main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    What an awful picture!
    Thanks for reminding me why I didn't buy it

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    What, you didn't like Mira Sorvino as Mara Jade, and Bruce Willis as Kam Solusar? I mean, obviously Rutger Hauer is supposed to be Kam :p

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think it is important to realize that after thousands of years of study, the Jedi are unlikely to be so completely wrong.

4. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    That's what those people want to hear about, for some reason people are more interested in hard facts, powers, and midi counts than the philosophy that actually makes up the Force, I'll never understand it but that's the way it is.

Yes, one picture that isn't the best but honestly isn't that bad certainly gives you a great reason to not bother buying a book that is great in a host of other areas.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

He has a valid point. The artwork is fuzzy and the Imperial threat of the storyline corny. The Jango and Wessel comics had similar art. It's the comic his majesty might get married in, but it's unappealing on several areas.

6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    PerfectCell,

Can I please decide for myself which books I buy and which I don't?
    Thanks very much.

Great in a host of other areas, gimme a break. The book store has LOTS of books that are great in a host of other areas.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    ...wait, are we talking about Union or The Essential Guide to the Force? I'm a tad lost.

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You're right, Four_Dot, it's from Union. Never mind me. [face_whistling]

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Enough new info for know-all fans to buy, or primarily for newbies?

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I guess it's more a question of whether or not you're into Essential Guides. Which I certainly am not; far as I'm concerned, they're static bits of the Wookiee that are outdated upon release.

11. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    Chiss_man

I have just one quick question and if your busy you don't have to go into great detail. Does the book go indepth with the various styles of lightsaber combat?

12. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Wait, were you talking about Union or Guide to the Force in your initial post?

13. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    It certainly does, with illustrations and their own section.

And yes, Thanksgiving time rocks but it does mean busyness. :(

14. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Any art of Sifo-Dyas?

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering that each one has created new canon - and moreso are official, I really can't see how you can compare them to Wookiepedia.

16. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Indeed, at least one I can recall off the top of my head, of him with Dooku.

17. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
  18. Daniel0605

Daniel0605 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2006
    Is there anything on how Jedi exactly become Force spirits?

19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I agree. I love the Essential Guides. Wookieepedia just isn't the same as the Essential Chronology. The lack of pictures on the Wookiee is one of its biggest flaws for me as I usually buy the sourcebooks for the artwork.

The other thing with Wookieepedia is you could apply it to anything- why read the novels when you could just check the Wookiee for spoilers? I would assume the answer is because reading a book is about more than just finding out what happens.

20. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Mira...Mara...have you ever seen them together?

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Actually I thought Mara was Jennife Aniston in a few scenes, and definitely Uma Thurmon in one shot in the sauna.

How about Bruce Campbell and Michael Ironside as the Imperials?

21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I just stated that I don't like Essential Guides and would just as well look something up in the Wookiee. The fact that something appears in EGs before it appears in the Wookiee is moot - it appears there anyway.

Novels in fact have the added benefit of drama, which you won't find in EGs. That's why I read some of them.

Now, please don't go in a huff over this, I'm just saying that I don't like them and you're allowed to like whatever you like.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I just stated that there really isn't a comparison. The Wookiepedia is fan-made reference guide, with everything that phrase implies: it can't generate canon in of itself, has inaccuracies, and suffers from the "town hall" democracy problem of the loudest voices dominating entries of interest.
    I do in fact use Wookie as a reference guide to point me in the direction of sources for items - but as I've said before that if I can't see the source I take the entry with a grain of salt. I don't have that problem with the Essential Guides. YMMV, of course - if you don't have a lot of SW material on hand it's a useful tool.

I don't think either one of us was in a "huff" over it. My comment was that the EGs and Wookie are apples and oranges.

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    And my point is: not to me.
    I don't want reference material to create canon, so I'm fine with the Wookiee.

24. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Does he look different from his appearance in Visionaries, where he looks like some guy in his twenties with a bad goatee?

25. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, we could theoretically upload every image in book; in fact, we practically did that with some of the recent EGs. But now we're trying to de-emphasize that now, so that we don't completely replace the original source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.