main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJW

FJW Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2019
    Finns story died with TLJ. JJ doesn't have time to have him be anything other than support for Rey, along side Poe. The most exciting development Abrams can write for Boyega's character is a possible KOR showdown. We know he lives by the end of the movie so the best thing that can come from TROS is a buddy series along side Issac on Disney+ like Falcon and Winter soldier.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What would it be about?

What director is interested?

Is Boyega interested in doing a Finn spin-off, because it doesn’t sound like he is.

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Doesn’t sound like you’ve given Finn’s character any thought at all tbh.

4. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    This is old, but I somehow hadn't seen it before. I love what JB says about 30 seconds into this clip... that he stopped while reading the script and called JJ and thanked him. That really has me excited for what's in store for Finn.

5. FJW

FJW Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2019
    I'm sure i heard him say that he'd love to come back as Finn at celebration. Granted I'm sure he'd prefer a movie. It seems like Disney is relegating retired movie characters to the streaming service and Poe and Finn can be easily placed into some kind of republic agent series. I dunno maybe the Cassian series and The Mandalorian already fill that creative space.

6. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    Not that you were pushing this idea but it's bothered me for some time that Finn can't just be Finn alone. It's always Finn and Poe. When people talk about/speculate about spin offs it's always Finn AND Poe. For this movie it's Finn and Poe. While I liked their interaction at the beginning of TFA, to me (emphasis on "to me") it wasn't the end-all-be-all that I feel like some people make it. Like, it was so great you could never imagine one without the other. And yet I see this often. If by some miracle there was a Finn stand alone movie, at BEST, I'd only want cameos from Poe and/or Rey. I'm pretty sure if there was a spin off for Poe there wouldn't be quite the push to include Finn as part of it (because Poe did have a life before he met Finn). I just think that the concept of Finn could exist on his own in another movie. All hypothetical conjecture here because unless TRoS makes a case for it, there isn't going to be a Finn spin off.

Troopa212 likes this.
  7. FJW

FJW Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2019
    Your right. My initial thought was to propose Finn being on his own but it immediately occurred to me that the only way i could see Finn being approved to return was with Poe there. If these leaks are true then its clear the LF is basing their creative direction on fan forum sentiment. "Rey's a Palpatine who chooses to be a skywalker and saves the jedi alongside her maybe future husband Kylo". The narrative in the fandom has already been set: Finn and Poe are some kind of power duo. In episode 9 Finn "is back with Poe" . Rian lessened Johns significance in these movies, I really believe that. JJ doesn't have enough time to really raise Finn from where Rian left him, so he's going with most straight forward and safe approach Poe/Finn buddy adventure. He shouldn't need a spin off because the ST was supposed to be his story as much as it was Rey and Rens, not to sound crass but Finn was always supposed to be more important to the narrative than Poe.

8. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    I don't think it's crass it's the truth. And I say this as someone who is glad someone stepped in and prevailed in TFA in convincing them not to kill of Poe. The overall story is better with him included (to me). I just don't think Finn needs him as a crutch. Finn should be interesting enough on his own. Poe and Rey (to me) are interesting enough on their own to drive separate stand alones, I just would want the same for Finn. Of course with SOLO bombing the way it did, it's arguable that none of the new ST characters could carry a movie by themselves if Han Solo couldn't carry one by himself.

Def Trooper, FJW and godisawesome like this.
  9. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I think the take was for a Disney + show like Mandalorian or Obi Wan. Not a film like Solo.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    A little bit of Finn in the recent leaks:

• Finn and Rose are a thing in the movie but throughout the film, Finn has something he wants to tell Rey but doesn’t get the chance to. Speculates it could be Finn wanting to know if he and Rey could be a thing with Jason hearing that info recently and a long time ago.

Not sure how I feel about it, sounds like something that could be easily misinterpreted.

godisawesome likes this.
  11. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Honestly, whose boyfriend he's gonna be is the last thing I give a crap about. I hope there's a good arc attached to all this relationship drama or otherwise it's pointless.

