main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jericho

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I just got the news earlier today - I can't say that I'm terribly surprised, and I'm certainly not going to miss this one, but at least they gave it a season.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    We could just bombard their offices with bottles of salt. That way they have to put it back on the air.

When I use to watch Roswell forever ago, the fanbase decide if they're going to try and cancel the show we're going to send them bottles of tobasico sauce till they put it back on the air. And this made the WB respond by putting it back in the line-up. So the only way to save Jericho is Salt.

~PK~

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    You want to help bring back Jerico? Then go here!

http://www.nutsonline.com/jericho

CBS is being attacked by peanuts by loyal fans of Jericho! 20 tons of peanuts have already been shipped to CBS!

4. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Already sent my nuts. :) Also emailed and snailmailed Nina Tassler.

Save Jericho!

This is a letter (Email) I wrote yesterday in protest to SFX (Uk magazine). Hopefully someone will read these and join the cause becaue of this.

Hello.

I am not sure if you are (were) a fan of the recently cancelled CBS show 'Jericho' - the post apocalyptic drama. Surely, as you are staff at a Science Fiction and Fantasy magazine you have heard of Jericho. Page 11 of the UK Issue #157 has an advert for the show, for a 'Catch up Special' on the Hallmark channel. The real issue is that there is nothing to catch up with anymore. As you probably also know, CBS cancelled Jericho recently - a move surprising many fans.

Now I figure that this letter (Email) would be quite fitting to go into your 'Post Apocalypse mailbag.' Seeing as Jericho is a post-apocalyptic drama.

All over the world Thousands of people are protesting. Various campaigns have raised enough money for 2 ads in major showbiz magazines - Variety, and the Hollywood reporter. We have sent thousands of pounds (22768 lbs) of Nuts to CBS headquarters. Why nuts? In the final episode Jake Green (Skeet Ulrich) borrowed the historic phrase "NUTS" in response to a final offer of surrender from a hostile neighboring town. CBS decided to cancel the show, and fans are uprising to save Jericho by sending, you got it, NUTS to CBS executives. Everyday fans are sending in Snail-Mail, aswell as filling the inboxes of the CBS executives - both email and voicemail. An online petition has as of May 27th, 10.45 GMT, achieved 87154 signatures. 87,154 people want the show back. Although a relatively small number compared to the millions of viewers, this is the largest amount of signatures on an online petition ever. The fact of the matter is, that this is not just a fight to save 'Jericho' - although we are all fighting for at least a second season, we are also fighting to show Networks that the viewers should have a say in what goes on. CBS executives wondered why, after a 3 month hiatus, and a return against the behemoth that is American Idol, viewer ratings were down by 25%. This is a hardly reliable figure, from the 'Nielsen' rating system, which is, in this modern day and age - utterly useless. I do not think I could put this into words any better, than Shaun Vegas already has:

"Dont let CBS win this battle...change the way these tv networks view their shows and the viewers FOREVER...

This is about more than Jericho..its old media vs new media and old way of metering viewers vs the new media revolution.

CBS built an immense online presense for JERICHO, encouraged people to get involved and watch the show online and now they are taking Jericho away...

CBS bemoans the demo and how the young people are not watching on TV..hello?? They are watching on TV and online on the platform YOU built and encouraged people to use..

The Nielsens have been a flawed way of looking at viewing habits of TV shows for years...Are you going to let the select few with those precious Nielsen meters decide what the REST of us are going to watch???

Again this fight is important to Jericho but more important that we the viewers be heard about how popularity of tv shows are figured out now in this new age..

If you are sick and tired of these holier than thou network executives disrespecting audiences by putting shows on and then yanking them off the air or bouncing them around the schedule with ruthless disregard for its audience...this is your fight..

If your sick and tired of being force fed this reality tv show garbage like a crack addict then this is your fight !!

If you want the networks to give us more quality original programming that is not a spin off or rip off of another series...then this is your fight.

If your a cab

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    More positive news

'Jericho' fans assail CBS with 25 tons of peanuts

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Fans trumpeting the cause of CBS' canceled drama "Jericho" have caught the network's ear.

CBS, deluged with calls, messages and shipments of nuts signifying viewer displeasure, is reconsidering its decision, a source close to the production said Tuesday.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly. A decision on whether to bring the show back, probably for a midseason run, is imminent, the source said.

"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," was the message carried by jericholives.com, one of several Web sites protesting the cancellation. "Enough! We're going to fight for this one."

