main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    It’s dismissible because unlike menial labor, she is ill equipped and untrained for it. It’s literally dangerous for her to have that post by herself.

afrojedi and Troopa212 like this.
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    As someone who was a Navy mechanic on a ship, let me tell you: "NO SHE ISN'T" and "NO IT IS NOT!"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    RiddleMeThis likes this.
  3. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    You can use all caps to condescend me as much as you want. You’re not using reason, you’re just lecturing, speaking at us. I don’t buy it. One small framed non-combatant with a taser? A couple of soldiers with ptsd could overtake her quite easily, and hurt her in the process.

4. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I starting to think a lot of you guys' issues with Finn and Rose is because you're civilians who can't put their mindset with military personnel for purposes of the story.

This is not on you personally @AhsokaSolo
    But I'm beginning to see a trend.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  5. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I think a lot of you guys that love the way Finn and Rose are portrayed aren’t capable of making their portrayal make sense with logic, so you talk about irrelevant personal stuff. This isn’t about you personally, except that I’m responding directly to you and what you said.

6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Sorry you feel that way. But a lot of the dismissal of the Poe/Holdo chain of command of information, Rose, and Finn military stuff, that you call out on, like Rose standing guard, is the most realistic stuff.

Yet you're very critical of it

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  7. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yet you still haven’t responded to the argument itself. You state that it’s wrong, but you don’t state why. Your navy service isn’t a substantive response. It’s just “it’s right because I say so.” Well I think for myself. To me, it makes the Resistance look incompetent.

Finn isn’t in the resistance, so every time you talk about military procedure as though he’s part of their army, which you routinely do, you instantly lose credibility with me.

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    NAh. It makes the Resistance a parallel for a real world military operation that uses all of their resources while on the move.(underway)

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I have never read an account of the US military treating a military asset like an enlisted soldier. If that’s normal, I’ve never heard of it.

Beyond which, somehow I’ve managed to watch every other SW movie having not served in the military, and I’ve followed the military plots just fine, I’ve understood the logic and believed it. Being in the military, having military rules, doesn’t suddenly make a stupid decision a smart one. Putting Rose on guard dog duty in those circumstances seems very stupid to me, and you haven’t made a single substantive argument as to why it would be a smart decision.

afrojedi likes this.
  10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    And I'm still trying to see your argument that Rose is incapable of that duty.

Especially when she stopped Finn and noted that she stopped two other personel that say.

Oh well. I guess my opinion of Rose is different than yours.

But I'll stop the conversation since this is the Finn thread.

11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I didn’t say she’s incapable. Strawmanning is not the same thing as responding to arguments with substance.

afrojedi likes this.
  12. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    This isn't a secondary task like performing CQ duty peacetime. This is guarding (during a war) an escape hatch alone--with an electric stick. We aren't talking about a US Navy ship with an extremely low chance of being directly affected in combat. That said, perhaps some of those NCOs could benefit from a force protection class.

Troopa212 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  13. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'd hate to be that guy, but how much realism are we going to get in movies about space magic and destiny?

Personally, I know nothing regarding the logistics of certain military vocations, but I thought it was perfectly reasonable for Rose to be put in the position that she was in. The Resistance just lost an immeasurable amount of soldiers, their general is in a coma, and the Resistance is completely spread thin. It made perfect sense to me.

That being said, this is the Finn thread so I'm going to change the subject a bit. I mentioned this in a previous post, but I’ve noticed that while people always talk about the dynamic between Finn and Rose, they rarely talk about the dynamic between DJ and Finn. I find it interesting that Finn found a “reflection” of himself. It could have been done better, but I think DJ’s betrayal is what ultimately sets Finn over the edge.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That's really stupid logic on their part. Assign one TINY mechanic to stop combat veterans, some of whom are probably suffering from PTSD, or desperate in-general? And only give her a taser to use? Well that's a brilliant plan if they want her to die, but otherwise, not so much.

Also that explanation should have been IN THE MOVIE ITSELF!!

AhsokaSolo and afrojedi like this.
  15. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    It wouldn't happen. This is Rian creating the conditions he needs to advance his plot pure and simple. I'd definitely counsel and retrain any NCO or officer who would do such a stupid thing.

Troopa212 likes this.
  16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Also as for the "real world military logic," well that's the problem, SW has never really operated on real world military logic. So both the Finn/Rose and Poe/Holdo stuff is a case of suddenly trying to apply a standard that's never been there before, to fit a square peg into a round hole all of a sudden. And it didn't work in either case imo.

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I wonder if it's possible that Finn originally encountered Rose by trying to steal a ship she was working on?

18. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Well again, the movie creates yet another inconsistency with that. It's not sure if we should care about consequences or not.

When Poe disobeys Leia, gets people killed and is demoted, we're supposed to be thinking about consequences. When he commits mutiny and is apprehended, we're supposed to think about consequences.
    -But then two seconds later Leia is giving him a nice little sit-down, and then he's put in charge of leading yet another useless assault on the First Order.

