main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jericho

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Has anyone been following the news of an upcoming CBS Show called Jericho?
    The plot revolves around a small midwestern town called Jericho. One day, a nuclear mushroom cloud appears on the horizon, and communications black out. No one knows if they're the last ones in the country or not.

It looks interesting, although I'd like to see the pilot. It's gotten some good reviews thus far. I believe that it's airing later next month.

Thoughts?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The previews mind me of the movie from the 80's about folk surviving a nuclear war or explosion. The 80's were a paranoid time.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  4. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I think it was an american film or tv mini-series that I was thinking of, but it has been so long ago, that I could be wrong.

Edit: It was called The Day After, that's the one i remember. I saw the name on that wiki page.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    It sounds like the book "Alas, Babylon." I'll probably give it a watch.

6. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Ah, yes, The Day After. Yeah, that was a made for (American) TV movie from the '80s. Hands down the most depressing film I've ever seen.

I doubt I'll watch this new show. The premise has become overdone. Plus, the cold war's over.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Apparently the audiance won't know anything about the nuclear blasts either - it's one of those things that will be revealed very slowly over the next season.

8. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I heard that they are trying to keep people in the dark about the whole thing. Kinda like lost.
    Alas Babylon is one of my favorite books so i'll try to check it out. I just hope it's done well.

And just remember "The the Nuclear blast doesnt kill you, your crazy post nuke neighbors just might"

dkt

9. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    There's a difference between "keeping people in the dark" and "making it up as they go along." :p

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I suspect that they've got most of the season planned out. Only problem is that if they don't do well and get cancelled, there's a hanging storyline.

11. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So when is this show starting in America? I have seen adds about it here in Australia which I think is starting either late September or early October.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah it does sound a lot like "Alas, Babylon." Like others that is one of my favorite books too so I'll most likely give this one a go.

13. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    I've actually seen the pilot and it reminded me quite a bit of Lost, because there is this sense of not knowing what's going on outside of the town (or with lost, an island). The show also has the same amount of intensity. watching it with some friends, a couple times they had to cover their eyes because it was a very intense scene.

I thought the acting was really good, especially Ashley Scott. What else has she been in?

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I was just listening to a feature on NPR, where they talked to TV critics about the worst TV shows on the list. This was one of them, which is discouraging.

15. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Well Jericho is starting on the 21st of September here in Australia!

16. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    This years Invasion. It will probably be canceled before Christmas. I'm interested in seeing it but after getting burned by ABC's cancellation of Invasion I'll pass.

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Well our local channel is giving this show a lot of hype!

Also I am quite impressed that they are debuting this show almost exactly the same time globally unlike other shows where we have to wait a couple of months after America or the UK.

18. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    as stated before, I enjoyed the pilot, but I'll probably watch it again tonight. I'm really pumped for a new ep next week.

19. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I find a few problems with this show. They say the people of this town are going to be "In the dark" and not know what happened outside their town.

1. No planes in the sky would indicate a big problem. After a week or 2 with no planes, you can pretty much say the whole country is affected.

2. Deliveries. I don't care how small the town is, somebody brings the bread, beer and gas, not to mention the mail. If it's been a week, and nothing shows up, once again, you know there's a problem.

3. "adventurous" people. I don't care how scared the town is, SOMEBODY'S gonna leave to go see what's up.

4. CNN. If it's just an accident, eventually CNN and every other news and relief organization will be crawling all over every town anywhere near the accident.

So, I don't see how they can keep the town, and the audience "in the dark" for more than a couple of episodes, and still have it be believable. In real life, within a week or two, it would be pretty clear if it was an accident, a terrorist attack or if the whole Country is screwed.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I caught the last couple minutes of this. It's interesting, but I'm probably not going to be able to watch much of this.

21. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    It was ok. I'll keep an eye on it. But I don't really care for it.

Another similar story could be Stephen King's The Stand

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    How exactly is The Stand a similar story to this if you don't mind me asking?

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I was fairly unimpressed by the premire last night. I might watch it if it's on and I've got nothing to do, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it, or even DVR it.

24. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Damn, my T.V. went out so i missed it.

dkt

25. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    So I watched the first episode last night, unfortunately it doesn't seem anything spectacular. The strongest character IMO is The Mayor and even then he isn't too flash. Having said all that I will continue to watch it though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.