main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Read MagnarTheGreat's post above mine... there has been speculation by those in the know that Lucas did not care for TLJ's take on his ideas even though he thought the film was "beautifully made." I'm not bashing the ST, I am just saying that Lucas has said when he loved a film and he had a different choice of words for TLJ.

2. Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker

Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016

Yes. Always has he demonstrated that he has taste. /s

3. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Indeed, that's more tasteful than the TLJ. ;)

Oryx-I likes this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not with TFA but with VII when it was based on his story. What exactly was what when is nebulous. Publicly Lucas seemed to still be involved until early 2013 but that could just be cover as they didn't want to reveal that they weren't using his stories until a bit later. Maybe they were mining Lucas for ideas until JJ came in full time after STID was released. JJ has said they weren't using Lucas' stories before he came on board but that doesn't fit. The ST has used plot points and some elements from what Lucas came up with.

Yet JJ made a particular point of it. It might be nothing more than publicity of course but Lucas does that for them by showing up occasionally here or there and going to the premieres ( not sure if he went to all of them).

When bringing back Sidious and saying that (at least for marketing purposes) this is the last of a 9 episode saga going back 40 years you have to have some kind of attempt to show that is the case.

Possibly they will do a couple of trailers rather than just one more and one will be a "complete saga" trailer like the fans ones that have been done.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Darkslayer, 2Cleva and PendragonM like this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    In other words, nothing but hearsay by people who don't know Lucas at all, got it. There are way too many people out there who claim to know what other people think, and so far none of them have ever proven that they were right. It is completely unknown what Lucas thinks about any of the new movies beyond what he has publically stated (and he isn't exactly someone who would gush over or bash something in public). People shouldn't just take the word from someone who is supposedly in the know. Even if someone had some somewhat decent sources on ongoing productions, that still doesn't mean that they know anything about Lucas or what he thinks.

It sounds way too much like "my brother's best friend's aunt's dog-keeper once hang out with Lucas' dog". There isn't really any use in such statements, because Lucas would never go out and bother to comment on such rumours, which means anyone with "sources" can claim just about anything. Now, if Spielberg or someone like him would for some reason state what George Lucas thought about a specific movie, there is at least a decent chance of it being factually true. But even then, that person could have misunderstood his thoughts, or, if quoted by a third person, may not even have made that exact statement.

To top things off, there are plenty of people who try way too hard to read between the lines or try to come up with an interpretation of their own. Just look at all the people who twist the words of Iger or Kennedy so that they fit to their alternate reality.

R.D. and indydefense like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I've found Mark to be a much more trustworthy source on Star Wars than JJ and KK since the sale.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    We've seen how Lucas works with dialogue over and over again though. So Lucas will say the most important thing to him in the world are his children. So that means he means his 4 kids right?

Sure but then he also talks about how he sees his movies as being his "children". Just as in the movies Lucas is very specific and judicious with his use of words. This is the same person who created Sidious.

8. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    The only movie he's publicly stated his dislike for is TFA. He called it "a retro movie" and said that "they wanted to make a movie for the fans," whereas he would've made a movie that would tell a good story.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Bashing TLJ in JJ's thread on TROS forum?

Yall need a new hobby.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  10. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Well, they could've brought RJ back for TROS...

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't believe he was ever offered it, and it would have been logistically crazy to throw him on, given that he was in the thick of post production on TLJ when Trevorrow left.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, let's keep things on topic in here.

13. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    We've seen the North By Northwest influence in the teaser trailer, as well as a general Western vibe to that scene. What other specific influences do you think JJ will bring to the table? Prior to releasing his own movies, does JJ ever mention specific older films that influenced his movie?

14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Not even kidding, I could be okay if Kylo got shot in the head and lost his memory and magically became a better person ;)

Rodie likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Per the North by Northwest reference, there's also this shot from Lawrence of Arabia. Abrams mentioned they went to the some of the same locations in Jordan.

[​IMG]

16. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Interesting that Lucas also wanted exact film location from Lawrence of Arabia for AOTC scene.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    NXNW? Tie Fighter and Rey?

18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    In addition to Lawrence of Arabia and North By Northwest, perhaps Rango.

Maybe Rey latches onto the TIE, and Kylo soars high into the atmosphere. They have a brief zero-g duel, then they drop back down to the planet, crashing the craft.

19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...film-has-been-planned-from-the-very-beginning

20. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    After this VF interview I hate JJ even more as an filmmaker.
    Why does he think he is the Gospel of SW?
    He knows nothing about it, everything he does is a boring bad copie of what came before.
    There are fanfilms out there a million times more spectacular and unique then everything he ever created.
    Lucas should have given the franchise to a studio with some real vision for the Saga.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Abadacus and CaptainEO like this.
  21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

He...doesn't? That's why he consulted with George on this?

Crazy thought.

Bor Mullet and RetropME like this.
  22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Hmmm... is this another MarvelRulesStarWarsDrools prank in the making?

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    What I hope it means is that he will be more willing to take risks, even if his choices end up being controversial to some people.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/star-wars-cover-story?verso=true

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yep. Controversial is what I'm wanting, bring it.

IlhamKamaruddin and ewoksimon like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I love that everyone now assumes this. It warms my heart knowing how much we traumatized you all. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.