main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    George is the through-line here.

Of course not, they each had George and his vision.

This is a lesson for RJ, not this thread.

Dang right it is. I don't know how one can observe the current state of Star Wars, be a reasonable person and also not be cynical. To me it is the most reasonable response.

The lies surounding Star Trek Into Darkness are the least of that movie's problems. I'd rather he just appologize for the whole debacle.

Agree to disagree.

JJ is an adept spin-doctor. This is one of the reasons the suits like him so much. To me, there is a tinge of weasel in everything he says.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Glad to see assuming the worst in people is the flavor of the month/year/years.

KyleKartan and jeangreyforever like this.
  3. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Guess I'm not a reasonable person [face_dunno]

4. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    To be fair, Irvin Kershner had little to no story input on Empire - that was Lucas and Kasdan, with a bit of the late Leigh Brackett. Not really the same situation.

It's not that cynical. Have you never told a little white lie to keep your career heading in the right direction? I'm pretty sure anyone in a position of power would have. I'm not sure it even qualifies as cynicism at all - it's just an acknowledgement of human nature in action. It certainly doesn't make JJ a 'bad person' - but surely you have to admit that he comes across as the ultimate company man - a corporate politician par excellence?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    77FN likes this.
  5. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    But what's to point to substantiating anything counter to what he's saying?

Concepts introduced in TLJ like the force-bridge/mindmeld stuff are being doubled down on here. And I don't know he's even that much of a "company man", he voiced disagreements with Kennedy & the other suits on TFA. Unlike most directors Abrams is sort of above any necessitated ass-kissing by now anyway, even before Star Wars he was one of the biggest genre/blockbuster director-producers out there. What's his motive?

jeangreyforever likes this.
  6. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Well - as you mentioned above, he's classy, he's doing what decency dictates. Rian Johnson's no doubt had a horrible time on social media since TLJ - if I was in JJ's position I certainly wouldn't be looking to add any more to his misery by feeding the trolls. And the force bridging stuff is really only an extension of Obi Wan's and Vader's 'disturbance in the force', Vader/Luke/Leia's force comms at the end of Empire etc. It's just amplified in power - bigger and better than before, just like Starkiller base.

77FN likes this.
  7. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Who started amplifying it into more though? Rian. Abrams has chosen to run with that. If he dislikes what Rian did, then his choices here certainly don't reflect that.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  8. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    Rian literally said that he was inspired from the moments where Vader and Luke could sense each other but he went bigger and bolder in TLJ. JJ is building onto even that concept for the finale.

9. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    But Rian just hates George's stuff and decided to do the opposite to make some irrational point, remember? :p

10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    After the latest leaked rumours (10.10.19), I wonder how this puts George Lucas' influence into context. Is the recut in line with suggestions that GL gave JJ or has the input had an opposite effect and the film has been reshot and recut to take it away from GLs ideas? Reshoots and re-editing does leave a big question to how JJ came to the conclusion of what will be the final cut from what was originally written...

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://ew.com/movies/2019/10/18/jj-abrams-star-wars-rise-skywalker-ending/

12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I can't believe JJ has ripped off Alien vs Predator from an idea of McQuarrie for the visual of Palps throne.:p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I watched ST 09 again yesterday. What a film. Don’t worry guys, whatever the leaks look like on paper, JJ will make an enjoyable, action-packed spectacle with great character moments.

indydefense and Darth Dookacas like this.
  14. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    But that film is not aging well, in my opinion. Especially after you see what they have been able to do with a show like Star Trek Discovery. ST09 looks downright goofy and airy in retrospect.

77FN and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  15. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It looks abit like the bad guys ship in his first star trek movie too.

JJ likes his sharp things.

16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Some old quotes from 10+ years ago:

J. J. Abrams: "
    I'm very interested in the [new] TV series [Star Wars: The Clone Wars]. I was lucky enough to spend some time with George Lucas and we talked a bit about the show. It sounds really interesting in the way that he's approaching the series both from a behind-the-scenes point of view and also the on-screen narrative which sounds really intriguing. I feel like the world of Star Wars has gotten to be so vast, not just in terms of the various mediums that it occupies, but because of the visual possibilities that technology has allowed and Industrial Light & Magic is so remarkably capable at creating. My favorite thing about Star Wars is the ability to tell an incredibly personal, intimate and emotional story against a backdrop of conflict and battle that's planetary and massive. What I would love to see is a story about characters that I am desperately entertained by and definitely care about, and keep that story as focused as possible and make more of that than the pyrotechnics of it all which to me is what makes Star Wars so brilliant. If it's a TV show, that's terrific. If it's animated, I'm all for it. If it's a radio show or a video game or an online experience -- whatever it is -- I would love to discover in this vast universe some new characters that make me feel the way that Luke, Leia and Han Solo did." (October 16, 2008)

J. J. Abrams:
    “It’s funny how in a weird way sometimes by demystifying a character it takes away from some of the fun that you felt about that character. It takes the mystery out of it. Sometimes a character is more interesting when you don’t know everything about them. Even someone from my generation — and I’m ancient compared to so many of the Star Wars fans that are out there — for me the character of Darth Vader was always so compelling because you were putting together all these thing in your head and making all these assumptions that to get to know Anakin as much as we ultimately did, changes the way you consider Darth Vader. It’s crazy to me that my kids relate to Anakin; which to me is criminal because I grew up believing Vader is a bad guy. I related to Luke and Leia and Han Solo. You don’t relate to Vader! I still think it’s wrong to be on Anakin’s side. So I guess there’s no one character I can point to and say that I want to know more about him or her, it’s just that Star Wars is so vast it would be great to find characters that have that level of emotional intimacy.” (October 16, 2008)

17. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    And yet he's going to demystify the heck out of Palpatine. Ironic.

18. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Or is he? dot dot dot

19. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Michael Giacchino on TROS

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cosmic...kywalker-cry-super-cool-michael-giacchino?amp

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  20. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    I don't know, giving him a family sure sounds like demystification to me.

21. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I believe Magnar's implication is that the Palpatine twist isn't actually the familial twist that will be in the film we see in December.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    2Cleva and alwayslurking like this.
  22. Lord Exor

Sep 1, 2019
    I would love to believe that, but that isn't what the leaks indicate; unless of course the leaks were misconstrued. The latter case is seeming less and less likely.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Palps is Shmi's brother.

24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

He says without having seen the movie, having any idea how Palpatine's actually back like the rest of us, or providing any assertion on how Palpatine can't be mysterious anymore because he procreated that one time, maybe not even biologically.

Show's over, guys, Palpatine ruined!

25. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I guess that's why Kylo is a failure as a villain, and the majority of the fans don't like the guy. It makes sense now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.