main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jericho

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I doubt that he's government. Something sketchier.

I think that was the best episode of the series. They need to focus on the aftermath and the US's response, not the cranky people in the town.

2. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if any FEMA officials will come though Jericho? They might be the avenue of how to inform 'viewers' story wise on what has happened, the US response, etc.

With Washington destroyed, is the President still alive? What has happened to Congress, the Supreme Court, etc?

I am more interested in the character of Hawkins with each and every episode!

With Jake's revelation that he was in Iraq driving trucks, do you think that is the whole truth, or is there more to the story? I mean, if he was just a contractor, why the big secrecy?

...And his brother... what a goose for leaving his wallet behind. Perhaps this will set up a conflict with the ???wood guys versus the misfits living outside of town that were featured a few episodes ago?

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Something else I haven't seen mentioned or discussed all that much:

The show evidently takes place in the year 2009.

When rewatching this fourth episode, if you pause at the scene where Hawkins is looking over Jake's passport, you can clearly identify certain dates:

The oldest date, assumedly his date of birth, was in 1977. The other two dates were 3/1/2004 and 3/2/2014, which is likely the date of issuance, and the future date of renewal, respectively. That's probably off a bit, as there were destinations on his passport from 2003, but the 1977 date is undoubtedly his birthdate. Since it's been established Jake "has been gone for five years" and is likewise 32 years old, then the show would take place in 2009.

Also, the divorce papers had "June 15, 2001" printed on them for the marriage date, and the papers also stated that April and Jake's brother have resided together as husband and wife at 4893 Deerborn Drive, Jericho, Kansas for eight years.

If this is true, then that could mean the the writers placed the show in the future to give a broader range of possible attackers. Iran and North Korea, by 2009, could very well have missiles capable of hitting the United States, though it's getting clearer and clearer now that some renegade hardliner group within the United States government itself is -- at least partly -- responsible for the attacks.

My guess is he was never part of that group at all, but was using the story as cover to gain the guy's trust and explain how he even knew about the mercenaries to begin with. I'm still thinking Jake and Hawkins are much nearer the top of their respective food chains than being a boilerplate Halliburton Driver/Hired Thug or Basic FBI agent.

Hired guns just don't have the breadth of abilities and knowledge that either of them possess -- don't know that many thugs that can perform an emergency field-trach when pushed, for example. Does anyone else see the "Pool Boy" comments made by Jake and Hawkins as two operators "tipping their hats" to each other? As if to say, "You have your secrets, and I have mine." From freeze-framing the computer screen in that episode, it appears that Hawkins might be NSA -- on the back-left in the background behind Jake's profile are the letters NSA, in full caps.

Another thought:

Did anyone notice how Hawkins was smiling when he was reading Jake's "black-ops" information on the laptop? Remember, his group is now "a man down," per his conversation with the dying man from Denver.

Think he could try to recruit Jake?

4. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Good points.

And how could a mere truckdriver know how to interpret the FEMA symbols / terminology / sign?

5. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    SPOILERS from an upcoming episode:

In either the last or next-to-last "cliffhanger" episode of the first fall "mini-season," the Chinese drop relief supplies on the town.

This is going to go far beyond the mere reconstruction of the US government, possibly to the point where foreign powers ultimately "re-colonize" the country "for our own protection."

Hawkins -- the so-called "St. Louis cop" -- could be a part of sleeper cells that would monitor the aftermath and attempt to guide survivors into the fold of the new regime. He obviously knew that one guy they found behind the dumpster, and he has way too much fieldcraft knowledge to be post-9/11, TSA-trained street cop.

I know cops who can work on lawnmowers and paint a house, but they can't work on or even lightly operate a HAM radio. I know cops who fly part-time on the side, but can't change the oil in their own cars. I don't know too many cops that have sat-nav capability and mysterious drums bricked up in their basements who can fix a generator, and just happen to have exposure suits handy for special occaisions.

He looked like he was well-versed in donning that suit on the spur of the moment, as well. Remember that movie Jarhead? Those guys were simply sad at getting into those suits on the fly.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Very interesting

7. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Again on the background of Jake... how would a truck driver know how to rig up explosives? There is still more to him than meets the eye! ;)

Looks like Ravenwood have been set up again as future antagonists...

It was ironic that the town outcasts / troublemakers came to the rescue. I wonder how they were conviced, and what future favours will be redeemed...

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I guess it was too much to hope that this week's episode would be as good as the one before. Are the people living on an island? Because that one bridge isn't the only way into the town. I'm getting really tired of the characters making stupid decisions and arguments.

9. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Well, they are country-folk after all! :p

(runs for cover)

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Country folk tend to be practical. I'm sure that they'd not hesitate to go a couple miles out of their way to another road or something.

11. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    The TV station airing Jericho here in Australia is hyping up the MID-SEASON cliff-hanger by saying it's the season finale, I mean, C'mon, Do they really think we are going to believe that they are at the end of the season already?

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, they've sorta done that here, which is annoying.

13. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Good episode. Interesting mix of scenario with the Chinese / Russian / American in the airdrop.

What is the logical conclusion? The Democratic party helped nuke America with their fellow Commies the Chinese and the Russians to bring about the glorious new revolution! :p

14. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Loved last night's episode!

Eric Green needs to be shot.
    Gracie got stabbed, though the shot showed many people walking outside her shop, surely someone would have seen it.

Previews of next week suggest Dale is once again trying to be Mr. Hero

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Decent enough episode, although I'd rather that they didn't show all the random drama-ish things that they've been going on. That being said, I did like the airdrop. This show is good at the openings, and the entire thing with Jed and the generator was interesting. The divorce/family stuff? not so much. They need to hire better writers for the dialog here.

That being said, I'm kinda hoping that the shopkeeper will end up dying. I really can't stand her character.

16. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Looking at the Wikipedia articles for Jericho and it's characters, apparently the shopkeeper does indeed die.

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Finally. Now, let's see if they'll kill off bitchy!girl.

18. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Who are you talking about? Dale's defacto, or the ex-IRS woman?

19. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    No, the teenage girl who's either stealing from the store or whining. Can't stand her character.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    WOW! Tonight's episode was excellent.

21. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    I'll keep that in mind when I watch it tonight!

22. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    I'll be watching the episode as soon as it goes online. Last week's was the worst in my opinion, so I'm hoping this one redeems.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Eh, last night's episode was slightly better than average. They've had some of the other good parts and storylines here, but they still have bitchy!girl and some of the extremely annoying romance parts.
    Looks like in the coming episodes, they'll be exploring more about the bombing, which should be good.

24. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    There is a lot of intersting info at the CBS boards. From what I can gather, Jake served in the Middle East as a mercenary for some disclosed organization and is on a flagged list by the U.S. gov't. The planes that were flying with the food drop are highly suspicious and may serve as a clue as to who is in charge. Also, considering that all of the gov't was wiped out except for who is usually not present during the Satet of The Union, I'm surprised there hasn't been any outreach from other cities going around to inform people of whats going on. Then again, by the list of cities targeted, a lot of major Army bases/mail & telecommunication centers have been destroyed too. It is possible this is an inside job also, that this is a New World Order type of attack by a few nations working together to gain control of the world. So much to consider and much left to be answered, this will be very interested when it picks back up.

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, if they focus on that aspect of the show, they'll be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.