main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jerry Goldsmith Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Kenneth Morgan, Mar 9, 2014.

1. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015

Without Goldsmith's awesome score, this film would only have been half as good. It's one of my favorite horror movies, along with the Exorcist. This accompanies my favorite scene, and part of the reason I love it is because it features Patrick Troughton, who I like quite a bit. Pity he couldn't regenerate after he got speared. :p

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As this is the anniversary of Jerry Goldsmith's passing, I'm re-posting one piece that got deleted earlier...

...and one I neglected to post earlier.

3. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Seeing as this is Jerry Goldsmith's birthday...

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    His orchestral renditions of the Mulan songs in the end title suite far surpass the songs themselves

One of my very favorite imagery/music moments in film.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Sometimes it's worth letting all that spam come through from some site you ordered one CD or DVD from about five years ago - Chinatown is finally getting an expanded edition:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10122/.f

Was one or two emails away from unsubscribing to Screen Archives Entertainment, then spotted this a couple of days ago. Ordered it straight away.
    There's nothing completely unreleased (i.e. alternate cues or anything from deleted scenes), and I suspect that all the cues will have appeared on the widely-circulated 'complete' bootleg, but by all accounts, this is the best release of the soundtrack yet, both for remastering the original album and for officially releasing the actual film score.

Howard Hand likes this.
  6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Unrelated, I just finally picked up the 3 disc complete release of the Star Trek The Motion Picture score by Goldsmith. It's a classic and the sound quality is so much better than what I had before. Terrible film, but great score. One of his all time best.

Howard Hand likes this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I have the 20th Anniversary two-disc release, but I think I might just upgrade to this one. I'm interested in hearing the alternate tracks. However, I'm not about to ditch the LP I got back in the day.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Out of all of his scores, my favorite of Jerry's is his main theme for Star Trek: First Contact. That is in fact one of my favorite film scores of all time. Just such a beautiful melody, and very representative of his more emotionally moving work.

Howard Hand likes this.
  9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You're right. Gorgeous theme. I love that score and own the newer expanded release.

10. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    In recognition of Jerry Goldsmith's passing on this date in 2004...