main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I always thought the ST3 was Finn, Poe, Rey. You don’t group a villain with hero’s, even if he has a more significant role.

2. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Depends. When the marketing first started the main focus was on Rey, Kylo, and Finn. But Poe was so popular that they upgraded him.

I remember a lot of people saw Poe as a side character back during TFA era felt that it was a missed opportunity not to have him in the movie more. Hence, why he gets such a big role in TLJ. That being said, Finn-Rey-Kylo were all foils to each other and have had more development than Poe up until this point, so that's why I always saw them as true big three. If anything, Poe's character always seems more linked to Finn than anything else.

Neesh and godisawesome like this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yeah, Poe was a supporting character with no arc in TFA. But they increased him and gave him an arc later on.

I do like how he’s also a foil to Kylo now, as with his relationship with Leia, runs counter to Kylo/Leia and what could have been if he stayed good and joined his mother.

If Poe died like originally planned, I don’t think having a Finn/Leia dynamic would work as well.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Kylo could have gone several ways when it comes to a career move, he could have followed after his father, his mother or his family Jedi linage. With Poe you know they are just kinda setting him up as a leader figure to take over from Leia one day.

You just have to look at episode 8 to see that there were 3 plots going on, the one involving Rey, the one involving Finn and the other involving Poe. Rose almost fits in as the Lando, where she came into the story late but she likely will have a significant role too now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Poe was a better foil to Kylo with his relationship with Leia in TFA. I actually think TLJ undermined this in the extreme.

Poe's main connection at this point is to Finn. They have a good bond.

6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Not really, Leia did not see Poe as a Son, and there was nothing that said Kylo ever wanted to follow in her footsteps, so there is no butting heads there.

7. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Isn’t the only Poe-Leia interaction in TFA like

Poe: “General, this is Finn.”

Not much of a shown relationship, I’d say.

Rodie likes this.
  8. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Poe spoke of her glowingly. And yeah, tiny demonstrations of admiration and respect >>> overt disrespect on both sides of the relationship. TFA Poe devoted his life to Leia's cause because he believed in her. Conversely he was her most trusted agent that she sent to LST. TLJ Poe laughed off her orders and then she soap opera slapped him and patronized him. That's not a bond. In TLJ they're colleagues that have to work together.

leopardhk47 and Def Trooper like this.
  9. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    We’re OT. But I totally disagree.

TFA was like they were co-workers.

TLJ treated their relationship more in the familiar. From the chastisement, the conversations, the way Poe was watching over her in bed with her comatose state.

Definitely more like a realistic play-mother-son dynamic. Which is why I compare it to what-could-have-been with Kylo.

Even Carrie said she loved the Poe-Leia dynamic in TLJ before she died.

10. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I mean, if you place no value on respect, okay.

No that was not a realistic mother/son dynamic for a grown ass man in the military. But then again, RJ is a fan of Robert Bly...

11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It was totally realistic of a son working for his mom. As someone who did at one point, it’s very believable.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  12. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Again. Military. Galaxy at stake. Poe is a full grown adult that devoted his life to Leia's cause.

This conversation is reminded me of how Kylp is a baby. RJ likes Robert Bly who's core philosophy is something like modern men are trapped between adolescence and adulthood.

Okay whatever, but for this viewer, the Poe/Leia relationship I saw was garbage and I have no investment in people treating each other like dirt as they did with such awful resolution, as they got.

13. HostofJakku

HostofJakku Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2016
    I'm wandering if Finn may be a mandalorian? If jannah is his sister, she wears a cape that may be of mandalorian origin, it might give a little more weight to the"I am your sister" reveal. Most associate her cape with Lando, and she could be landos daughter, I just thought about her being mandalorian. Could be right?

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Her cape looks like it's made of parachute silk. Probably scavenged from the Death Star like the rest of her gear. So, no, she's not a Mandalorian.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yeah. LucasFilm is saving all the Mandalorian stuff for.............The Mandalorian

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well that doesn't mean she's not a Mandalorian. It just means the cape is probably not a clue pointing in that direction. She could still be a Mandalorian though. I doubt she is but you never know.

17. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    Force Sensitive Finn. Do I dare to hope?

*Thinks about it*

No, I do not. As much as I like Boyega, I am leery of any pre-premiere hype and speculation that he encourages (even with seemingly innocuous interaction). I went into TLJ confident that even without a Force Sensitivity reveal that his story would be well told, relevant to Finn, and meaningful to the overall struggle in part due to Boyega's enthusastic "Finn ain't playing around this time" quote. I so wish Boyega had just demurred on any further speculation. There is nothing to be gained to continue to tease Force Sensitivity if he knows there isn't going to be any such revelation. Better to undersell and over perform, than over sell and under perform.

18. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    When does the next Finn:Age of Resistance come out?

19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    What do your mean?
    It was only a one shot issue.

That was it.

20. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    All the AoR comics are only one issue per character.

21. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Okay, I thought it was mini-series.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Nope. That was your only Finn extended content this year

23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    True, but as we see in the opening of TFA, Leia has trusted Poe on the mission to find Lor and get the map. So they are obviously close, it's just we don't see that scene on screen of Leia sending Poe out on the mission.

Def Trooper likes this.
  24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Either that or Poe said Well Leia doesn't trust me to do it but i am gonna do it anyway. and Leia was like POEEEEE! *Shakes fist at sky*

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    HAHA would have been a great scene...But doesn't the crawl say specifically that Leia sent her most daring pilot...or something like that.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.