main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JediNews news (The Jammies's article thread)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Hey gang! I've been mum about this for a wahile, but now that my first article is out, I can post the news here. I am the literatrue reviewer for a site in the UK called JediNews. Mika suggested I start a thread to host links to my works, and any other cool stuff that may come about from my "first steps into a larger world."

My bio: http://www.jedinews.co.uk/all-2/team-jedi-news/

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/author/matt-springer/

My first article is a review of Alphabet Squadron:

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/literatur...-review-alphabet-squadron-by-alexander-freed/

I'm excited! It will be a lot of work, but it should be fun.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

study3600 likes this.
  2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    That's so wizard! I'm so excited for you. Your first article is extremely well written (I expected nothing less) and I'm looking forward to reading many more.

study3600 likes this.
  3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I've submitted several reviews last week, and will post here as soon as they are published. One may not be due to editorial reasons; my little essay on trick or treating with Ben Cooper costumes. The photo mentioned has little 4 year old me as C3P0, and my 7 year oldbrother as a stormtroper....

Pictured here is four year old me, my older brother, and our mother. I am the one fluent in
    etiquette and protocol, my brother is the one ready to storm the rebel blockade runner. Momma
    made us our costumes, and we have on Ben Cooper brand masks.
    For those of you who don’t know, Ben Cooper brand costumes were a staple of Halloween in the
    70s and 80s. Consisting of a crummy plastic mask and a smock, they lined the shelves of
    drugstores and supermarkets in the suburbs of America. They were also highly flammable.
    Momma tossed out the smock, and rightly so. The Ben Cooper smock made no attempt to
    resemble an actual costume. Instead, it had the logo of the property along with a picture of
    whatever concept you were supposed to be. Both images were included as to remove all doubt as
    to your assumed trick or treating identity—never mind that stormtroopers don’t actually have the
    word “STORMTOOPER” printed on their chest.
    The masks also had a little slit in the mouth. Too small to be usable, it was just the right size to
    cut your tongue on. Which my brother and I did. Even though it hurt, and you knew it was a bad
    idea, the urge to flick your tongue in and out of the mask was insatiable. Like licking a nine-volt
    battery— it was just one of those things you had to do.
    My C3P0 costume’s smock had the Star Wars logo next a picture of Chewbacca for some reason.
    While my brother the storm trooper had on his smock a picture of a stormtrooper above the word
    “stormtrooper.” 501 st material this costume was not. I was never sure if the good people at the
    Ben Cooper factory were worried that we kids (hopped up on high fructose corn syrup) would
    forget whom we were dressed up as so they made sure we would remember; or if they were just
    lazy. One thing they were not worried about was combustibility. An errant flick of a father’s
    cigarette was all it took to go from Hoth to Mustifar.
    Instead of using the above-mentioned flammable smock, Momma got creative. Goldenrod
    yellow footie pajamas had me looking like a short Anthony Daniels. With a quick pull of a
    zipper, I was ready to go from naptime to trick or treats. My brother’s battle
    battle armor was more
    complicated. He wore a white tee shirt over white long underwear with white lady’s evening

gloves. Tall white athletic socks over tennis shoes completed the ensemble—with strips of black
    electrical tape along the elbows and arm pits for added realism.
    Daddy took a photograph right before we set out on our quest for candy. Here we are: ready to
    fill our bags with chocolate bars, suckers, candy corn, as well as the dreaded spool of dental floss
    from the house owned by the local dentist. A short stormtrooper and the droid he was looking for.

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    There was no way they could resist cuteness of that magnitude :cool:

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Great article. I love how you give the historical context how book releases were a very big deal back in the day for the younger audience who are used to this new golden age of Star wars content. And how this birthed other Star Wars genre mash ups.
    But it looks like they gave someone else author credit?

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    My Myths and Fables article is up!

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Neat. Looking forward to reading these. But Dark Empire? A clone emperor that can move his spirit into different bodies? Preposterous!

Hey...Tony Fleecs...I've seen him at cons.

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm looking forward to actually writing it!
    /kinda need to do that soon
    //deadlines don't run on jammie-time

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    An excellent read sir!

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    This is the content I'm here for :)

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks Boss. Anything in particular you liked more then say, other comic reviews? I ask as I am stumped as far as what to write for review number 4.

Number 6, I plan to discuss Luke's fall, Jungian psychology, and am trying to find the Zahn quotes from the Hand of Thrawn that retcons it all (not sure which book that is in). And, for 5 talk about Vietch's use of endnotes that then became the Tales of the Jedi...

But stumped for 4.

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Any ideas for Dark Empire? My new, new deadline is Tuesday.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I pulled out my TPB of Dark Empire but it doesn't have issue/chapter breaks (which does make for a better read). What does issue 4 cover? from what to what? Is that the bounty hunters chasing Han or is that issue 3?

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Yup, It starts with the reveal of Fett, then a chase of the Starlite Intruder (with the Falcon in tow) from Nar Shadda to Byss.

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Maybe something with the bounty hunters? It's the 40th anniversary for ESB which means it's the 40th anniversary of Dengar! and some other boring guys. Maybe how Dengar is tooling around in Dark Empire with his sidekick Boba Fett who he saved from the sarlacc. Did the Tales of the Bounty Hunters come before or after Dark Empire? There's another tie in. Ties in with the Mandalorian show too with IG 11 and the bounty hunting guild. (sadly no Dengar...yet).

22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    good stuff. thank you thank you.
    The chonology of Tales is all over the place, from post battle of hoth, to five years after endor. Historicly, in our universe, Tales (from memory, 96?)was published a few years after Dark Empire (93).

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    my boba and dengar love story should go live at noon our time. Thanks again mate. cheers. shrimp on the barbie. wut wut wut, bob's your uncle. (sorry, emailing with brits all week)

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Good article. I didn't know Boba's escape was originally told (in short form) in a West End Games book before Tales of the Bounty Hunters. You learn something every day.