main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Job Aid

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Alakin_Marshwalker, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Hey everyone, been a while since I posted but between moving and finally finding a job, I don't have as much time as I used to. Anyhoo, was just at a job interview (More like a cattle slaughter house complete with a chute to follow formed of chairs) for a full time job (As my current job is part time). In the pre-interview room there were playing Star Wars Episode 2 and it amused me. But it got me to thinking that most jobs (especially in Victoria) are given to people without ever being advertised. So maybe if we start a thread about jobs we hear about, we can let those less fortunate jobless souls who frequest our board know of any oppurtunities.

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    great idea for a thread, Alakin! (And it's good to see you back!)

I know Winners at Tillicum is hiring right now, and only advertaising in-store: there's opportunities there. As well, Movie Review at Helmcken and Interurban is hiring, and a whole swack of SubWay locations as well.

Best of luck to you, but I'll keep my eyes on this thread, and update everytime I hear about something. :)

*Derisa*

3. Dark_Luke

Dark_Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2001
    Isn't subway always hiring...? Everytime I turn around my friends are applying there. Anyway, every time I go into a Starbucks they have signs up looking for people... usually manager-level positions, and I think they want two or three years in customer service as a qualification. But it would probably be a pretty decent job (plus, free coffee, if they're half-decent people).

I've heard the arena is looking for people, too... I know they've got ads out for manager-types as well, but I'd imagine they'll need all sorts when it's done.

4. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    If you're really game, why not try applying to the Canadian Forces Reserves? This branch of the military is generally part-time employment (whether Army, Navy or Air), but does afford its members with opportunities for full time employment, including volunteering (I stress the 'volunteer') for overseas opportunities. That's how I wound up serving six months in Egypt in 1988. Also, unlike the Regular military, you aren't tied in. Additionally, once you've completed your Basic Training and initial Trades' Training, you are eligible to apply for Assistance for various Applied Learning outside of the military. Usually you are offered one to three choices of career options, but if you're so inclined, you may request a specific career. IT is an extra trade which you may apply for once you are qualified in something else. Being prejudiced, I prefer the Air Force because it has greater options, opportunitites and more 'real world' application training. However, we do have limited positions.

The pay is good, even for Privates, and in 2005 a REAL pension kicks in. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll give you the skinny on when and where you can check out my unit. I'll even give you a tour.

Just a thought for all you aspiring Rebels and Imperials.

5. Fletcher_Skittles

Fletcher_Skittles Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    do they teach you to say stufff like that in the military? cause i feel like joining up right now
    and i am afraid

6. Fixer808

Fixer808 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    "Come on, Billy, let's take a look at the 'Killing Floor'! Don't let the name fool you, it's not really a floor, but more of a metal grate that allows material to sluice through!"
    Ahh Troy McClure... eases the pain...

7. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Yes, you have to go through Basic Training. Is it hard? According to recent polls among recruits it's nothing like I went through 21 years ago. I also worked as the clerk for three summers for the Air Reserve Basic when it was in Borden, Ontario. It's not that bad. You DO need to be able to do a specific number of tricep push-ups (these are harder than standard push-ups), sit-ups, swim, and you have to run (not recommended if you are prone to shin splints). You DO have to man 'cleaning stations' and learn how to take care of your uniform. Oh, and shooting the C7 is kid's stuff compared to the 13 pound weapon I qualified on in 1983.

We're trained to be thinkers vice follow without question, but you have to be prepared to 'fit in' and 'obey commands'. Yes, you will learn drill. The course is approximately 10 weeks long. So if you're game, go for it!

8. Dark_Luke

Dark_Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2001
    Note to Self: do not piss of haruwindsong.

I know FutureShop is looking for Seasonal Employees right now... generally they work October to December. I'm sure lots of other places are looking for some temps as well, if anyone just wants some cash for the Holidays!

9. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    I suggest applying to a securiy guard agency. Bear with me for a second. They are always looking for people, some are willing to pay you for the small amount of training required and most can adjust your schedule to fit your hours of availability. This can be an ideal job for a student, most sites only require your pressence and a walk around the perimeter once an hour, the rest of your time you can use studying for exams. Please keep in mind not all sites are like this and most of the time it is night shifts, or on call work, not to mention minimum wage for most sites. However it is work an ideal job for a student, I used to work for secure guard and they are always looking for people to fill in and do this or that, if your willing to do the hours! Winter slows down a little bit but the Summer can get quite demanding.

Just my 2 cents

Randy

10. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Skittles, me lad, I have received permission for Victory Base members to visit my Squadron. I'm trying to get a small group together on a Monday morning. For four or more people I can lay on the full treat: briefing room introduction, video, then a tour of the various technical 'shops' in the hangar, plus a tour through one of the helicopters. Here's your opportunity to see some of the job first-hand and talk to the technicians and aircrew (not to mention yours truly, the trusty clerk).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.