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    could explain evil Rey.:p

I hope Finn takes out most of the Knights of Ren, its one year later, I'm sure his skills have went up a notch.

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I’m really hoping that Abrams approach to relationships in TROS doesn’t actually try to play into any triangle relationships - those are often bad, and let’s face it, no one actually wants the film to start asking the film which relationship they’d rather see. You’re playing into the divide between TFA and TLJ, different philosophies of romance writing (since for Rey it would be a subplot while for Rose it would be her main plot), and let’s face it, the story is not built to make this flattering for anyone at this point.

If Finn is to be the male half of the ST’s main romance, just pick which way you’re going and embrace that. Go all in on Rose or all in on Rey.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Def Trooper likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Finn is a Plaayaaaa!

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Didn't DR say that TROS would be a different genre from both TFA and TLJ, a romance storyline would fit since neither TFA and TLJ solidified one. Though, I really don't like the idea of cheater Finn, nor our main female characters fighting over a man.

godisawesome likes this.
  16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, the biggest issues is that it wouldn’t fit the characters.

I also have to say that I don’t see the genre shift as being towards Romance. That just doesn’t feel like it would work as the last entry on the Skywalker Saga.

alwayslurking likes this.
  17. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    This could all be true and done with such a light touch that it never gets too serious. The leaks might be right, but the tone we are applying to them is wrong. I'd like to think that while cleaning up the odd bits and pieces of nine saga films, relationship beats for twenty-somethings will mercifully (humorously?) dot the background.

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    That's hope on Senator Organa levels....

19. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Or something like 'I know how you feel about me; but there's someone else, sorry', with the audience already knowing about Rey's someone else.

Han was similarly blind in ROTJ when it came to Leia and Luke ('I won't get in the way'), and he has already given a little piece of advice ('women always figure out the truth') to Finn - which sounds in itself misguided, since he seems to have assumed wrongly about Finn and his intentions towards Rey.

20. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    You and me both. Unless they're planning on doing something with his potential kids in the future, there's no reason for it at all. It would just be fanservicing a minority who really only see him as an obstacle for Reylo.
    It's basically the same thing as what Rayjefury is talking about. We can't seem to have Finn be a great individual character, everything has to be about his relationships. Whether it's pairing him off with Poe in a buddy role or pairing him off with Rose in a romance.

LoRd_inFamous and rayjefury like this.
  21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't see the point in being excited for "Rise of Skywalker", if Finn is going to be shoved to the side. Rey's character arc isn't exactly blowing my mind. And I honestly thought that Finn's arc had more potential, considering that he was a former stormtrooper. This is why I disliked "The Last Jedi" so much.

Or even Rey in a romantic pairing.

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Here's the link to the leak.

23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    "for example Poe reaches the end of his arc in The Last Jedi."

What arc though?

Def Trooper likes this.
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    If you’re looking for the best and most competently executed character arc in the ST so far, you’re only real choices are Finn (99% because of TFA) or Luke (limited to TLJ). And Luke’s arc was significantly more divisive, and ends with him dead, so....

Finn only had his potential barely tapped by TFA, but did have a story to showcase Boyega’s range, charisma, and ability to carry the bulk of the movie’s plot with his own dynamic story arc. As such, he remains the most exploitable character for the ST in terms of reaching an even higher ceiling for depth and complexity over both Rey and Kylo, partially because their TLJ plotlines were shallow and nonsensical, which is the only thing worse than the apathy Finn got.

The ST can’t really treat him as a decoy protagonist we need to move on from, because two films in, he’s still got a better story than Rey, the actual protagonist, and Kylo, the character other people mistakenly think should have his role. Raise their game, but don’t limit his.

The one conceived of probably as a reaction to being told to add more Poe to the story after TFA, and based off an arbitrary and broad characterization that contradicts his previous portrayal to tell a sloppily executed story that undermines itself at every turn.

You know, that arc.

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Did I watch a different cut of TFA and TLJ to you? A better story? Rose was even more fleshed out than Finn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.