main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    ....ok, just wanted to be clear on that.

afrojedi likes this.
  2. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/tv...ey-John-Boyega-Star-Wars-Force-4-Fashion.html

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/72/08/21/...6c3fb375ef5--star-wars-cast-star-wars-vii.jpg

Don't know where you see a lack of chemistry on and off camera they have it

3. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Honest question - was that hug scene in the movie? I've seen it online, but I don't remember it in TLJ (only saw it once). The only interaction I remember them having is when Rey is watching Finn blanket Rose and she smiles at him. Was the hug deleted, or is it really in there and I was distracted thinking of something else while it played?

4. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    Mandela effect

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Romantic chemistry and friend chemistry are two very distinct things. I don't feel a romantic vibe between the two, regardless of them being friends. Daisy has just as fantastic of chemistry with Domnhall Gleeson.

I don't see why it's a bad thing to not want characters to focus on romance when they've barely learned what the force is, or what side of the war they're fighting on.

6. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Because people's body are still functioning, no matter what complicated situation they may be in. I don't find it to be far fetched for two people in their situation to decide they wanna make out.

afrojedi and Jazz9276 like this.
  7. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    They have chemistry on screen to be romantic and as friends as well. They had and still have potential to be romantic moving forward..Remember romance isn't just about sexual tension and wild emotional attachments i think it's a matter of perspective in what one views as romance..I believe if finn was played by a white character his scenes that you say they are friends or like siblings would be considered possible romance. I mean people want to even reach with Poe and Rey becoming romantic now because they smiled at one another..But if that were finn they are just friends..I think it's a lot of Bias point of views when it comes to finn.

Then you say Domnhall Gleeson. They don't have the same kind of chemistry that Daisy and John have. Daisy and john were on the kids choice awards running for best chemistry award 2016.

8. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    They have chemistry on screen to be romantic and as friends as well. They had and still have potential to be romantic moving forward..Remember romance isn't just about sexual tension and wild emotional attachments i think it's a matter of perspective in what one views as romance..I believe if finn was played by a white character his scenes that you say they are friends or like siblings would be considered possible romance. I mean people want to even reach with Poe and Rey becoming romantic now because they smiled at one another..But if that were finn they are just friends..I think it's a lot of Bias point of views when it comes to finn.

Then you say Domnhall Gleeson. They don't have the same kind of chemistry that Daisy and John have. Daisy and john were on the kids choice awards running for best chemistry award 2016

I mean look at at what she says about their chemistry here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't see why there even needs to be a romantic relationship in the next movie. What does that solve or push?

Technically speaking, the ST has taken place over 1-2 weeks. Everyone knows each other just about as much as anyone else in the movie, which is to say, not much at all really. Finn has now spent 2 days more with Rose than he ever did with Rey. Rey has had maybe 1 day less the interactions with Poe, as she has had with Finn. Poe almost seems more excited to see BB8 than anyone else in the movie lol. And Kylo loves making people feel uncomfortable, no matter who he's around. Certainly two characters spending the greatest amount of time together doesn't automatically equal who is going to love one another, but let's be real...everyone has known each other about a week now. And why does every guy Rey meets have to be potential relationship material? Why do people want Rey to be in a relationship with every other character? I dunno.

I think we can expect the next movie to take place at least a couple of years down the road, so really, anything is possible with any of these characters. Imagine for a moment that based on the first week of college in freshman year, you immediately assumed who is dating who, or who was in love with who, 4 years later in your senior class. Would you be correct? Probably not. A lot can change. A lot can happen.

But regardless, I just don't really see the purpose of any of these characters to fall in love with one another. Is it possible? Sure, I suppose anything is possible. I just doubt it. I don't think that romance is the story being told her.

Yora and nagajuna like this.
  10. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    I get the impression that for many people here, all issues around Finn's character would be solved if Finn end romantically involved with Rey and that's all. It's truly surprising how he is sometimes treated by the fans like some secondary character whose only role is to be a love interest for Rey or even Poe.

Anyway, I liked Finn in TLJ but they could have done so much more. The story felt lazy and "unnecessary". They could have find another way to challenge Finn by maybe exploring his past since it was an important thematic in the movie. It baffles me how they completely ignored that he was once a stormtrooper. Why did they make him one in the first place then? They could have made him an ex-technician who, time to time, fixed some stuff for the First Order, or I don't know an engineer. It would have been exactly the same and even more believable since they keep insisting that Finn was a simple janitor while for an unknown reason he knew everything about the FO's "secret weapons".

