main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Finn needs his own ship

Rey - Millennium Falcon
    Poe - T-70 X-Wing
    Finn - ???

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    When I saw the new Last Jedi schematic design shirts with:

Rey Millennium Falcon
    Poe Black One X-Wing
    Kylo Tie Silencer

I felt bad because Finn didn't have one.

rayjefury likes this.
  4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Giving him a new toy isn't going to do him any favors, ensuring the final movie does his character and actor justice will.

Yora and jaqen like this.
  5. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The Millennium Falcon is Chewie's ship ! TLJ showed it pretty clearly : he is in the driving seat, not Rey. (plus, it's not like she needs it anyway).

So, i really wish Finn becomes a permanent crewmember on that ship. Finn & Chewie is a much better pair than Rey & Chewie. Our poor wookie has no one to talk in his stead when Rey.goes wandering on her own.

@Adept : i disagree. Associating Finn with some emblematic piece of equipment is a first step to fix this character's popularity and relevance. Finn badly needs to see his "cool factor" increased. Sure, it's not nearly enough, but it's a good place to start.

rayjefury and afrojedi like this.
  6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Hell, even Maz is known for having jet pack now.

See Star Tours

7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I have to disagree with this notion. I've seen characters get 'cool' new gear or powers and it doesn't really do anything for the character. The goal should be to focus on the character and his growth, and how it impacts his actions in the final film. What has he learned across two films and how does that play into the final confrontation with the First Order.

I've speculated in other threads about the kinds of things I want to see Finn do in the last movie.

1. I'd love an opening where our heroes are executing a plan of his design, that work's spectacularly well. Show that he's refined his tactile planning and ability to deal with unforeseen obstacles.

2. Show Finn 'Turning Defense into Offense' on a larger scale. Whether it be in a melee fight, squad battle or fighter engagement, show Finn employing defensive tactics and skills to outmaneuver, outwit and defeat the First Order.

3. Have Finn be the one showing the most care and concern for the common people caught in the middle of this War. Show Finn to be the one least tolerant of oppression and slavery or compromising with those who employ such tactics.

In short, grow his character, and show how the influences the final conflict and leads to victory over the First Order. You can hand him whatever tools he needs to do the job, but in the end it's Finn's actions and growth paying off in the final film that will establish him as a legend like Star Wars heroes who've gone before.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wish I could like that post more than once.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Exactly. What piece of equipment, exactly, was Leia associated with in the OT? Or Padme or Obi-Wan in the PT? Finn doesn't need a piece of gear to be memorable. He needs to be well-written. And this coming from someone who has had basically no problems with Finn in either TFA or TLJ.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yeah. Finn needs more gear so he can actually be in the marketing this time.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    But again, when has that ever mattered? Sure, some characters (i.e. Poe) are marketed because of their gear (his X-wing), but not all of them. Chewbacca doesn't need anything unique for marketing. He has his bowcaster, yeah, but it's not included on all of his marketing necessarily. Finn doesn't need equipment to be marketed, he needs to be marketed. They marketed Rey without the saber for TFA. They can do the same with Finn.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Before Rey even got the saber, she had her staff and speeder. Which they used to help the push of Rey in TFA marketing and advertising.

In a franchise of lightsabers, tie fighters, x-wings, droids, Millennium Falcon, walkers and such, where characters are competing for face time, Finn needs to own something to make him stand out.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I get your point, but I can't say I agree 100%. Finn could be marketed as he is. When Han's not marketed with the Falcon, I wouldn't call his outfit and blaster super interesting. He's still marketed that way.

14. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I know what you're saying. But since Han's time in the original trilogy, we've gotten a plethora of Star Wars characters.

In the meta sense, these newer characters are not just fighting for face time, but to be memorable as well.

Marketing is key.
    It's no coincidence the only clip they repeated of Finn for TLJ, was him fighting Phasma with the riot baton.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Again, I get your point. I just think that it's less of an issue than you're making it. Didn't some recent study show that Finn was, like, the most recognizable of the ST characters? At the very least he's got to be around the same level as Rey. I think the idea that a character has to have some gadget to make them memorable is a marketing lie, TBH.

Do I think Finn could use an upgrade, gear-wise, in IX? Sure. But I don't think his character will be lost to the sands of time if he doesn't. People know who he is, and two movies in, cool gear isn't going to change their opinion of him; only the writing will do that. Now, since Finn has looked basically the same in both TFA and TLJ, I would be okay with him getting some dramatically different clothes for IX, just to change up his look. And I would almost guarantee he will have some sort of melee weapon in IX, whether it be a riot baton again or something new. And they probably should market him with it. But that is not wholly up to the filmmakers or even LFL; it's on companies like Hasbro, Funko, Lego, etc. to do that, too.

TheLastHaterOfZero and cerealbox like this.
  16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I agree with this. 'K' from Bladerunner 2049 is not memorable because he had a Spinner or a police issue blaster. Ripley is not memorable because of a flame thrower or power loader. Riddick is not memorable because of his glasses. Mad max is not memorable because of his interceptor (The Black on Black) especially since he dosen't use it for most of the first film, or the second film and it's more or less gone in the third and fourth one. Gadgets can say something about a character, but they are NOT a replacement for good writing and character growth.

17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Everyone you listed is already the main character in their film. They are also the only characters to return for their sequels more or less.

Not to mention, my entire argument had to do with Star Wars characters and their universe.

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Actually, Kyle Reese, and K only show up in ONE film in their respective franchises. Ripley is not even clearly the hero in the first movie until the end, and the Marines become more of a focus in the second. Riddick's status was unclear throughout most of his first film and it was in fact 'Johns' who you thought would be the hero until about the films midpoint. Mad Max is NOT the only hero in his series, especially in 'Fury Road' where he really just helps Furiosa in her mission.

As for Larger franchises. Captain Benjamin Sisko isn't memorable because of the Defiant or a phaser, he's memorable for the things he did which set him apart from other Captains in the Star Trek universe.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    cerealbox likes this.
  19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I suppose the one good thing of Finn having nothing in TLJ, is that he didn't excruciatingly lose anything like the other characters.

Like Thor's hammer being destroyed in Ragnarok, we saw Poe's last x-wing get blown to smithereens. And Rey's lightsaber get split in half. And Leia lost her entire fleet.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
  21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Who is Heather Antos and why should I care?

Not trying to mean, seriously, is she like a comic writer or artist?

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    She's someone official at Marvel; can't remember her title, but yes, she knows what's up.

23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Do any of you all have some hopes/theories as to what Finn's story will be in Ep. 9 that don't involve leading a stormtrooper rebellion?

I like the character but it's heard to imagine what they'll do with him going forward.

rayjefury likes this.
  24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Whether it's stormtrooper rebellion are or not, it will involve Finn taking the right to the FO head on.

Not trying to escape the FO (TFA) and not tying to just survive the FO attacking them (TLJ).

But full head on bringing the fight to them.

Some people brought up stopping the forcible recruitment of kids to the First Order. Aside from Finn, this is also a backstory for Hux and Rose. It links all three together. So that may be a plot point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    This would be awesome. Imagine seeing Finn swoop in leading a squad of Resistance troops, take out a bunch of stormtroopers/FO officers, and rescue some children. Sort of like Jyn did with the little girl in Jedha but on a larger scale. Man, that would be so cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.