main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm older than Finn is by a year!

2. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah...okay, that’s ridiculous.

I was never on the whole “Rose scolds and lectures Finn” train. I just don’t see it in TLJ (except for arguably the “saving what we love” scene) but that right there is just...ugh. Finn is not a child. He is not stupid. He is not socially inept. What the hell?

Honestly, I think it’s worse. At least in my opinion Rose was pretty charming and had an actual reason to be self-righteous. Her sister had literally just died within the span of the week and a person she admired triggered her grief.

In this scene, she is literally treating Finn as if he were a child. I do not like that. At all.

Any love I had for FinnRose is pretty much gone now if it’s going to be anything like this.

3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I’d like to agree because Rose had a few fleeting charming moments for me, but I just cannot get past the tazing.

4. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Movie ends with Rose pulling Finn by the ear and grounding him from going on adventures.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Then Finn wakes up and realizes it was all a dream that Bob Newhart had

godisawesome likes this.
  6. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    This is a huge problem with fandoms in general, including, if not especially, the Star Wars one. And this frankly isn't much different from how the Twilight fandom was treated by the media during the late 2000s-early 2010s, whereas more male-oriented franchises, like Transformers and Fast and Furious, never received the same level of ire and criticism. There's a lot of inherent sexism towards movies geared towards female audiences and Twilight was essentially the first time all that vitriol was exposed on such a massive scale so I'm not surprised about all the hate towards Reylo and the ST in general now that a female character is the lead. The articles below elaborate more on the Twilight hate and a lot of it is applicable to the ST.
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/twilight-isnt-the-worst-film-ever-made-youre-just-sexist
    https://www.bustle.com/p/the-internet-has-given-twilight-new-life-its-honestly-pretty-great-13047763
    https://www.themarysue.com/why-did-i-hate-twilight-so-much/

7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I really think the majority of ST criticisms don't stem from not wanting a female lead.

At least I hope.

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Like Chichi and Goku

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Is Fast and Furious aimed at male audiences? Literally the only people I know that love that franchise are women. It's almost like gender stereotypes in fictional preferences are trash.

And Transformers is treated as a total joke, holy crap [face_laugh]

Edit ~ I just googled it because I couldn't believe it. Fast & the Furious 7 had a gender breakdown OW at the box office of 51/49. Maybe the real sexism is in certain fans presuming to speak for an entire gender.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Oryx-I, dragonchic, afrojedi and 5 others like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Unfortunately I wouldn’t be surprised. That passage was mindbogglingly awful. And I want to like Rose, even though I don’t ‘ship her with Finn.

Seriously. Pretending that some movies are “for men” and some movies are “for women” is crap. Story genres are for people with tastes in those genres. Stereotyping (for example) romances as “for women” and action movies as “for men” just seeks to marginalize those who do not fit into those neat little bad stereotype boxes.

And Twilight featured a girl pining over a guy who left her, to the point that she didn’t leave her house—after that guy watched her sleep, and before he returned and took a part out of her car so that she could not visit a friend, under the guise of “protection.” (I would make him eat the car part and then replace it with a new one by myself, but I digress.). That’s why it was degraded.

I have not seen Fast and Furious or Transformers, but Transformers was degraded (and rightfully) as a two-hour-long visual of **** blowing up.

afrojedi, Neesh and AhsokaSolo like this.
  11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I haven't seen a F&F movie either, but my sister and one of her friends love the franchise. It's a total guilty pleasure for them. It's full of sexy men in attractive cars. I had an old friend in law school that I haven't spoken to in a few years, but early in the franchise he crapped on it relentlessly for being so bad on car knowledge. He refused to watch them after the first one or two. My husband is a car buff too and has zero interest. I always figured it was targeted at anyone who's guilty pleasure is attractive law benders in fast, good looking cars. That doesn't seem gender specific to me.

12. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Jedi Knight

Mar 20, 2013
    Despite the 0.1% chance that this will happen a Final Saber duel between Dark and Rey against Force Sensitive Finn would be absolutely incredible - talk about an emotionally charged battle and tragic - it would mirror the Saber duel between Obiwan and Anakin, as fasinating as it was - on another level it was incredibly sad to see best friends battle each other - the dialouge between Dark Rey and Finn would be beyond words. The most likely outcome however as the leaks depict - would be Rey having to Kill her Grandfather which is extremely sad within itself. Why does December 20th seem soooo far away. Sigh.

