival of the Hill Clan in Darth Plagueis, so I have no choice but to condemn his person. Blood for (dianoga) blood![face_skull]

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Courtship of Princess Leia is bad because it has an attempt at an arranged marriage and a love triangle.

Vthuil likes this.
  24. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    And Hapes. It has Hapes and every time the Hapans are on screen (page...you know what I mean) I find myself grinding my teeth in annoyance.

I'll also admit that I dislike arranged marriages so that always drags a story down for me.

25. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I really enjoyed Jedi Trial, but that may have had more to do with the fact that Anakin Skywalker has always been my favorite Saga character, and actually reading about what happened at Praesitlyn was a thrilling prospect. To each his own, I suppose, but I found it quite good.

Iron_lord likes this.