Finn's true problem, is my opinion, is Poe. They should have left Poe dead in TFA. A lot of Finn's character was probably cut off and given to Poe. I will not be surprised if in the end, it's revealed that Finn was the one supposed to be the leader of the Resistance but now the role goes to Poe. Even Rian Johnson said so: we can't even pair the two characters together because there is no conflict. They are too similar. Both are two Resistance heroes with almost no backstory and a great sense of humor. The only difference is that Poe is way older and has excellent pilot skills. That's all.

In TLJ, you clearly see how the choice of keeping Poe impacted Finn's character.
    Poe became more important than Finn, while he was only a minor character in TFA.

That's also why the "trio" Rey/Poe/Finn that they tried to sell us, never worked. It was supposed to be a duo between Finn and Rey but they threw Poe in it. While Poe and Finn are best buddies and Rey and Finn share this great bond, Poe and Rey have no connection. They are this awkward group of friends, in real life, where most of the persons in the group stick together, only because they are all friends with the same guy. Even Obi-Wan and Padmé in the PT interacted way more than Poe and Rey.

In conclusion, I hope that Poe die in a heroic way in EP IX to let Finn finally become the leader of the Resistance.

Troopa212 and JediAce1 like this.
  11. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    This happened because Oscar Isaac is a better actor with a better and more believable character. His performance kept the character alive and is why the writers are more excited about writing for him now than Finn. He's immeasurably more popular, too.

Finn was a bad idea from the start and now they're stuck with him. Nothing about the performance sells the backstory. The Stormtrooper thing should never have happened because it was never believable. The personality doesn't fit at all. They had to make the character a janitor just to get past how bad the idea was. TFA could have been immensely better had Rey befriended the X-wing pilot instead. TFA had the concept screw-up, not TLJ. TLJ went some way towards fixing the problem by creating Rose to grow the character with some important lessons, but the character should never have existed in the first place.

Another flaw with Finn was that he got completely Harrison Ford-ed. What I mean by that is that he had the misfortune to be a comedic sidekick youngster next to *that*. It's a problem in numerous Ford films. You can see what happened to all the young starlets auditioning for Luke and Leia back in the day that had to do their auditions with him--half of the competition was eliminated by either not knowing the lines or being scared to death of intimidating, acerbic Harrison. Carrie and Mark got the parts because they were prepared, believed in the then-seemingly rubbish sci-fi dialog and didn't wilt. They held their own with the intimidating auditioner from hell and were better for it. You knew they could handle the parts and had the strength of personality to become the icons they became.

Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac, besides being older, more experienced actors, both have the dramatic intensity needed for classic dramatic leading man roles and could share the screen comfortably with the likes of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. John Boyega does not. Daisy Ridley shares a particular earnestness with Mark Hamill that made him work against jaded Harrison way back in those 1975 audition tapes. Interestingly, one of the biggest changes to the script was making Han and Rey's relationship more fatherly and nicer. He was originally much more acerbic to her. Unfortunately, the acerbic material ended up falling on Finn and he's never really recovered past being Han's janitor/"That's not how the Force works." reaction/punchline. Having him defeat Phasma in TLJ gave both thin characters a much-needed purpose for existing.

Poe is Leia's successor. He has a purpose for existing. Oscar's performance is what keeps the character getting all the love from writers and comics. Carrie even said she saw the same qualities in Oscar that she saw back in the day with Harrison and Han. Carrie grew up around movie stars and is known for having picked out Harrison as a superstar-to-be back when he was an out-of-work carpenter who had nearly given up on acting. She knew he had that certain extra something that she knew both she and Mark did not actually have and said as much. This is a woman whose family included Debbie Reynolds, Eddie Fisher and Elizabeth Taylor. She knew movie stars when she saw them. Oscar getting that sort of praise from Carrie as Han's spiritual successor is high praise indeed.

Rey's story was always going to be with Kylo first and foremost. Her most important relationships outside of him have actually been with Han and Luke. Finn is a footnote now. It's not an OT Big Three setup like everyone expected at all. It's not a band of heroes kind of story. Her story doesn't revolve around joining the Resistance and never did. Her story is all wrapped up in her Jedi awakening, latching onto parent figures she wishes she had (which is why her relationships with parent surrogates are more important than ones with friends), shades of gray (even within herself) and redemption.

Aetius888 and Doom_Buggy like this.
  12. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Sorry, can't take any post that suggests that Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley and even Oscar Isaac are better actors than John Boyega seriously. Also, it's laughable that the character Finn is seemingly being blamed for the writers' faults.