13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Star Wars:
    [​IMG]
    MPAA ComScore sources and others including Furious 7: based on 2 weeks data (56% male/44% female)

14. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Almost like a verbal spasm, or impulse I audibly said "Shut up, Rose" when reading that. Just ugh.

15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The secret ingredient to Rose’s charm at times in TLJ: Loan Tran.

She does a hell of a lot to try and elevate most of her material, and added in an “attitude” for the character, as good actors will do with a supporting role, and even I, as a critic of TLJ, found her charisma and chemistry with Boyega slipping through the (many, many) cracks in the writing.

But the character’s main problem was that she was largely written just to be a supporting character for Finn’s story alone, rather than as a general supporting character for the overall ST. That lead to RJ giving her dialogue and actions that seem less individually engaging and more focused on getting Finn to do what the story wants him to.

It appears that might have been picked up as her defining trait by some authors or speculators, unfortunately.

16. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I agree that Rose does fall into many female love interest tropes, i.e feeling like a replacement to another more interesting character that people would prefer or feeling like the supporting character to the male hero's story. I feel like I should hate Rose but I will admit that she is full of a lot of personality and played by a good actress. Had her character been miscast...I still would not participate in the hate but I probably wouldn't like her all that much either.

The sad (and ironic) thing is that Rose and Finn could have worked if it wasn't for the force kissed in TLJ. A slow build probably would have been better for both characters because it would have given her a chance to define herself without the forced romance. Shoehorning characters in a romance (especially female characters) almost always backfires.

17. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
  18. Neesh

Neesh Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 2, 2019
    Green Room was really great. Looking forward to this.

19. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Barely a month away from the premier of the conclusion of the Skywalker saga and the marketing for this movie is almost non-exist. I wonder why? Maybe the leaks were right and Finn doesn't get any major moments and they know people are going to be disappointed.

21. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    They can't be this obtuse. He'll get moments, but the jury is out on whether or not they'll measure up. I mean you and I both know across the internet how many people argued (in sincerity) that he had great moments in TLJ. The bar is so low it would be difficult come in underneath it in TRoS. We can take force usage off the table, we can take ST rebellion off the table, there's still an outside chance he could be some better than average shooter (think Roland the Gunslinger in The Dark Tower).

I think they have deliberately left out the Sith Troopers and the KoR from all the teasers and trailers for a reason. It's hard for me to believe that they are all and only for Rey to dispatch.

Troopa212 and Def Trooper like this.
  22. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    The most concerning part for me is that as bad as TLJ was for Finn, they at least had an amazing-looking Phasma fight for the trailers (that ended up not being so great, but eh), and of course TFA teased with him wielding the Skywalker saber against Kylo Ren.

TROS? Nothing of the sort. He's a part of several ensemble action scenes, and that's it according to what's been released so far. But hopefully that just means they're not spoiling something cooler than anything he did in TFA/TLJ.

23. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I've haven't read spoilers so that is what I'm wondering. Is the lack of hype (in comparison to TFA and to a lesser extent TLJ) because there's something good in store for Finn, or is it because he's just doing the same ole thing.

24. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    I am somewhat encouraged by Boyega giving voice to the notion that Finn "needed something to keep up with these guys" (Rey and Kylo) during a panel. There was at least one voice in the room lobbying for a more relevant and impactful Finn. I doubt very seriously execs are reading anything off of the web, but I suspect that they have had at least a few mid level people take a pulse check in the more popular forums (in the Aftermath of SOLO) to gather some intel. I don't think they'd necessarily write their scripts around it persay, just that they would be mindful of some of the larger and more consistent complaints. I think Finn's lack of utilization, actualization, competence, and relevance is one of several complaints that will be addressed (in a way that will avoid hinting that TLJ's handling was a problem).

I don't know if we're going to see Finn strike out on his own for any of this trilogy; hell people in this thread who actually like Finn often seem comfortable saddling him with Poe. I think Finn is (or should be) strong enough that he goes out on his own and accomplishes something on his own. But maybe how they split the difference is that they make him relevant, but always within a group setting. They make him skilled, but only in a group setting. That will be disappointing, but, I mean after TLJ, is there anywhere to go but up?

25. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.