Clarke Ingram, a "Jericho" fan from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and a spokesman for jericholives, said he was optimistic that CBS would find a way to revive the drama about a Kansas town isolated by a nuclear terrorist attack.

"People would paint this as teenagers in tinfoil hats" rallying behind the show, said Ingram, 50, an operations manager for two radio stations. "That's not what this is. These are educated professionals."

The show's daring premise, its writing and acting make the case for its survival, he said.

Several factors could work in the show's favor: It appeals to the young adult viewers sought by advertisers and was one of CBS' most popular shows streamed online, indicating an audience beyond that measured by traditional ratings.

CBS may also be considering the dent a long hiatus put in the show's viewership, the same scheduling misstep that hurt ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes."

The network apparently has been impressed by the display of viewer passion, which included the delivery of 50,000 pounds of peanuts to its New York offices. In the season finale, a character replies "Nuts!" to a demand that the beleaguered town of Jericho surrender.

That's the same response that a U.S. general in World War II made to a German demand for surrender at the Battle of the Bulge.

There's already been one positive outcome: CBS is donating the protest peanuts to charities, including one that sends care packages to troops overseas.

Keep up the fight to save Jericho!!!

6. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    [face_dancing] Frak me, we saved it!!!

http://jerichoboard.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=CBSMBJericho&tid=13329&redirCnt=1

Below is a message from CBS Entertainment.

June 6, 2007

To the Fans of Jericho:

Wow!

Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series. You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard.

As a result, CBS has ordered seven episodes of ?Jericho? for mid-season next year. In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more ?Jericho,? we will need more viewers.

A loyal and passionate community has clearly formed around the show. But that community needs to grow. It needs to grow on the CBS Television Network, as well as on the many digital platforms where we make the show available.

We will count on you to rally around the show, to recruit new viewers with the same grass-roots energy, intensity and volume you have displayed in recent weeks.

At this time, I cannot tell you the specific date or time period that ?Jericho? will return to our schedule. However, in the interim, we are working on several initiatives to help introduce the show to new audiences. This includes re-broadcasting ?Jericho? on CBS this summer, streaming episodes and clips from these episodes across the CBS Audience Network (online), releasing the first season DVD on September 25 and continuing the story of Jericho in the digital world until the new episodes return. We will let you know specifics when we have them so you can pass them on.

On behalf of everyone at CBS, thank you for expressing your support of ?Jericho? in such an extraordinary manner. Your protest was creative, sustained and very thoughtful and respectful in tone. You made a difference.

Sincerely,

Nina Tassler

President, CBS Entertainment

P.S. Please stop sending us nuts :)

We did it!!!!! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh my, first Passions, now Jericho. Maybe 2007 really is the year of the viewer!

8. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    The return of Jericho is impressive...most impressive.

9. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I love the P.S. :D

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm re-watching the first season in inner tube. Hopefully if enouhg people do this, they'll notice the increase in downloads.

11. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
  12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    According to http://jericholives.com/, Friday, July 6th, CBS will begin to air re-runs of Season 1. So please tell your friends about this great show and get them to watch it.

More information will be available on http://jericholives.com/ as to additional things we can do to ensure that jericho survives beyond the next 7 episodes.

[image=http://jericholives.com/images/CAINKDM7.jpg]

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Skeet Ulrich thanks the fans of Jericho in the latest TV Guide, closing the interview saying it's the fans show now. :)

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Tonight's the night!!!

[image=http://jericholives.com/images/rp/poster_style/jerichoflag_ad.jpg]

The TV show Jericho was cancelled a few months ago, but was brought back from the dead after fans sent over 20 tons of nuts to CBS telling them what they thought. (you'll have to see the season 1 finale to find out why we sent nuts to them, but it is a Battle of Bastogne reference).

For once, the suits at CBS listened and have brought this show back on the air. Starting tonight, they are rebroadcasting season one, and then will have 7 new episodes in the fall for Season 2. For there to be a season 2.5 or 3, we need more people to check this show out.

If you are a fan of good TV, and sick of the brain-dead drivel that is on most channels, you might like Jericho. Boring name, great show. For fans of good TV, this is almost as good as getting Firefly back on the air.

It is on at 9PM EST on CBS starting tonight, July 6th.

