main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Plus there's a comic featuring a trip through the Netherworld, I believe.

2. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Yes, I think you mean this. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_92:_The_Dream

Also more evidence for everyone surviving: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vila and http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Denin

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Going by the Annotated Screenplays, the "netherworld" is apparently not a final destination. In fact, I think the "Rise and Fall of Darth Vader" book backs this up ( "before consciousness fades" )...

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    In case you haven't done so yet, you must read dizfactor's post near the bottom of this page (it's the 8/9/06 9:18pm post, in case your pagination is different from mine).

Quit channeling Ex. :p

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    :eek: =D= [face_laugh]

6. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Well, I for one am pretty happy with this tome's treatment of Quinlan Vos. Which is of course crucial to anything else whatsoevero_O

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I haven't finished the book yet, but there are a few observations I feel like pointing out.

Everyone's already picked up on the consistently erroneous references to the Battle of Galidraan being set ten years too early, but I'll mention it anyway because I think it's the only big continuity error that can't be explained by characters misspeaking or being ignorant of history.

The text at least twice references how the earliest known Sith Lord to become a spirit is Marka Ragnos. Guess Revan didn't tell too many people about how he redeemed Ajunta Pall in his tomb. [face_whistling]

Like TNEC, this book also mistakenly references a "Darth Kreia," but it later refers to Darth Traya and Kreia being the same individual later on.

Love the section from Pernicar, no matter when he died. "Wud was still smiling when I cut him down. Still smiling when I removed his weapon from his dead fingers. Still smiling as I stood there, momentarily oblivious to the chaos around, and I wondered, Why red?" =D=

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the reference to Juhani's aptitude for the "Force camouflage" ability comes out of the option for the player to choose Juhani to free Revan, Bastila, and Carth from the Leviathan's brig using her special powers of camouflage, a specialty of hers that came out of nowhere and was never mentioned again. I guess the writers had to think of some way to make her useful.

There are several references to how the Dark Jedi Exiles were stripped of their lightsabers, explaining why we only see the Sith using swords until Freedon Nadd comes along, but this neglects to explain Tulak Hord. Hord was famous for his lightsaber skills, but all the evidence suggests that he was a Dark Lord of the ancient Sith Empire. Maybe Hord was a fellow Exile of Ajunta Pall and XoXaan, only he managed to avoid having his lightsaber confiscated by the Jedi. The timeline's difficult to work out if Pall and Hord were contemporaries, as they were both Dark Lords of the Sith, but it may be that Hord's lightsaber prowess enabled to become to dominate the Sith, only to be overthrown by Pall shortly thereafter, or to overthrow Pall himself. Either way, Hord's lightsaber(s) would have eventually been destroyed, and the technology lost to the Sith upon his death, and there is a precedent for one-day Dark Lords (Ludo Kressh).

Is the Sadow-Nadd chronology laid out more plainly anywhere? The Dark Side Sourcebook or Tales of the Jedi Companion, perhaps? Jedi vs. Sith can't seem to decide whether Nadd learned from Sadow himself, from Sadow's spirit, from a Sith holocron he found, or some combination of these (I'd always heard it was the first one). Am I correct in believing that, however he gained his knowledge of the Sith, Freedon Nadd set himself up as King of Onderon because there couldn't be more than one Dark Lord at a time, then he killed Naga Sadow and/or obliterated his spirit and took the title for himself?

When the hell was Kla alive? What I remember of him from The Dark Side Sourcebook always made me think that he was part of the old Sith Empire, but in Jedi vs. Sith he claims that he used to be a Jedi, so unless he also was one of the Exiles, I don't see how he could have been a Sith any time before Exar Kun (the Sith weren't really into conversion so much during the Great Hyperspace War, were they? Unless Kla somehow joined the Sith during the war and wasn't killed until the Empire ultimately fell ten years later).

Everything new about the Hundred-Year Darkness = win. :cool:

Finally, what the HELL is Darth Maul fighting in this image?
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/f7/Maultraining.jpg]

8. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Question--why would the netherworld not be a final destination? And why would Yoda need to "train" these two individuals after death (rather than just relax finally)? Did they play a special role in returning to assist the living later?

9. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Because Yoda's a decent guy.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It seems like a destination is summarized by "transform into the Force"(ROTS) and "lose all identity"(Annotated Screenplays). The latter source refers to passing through the netherworld, I believe.

11. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Upon passing through the netherworld, do they retain their identity or dissipate into oblivion? I know that comics etc. had some sentients hanging around in the foggy netherworld etc.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    BEN
    I could no longer stay in the netherworld.

LUKE
    But Yoda said?

BEN
    ?that I would become one with the Force and choose not to return to the material world?

13. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    On a second perusal, I miss Jerec's posse; he gets illustrated but not explicated! This tome is not the be-all and end-all to get rid of the need for entities like CUSWE and Wookiiepedia.

14. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    IIRC, Juhani also has a feat that allows her to automatically go into stealth/invisible mode, without requiring a proper belt.

15. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    Sorry to bump but this book is such a great read in so many ways. :D

16. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    No argument there. It is the only "resource" SW book I have as it is "in-universe". I wish more people realized what a great job Windham did on this book juggling the voices and teachings of so many different voices. I'm always cracking it open and perusing through it when the TV is on. I do wish there were a few icons up here from the tremendous art in this book. [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.