13. wilyen

wilyen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    It all falls on the writing and the creativity of the writer. You can OBVIOUSLY tell where his focus lied. So we end up with no set up for finn. All jj can do with is do a time skip, and skip his character development.

14. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    The problem isn't really writing. It's chemistry. Within five minutes of screen time, you see FInn and Rey share a hug so platonic that the WGA is considering awarding Plato a writing credit. And that's good. That's what the characters are. A few minutes later, Poe comes over and says hi, and intentional or not, Rey looks like the quarterback just walked across the cafeteria to talk to her. There are a good number of Reylos that deny this, but I'm not one of them.

Honestly, if I were JB, I'm not sure that I would want to follow the chemistry onscreen between Rey and Kylo in TLJ. It's electric. It's going to be hard to match.

Doom_Buggy and NileQT87 like this.
  15. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Looking back at TFA, I can only feel that Finn fans (and black SW fans) were robbed. Would have never thought it was possible to fall all the way down to C-plot, but when you have a director that plays the banjo and jokes about leaving your character in a coma, then I guess it was liable to happen.

The good news is that all of the characters seem to have ended up where they need to be, for the most part, but the execution was a mess.

Finn, though only briefly, had the chance to demonstrate some level of skill fighting against Phasma, he also picked up on piloting fairly quickly, and overcame his fear of the First Order in the end. His once again uncertain future opens up the possibility of him becoming a Jedi in the epilogue, and the revelation in TLJ that the 'awakening' wasn't just Rey, and that any random can be strong in the Force authenticate this.

16. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    This is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed with the awful writing for Finn, it makes people come to these conclusions which is false.

I can tell the only things you've seen John in are the Star wars movies. I'd advise you to watch Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit and Imperial Dreams, which won a Sundance audience award a couple years back. John is an INCREDIBLE young actor who has proven his talent and versatility in other films. He also got rave reviews for starring in a recent stage production of Woyzeck. The scripts for the SW movies give him nothing to work with. All they allow him to do is be a comedic relief.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  17. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It absolutely is the writing. The script does Finn no favors by being made to look like a clown with all the physical comedy they make him do. When we're introduced to him in TLJ, they immediately make a joke out of him by making him bump his head and fall off the table. He gets tasered and falls on his ass twice in this movie. They go out of their way to make him look like a fool.

Compare how goofy Finn is to the stoic and heroic characters John plays in Attack the Block and Pacific Rim. Lucasfilm failed Finn from the very start.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Romantic chemistry and friendship chemistry are not different at all, unless the viewer is only interested in Harlequin-type love-at-first-sight bodice-ripping fireworks-popping romances. Good romances develop from friendships. I view Finn and Rey’s setup as friends to be a very good thing, not a deterrent to romance.

I do think Finn got sidelined, and it’s definitely not due to Boyega’s skill, it’s because Johnson was less interested in his character. Hopefully Abrams is more interested in including Finn.

19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    You know what I'm thinking?
    Why not reintroduce the Crimson Corsair have Finn get involved with him as part of the Resistance recruiting all the help they can get.
    We're told Finn is killed in the middle of a fight and whilst naturally shaken and quite possibly angry at an off screen death the event makes the Crimson Corsair dedicated to bringing down the First Order leading his people to free the kids the First Order are brainwashing and although an alien he manages to persuade them to follow him becoming a legend as he helps build the force that eventually topples the First Order.
    Now most of this is kept to one side as the movie focuses on Rey, Poe and the Resistance confronting Kylo.
    Kylo eventually flees as his forces are turning on him as a result of the defections.
    We have the Corsair meet our heroes explaining how Finn inspired them to accomplish the mission he gave his life for and although grief stricken at the loss of their friend all but Poe turn away to deal with their own problems.
    Poe witnesses the Corsair approach BB-8 and crouching extends one hand with its thumb raised which BB-8 after a moment copies.
    The Corsair heads off as Poe approaches BB-8 asking what was that about.
    In droid speech BB-8 reveals as we're shown what actually happened.
    The Corsair is mortally wounded, Finn tries to help him but the Corsair asks him to remove his helmet which reveals the Corsair is actually an elderly clone trooper (as noted in one of the TFA tie in novels) who reveals he donned the armour upon the death of the previous Corsair and asks Finn to do the same explaining they both have unfinished business with the First Order.
    The former medic because of the betrayal the Emperor committed using his brothers to murder the Jedi and Finn because he wants to help free the others brainwashed by the Empire's successor the First Order.
    Before the clone trooper dies Finn agrees donning the Corsair's armour as others have done before him and commenced the battle he will eventually win as when confronting the First Order forces he will reveal his true identity and through his actions gain their aid as he is one of them something neither Kylo, Hux nor any of the Imperial Remaint can do anything against.