For more info on the show, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_tv

The storyline revolves about the residents of Jericho, a small, rural Kansas town, in the aftermath of nuclear attacks on twenty-three major cities in the contiguous United States. The series begins with a visible nuclear detonation of unknown origin over nearby Denver, Colorado, and a loss of power and modern communications, effectively isolating Jericho. Later, power is restored to Jericho by what is alluded to as the efforts of the U.S. government, but soon after, an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) disables all electronics. Several themes regularly addressed in the show are gathering of information, community identity, public order, limited resources, the value of family, and internal and external threats. The show also features several mysteries involving the backgrounds of major characters, the perpetrators of the attack, and the extent of damage to the United States and its government.

The pivotal character in this story is Jake Green, the 32-year-old son of Mayor Johnston Green, who returns home to briefly visit his family and friends before becoming stranded as a result of the catastrophe. After a somewhat awkward return home and a tense reunion with his father, Jake steps up to become a leader in Jericho, fighting to protect the town and its citizens. As the people of Jericho struggle to survive in a changed world, they remain unaware that one of the newest residents, Robert Hawkins, knows much more about the attacks than he lets on.

Please check out this excellent show!!! If you can't see it live, go to http://www.cbs.com/ and see the shows for free online on Innertube.

[image=http://jericholives.com/images/rp/poster_style/Jericho_battle_continues.jpg]

15. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I have to say from watching the first three episodes, that while the people writing this may know drama, they know jack about technology. I can't count the number of stupid mistakes, errors, inconsistencies, and popular misconceptions that are in this show.
    I also don't think the writers know much about small towns or Kansas either.
    Worst of all, the people don't know much about nuclear weapons and their side effects. When the central premise of your show revolves around the after-effects of nukes, this is a crucial short-coming.

Stupidity for the sake of advancing drama is still stupidity.

And the soundtrack... For crying out loud, turn it down, would ya? Mood music should not be louder than the people speaking. Not to mention the selections are bloody annoying.

And when the first 5 minutes of a show have to be flashbacks of everything that has already happened... forget it. Honestly, except for minor plot details, don't need it. Show what happened last week, and that's it.

Why is the one kid required to go everywhere and do everything? There's a whole town of people. Supposedly, some of them are mature adults with reasoning processes. They can do things too.

Read Lucifer's Hammer or see if you can find a PBS station showing Terry Nation's "Survivors" series. This one is a crappy soap-opera.

In a way, this show is kinda a throwback to the 1950's idea of what post-nuclear US would be like. That the world and laws of physics are following the ignorance and policies of that time just stretches my willing suspension of disbelief too far. And there just happens to be a FBI guy there is too ludicrious to even consider.

16. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I'm waiting for this to get cancelled...again. :p

17. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Watch Episode 18 (AKA)

18. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Up for recent discussion.

19. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Although, having now read a few updated news items today concerning the WGA strike, it seems weird to wait until the network's strike-leverage will probably be over. If the strike gets resolved before Christmas as they're now saying (unless this article's prognostications happen to come true), they'll probably have new episodes of many series by February 12.

At first, I thought they were airing it opposite ratings-juggernaut House, but now I see they're airing it at 10 PM. Might not be a bad time slot for Jericho.

20. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Two new promos is posted on CBS's official site. Scroll down on the page and you'll find "Jericho - Mystery" and "Jericho - All New Season".

It looks very good. [face_hypnotized]

21. Obi-Zahner_Scrooge

Obi-Zahner_Scrooge Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2001
    Okay, I'm saving 1x22 for my new laptop, but I've seen the rest of the first season.

My god. This show is so stressful for me to watch. You don't know what it's done to me. I've read the Nuclear War Survival Skills book ( http://www.nukepills.com/docs/nuclear_war_survival_skills.pdf ], and I was in Sam's Club this morning and seeing all this food, for an incredibly low price, and no one squabbling over it made me so relieved. To be able to walk down my street without fearing my neighbor, or going outside means risking my life. I empathize with these people so much. This show seriously freaks me out.

It's really hard for me to watch an episode without knowing what happens, who lives or dies. It's very cathartic and I enjoy it, but it really wears me down.

Nuclear War seriously terrifies me. I'm so glad we've avoided that apocalypse so far.

22. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    What are you, some sort of time traveler from the fifties? Perhaps you might be at greater risk of actually seeing a nuclear attack, terrorists are never going to be able to get the number of nukes the USSR and the US had pointed at each other.

23. xm41

xm41 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    I hate to tell you but those Russian nukes are still there and still pointed at us.

Ron

24. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Putin is too busy at the cash register to worry about thinking about the button.

25. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    "Goodness gracious, a negro!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.