Poe reels from this discovery only barely able to raise a salute as the Corsair takes one look back before leaving on his ship.

So do you think this is a suitable way to resolve Finn's journey in episode 9?

20. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

You are wasting your time. The person you're responding to watched boyega "comfortably" share the screen with ford. They also watched daisey (with arguably the same level of experience) do the same with all three OT actors. Their logic is not sound.

afrojedi and JediAce1 like this.
  21. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    IMO the issues w/ Finn are due to a few factors. First, there was an expectation from some fans that he would be something he was never intended to be. Additionally, there's a serious disconnect between his background and character and finally, Poe's character takes away from some of his purpose.

Finn wasn't intended to be a typical leading man or main protagonist. That's Rey's role. Finn is the secondary, boyish male "good guy." He's a hero, but not the main hero/jedi. He's an ordinary person who takes up a cause, a little like Han, but with a different background & personality. He's Rey's friend/surrogate family, not her LI. The chemistry between the characters and actors was very platonic & easygoing. I think the idea was to subvert the tired expectation that a male and female who meet and get along will become a couple. In contrast, the chemistry between Rey and Kylo is much more charged w/an undercurrent of attraction, yet it comes from an unexpected place because they're adversaries.

Another issue with Finn is the total disconnect between his personality and backstory. He's nothing like a former Stormtrooper. He's innocent, earnest, funny and humorously out of his element. I think Boyega is a good actor and he used a lot of comedy in the role, esp in TFA, which I think JJ Abrams encouraged. The humor fit the character as played by Boyega, but not his canon background.

I also felt like Finn seemed really out of place in the duel w/Kylo and Rey in TFA because he's such a different character than them. He didn't look like he belonged in that plot.

Another huge issue for Finn is Poe. Poe is also an ordinary person, but he's more experienced and established in his role. He's the character that narratively, Finn's character aspires to be, but he's already there. He's also very charismatic and dashing. If Poe had been much older than Finn rather than a slightly older peer, it would have helped Finn. As it is, Poe has gotten a more central role and I think it it's going to stick. He's Leia's heir and future the Resistance leader. He's also played by a very "leading man" actor.

I don't know what they're going to do w/Finn. He doesn't belong in the Force plot as that's Rey and Kylo or as leader of the Resistance because that's Poe. I think his best bet is leading a Stormtrooper uprising -- even though he's never been shown to care about the other stormtroopers before. I guess that could change in 9 & it's the most interesting plan for him now that he's fully committed to the Resistance.

NileQT87 and Yora like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    His background in the Before the Awakening book showed him caring a great deal for several of the stormtroopers; it was his best friend whose blood ended up on his helmet on Jakku. And I felt like some of this was portrayed in the movie, at least I got the gist of it before ever reading the book.

I agree that a stormtrooper uprising would be perfect for Finn. Where I don’t agree is with the idea that the prominent male character must be “charismatic and dashing” or that a romance must be “charged”. There is a place for a boyish “good guy” to be a lead character; I felt like we got that with Luke in the OT, although he was whiny and earnest instead of being funny (I am thrilled that Finn isn’t whiny, since I found that trait really annoying in Luke). I like Poe and I think he is next in line to lead the Resistance, but that does not mean that there cannot be a prominent and unique role for Finn.

cut-of-space and Yora like this.
  23. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I never said that a prominent male character has to be "charismatic and dashing." I just pointed out that Poe is charismatic and dashing and it makes him stand out. He takes some of the spotlight away from Finn, imo. I also never said there's no place for boyish good guys as leads, but in this story, boyish Finn is not the main lead. Doesn't mean he's not a lead or can't be unique. It just means many won't be as compelled with his character as they may be w/others.

Of course there's no rule that all romances must be "charged" but sometimes they are and in this story there's an example of a charged attraction between the main hero and villian.

Things don't have to be a certain way, sometimes they just are.

NileQT87 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, sometimes they just are, but that’s a choice of the writers, which is what some of us are criticizing here.

Finn is the character who stood out most to me in TFA, even in his interactions with Poe.

Hopeless likes this.
  25. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    They'll look back and regret how much they wasted John's acting ability on cheap slapstick. It's honestly a damn shame tbh.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    11-4D, afrojedi, cut-of-space and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.