When Finn is about to steal a pod and is tased, we're supposed to be thinking about consequences (which still feels so extremely petty). When the mission fails, DJ betrays them and the large number of the Resistance is killed because of them, we're thinking about consequences.
    -But then two seconds later he says "Chrome dome" and he's giving everyone at the Resistance a rousing speech (and everyone listens to him).

When Rey secretly communicates with Ben/Kylo, and then has her falling out with Luke on behalf of him, we're thinking about consequences. When she's subdued by Snoke and put at Ben/Kylo's mercy, we're thinking about consequences. When it's revealed that Ben used her to take the throne for himself and calls her 'nothing,' we're thinking about consequences.
    -But then two seconds later she's happy-joy in the Falcon and easily lifts a mountain, Luke's totally fine with her leading the next generation of Jedi (even though their last interaction was her angrily standing over him because he slipped on a wet rock), the end.

The movie's not sure just how much actions even matter in the film. And honestly this whole thing probably belonged in the criticism thread, sorry.

19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Also Leia essentially defers to Poe's leadership at the end overall. And Finn and Rose can just steal a shuttle (again them being able to just fly away undercuts the whole chase plot anyway, but I digress) and suffer no consequences for it either.

The movie cannot make up it's mind about much of anything.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I overlook it because I frankly don't think there's a much of a dynamic there in the first place. As much as I think RJ is missing the mark in hitting Finn and Rose as a new focal point of our ensemble of heroes, he *is* giving them a combination of quiet moments and dialogue exchanges that manages to make them feel a bit more characterized, and every once in a while he gets out of his own way and lets their chemistry shine through... before undercutting it by ignoring Finn's likely reaction towards child slaves or wasting KMT's talents by having her deliver a good line and save Finn... by dooming the rest of the Resistance.

In contrast, even while I've got major issues with the writing for Rose, DJ comes off as a light-weight character whose only redeeming quality is Benecio del Toro showing he can create more character with a voice than Rian Johnson did with hours of screenwriting. It even feels a bit out-of-nowhere to call him a "reflection" of Finn, since DJ seems so flat and underdeveloped. I mean, is the idea supposed to be that he reflects Finn's selfishness towards wanting to protect Rey? Because frankly, not only do I consider the decision to make that Finn's flaw a dubious one that regresses the character, but it also comes off an almost non-issue after he meets Rose; quite frankly, RJ's script moved Finn past that conundrum so fast that I can't see any reflection there with DJ.

When you say "it could have been done better," I say "it wasn't even a completely finished work int he first place." And you don't get a grade for an incomplete, you get a zero.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    afrojedi likes this.
  21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah DJ is basically a glorified plot-device, nothing more. He's Lando from ESB without the effort put in, or interesting character bits, or confliction about what he's doing. And his "parallels" towards Finn feel really forced, and don't amount to much of anything in the end.

And yeah by the time that DJ appears, Finn's so-called "flaw" isn't even really a thing anymore. Because, much like Kylo getting over his Vader obsession, Rian rushes past those things so ridiculously fast in the narrative that they end up mattering little in the end.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  22. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    On top of that Finn, was never depicted as greedy or out for himself. I can't imagine DJ going back for Poe after crash landing, or ditching the ride to the outer rim, once the FO destroys the Hosinan system. If his intention was to provide Finn a moral fork in the road that was a wasted effort. I think that would have been better served developing his relationship with Poe, and having him grow as a leader.

23. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I feel like the creative forces behind TFA and TLJ just don't have a clear idea "who Finn is".

Is he a tough, well trained stormtrooper, a veteran of combat action, who at some point, for some reason, just thought "enough, I am fighting for an evil cause"?
    Is he a rookie, who in his first real taste of FO brutality was sickened and decided to bail?
    Is he a FO "grunt" who spent a lot of time mopping floors, doing drudge work, who suddenly got co-opted into a combat role?
    Is he sick of causes and war and "believers", but with a "heart of gold" at the core?

It feels to me like the movies can't quite make up their minds, that Finn "drifts" some from scene to scene, situation to situation.

afrojedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    In TFA, I'd say he's clearly a rookie fresh out of training who's come face to to face with the actual reality of his purpose, and that part of his training included some menial labor. Before The Awakening backed up the inexperience and anonymity the film either showed or implied, and I've never felt he's that confusingly constructed in that film; the biggest criticism I can see having some punch is that he goes Dangerous Deserter too quickly and is too comfortable shooting his former brothers in arms, but I honestly think that makes sense, since he was trained to think like an automaton but the very people who also stripped him and ally is companions of names, so of course if he decides he's going to escape he has little issue applying that training on direct threats to his life.

Even TLJ only really loses the message by how little they focus on his background throughout his story, even with the setups for him to do something, anything, when seeing child slaves or retraining to the Supremacy and having to navigate its corridors without violence. Both of those scenarios either ignore how he should suddenly be realizing the gravity of his background, or how he's forced to quietly observe the world he left behind.

afrojedi and Joystick Chevron like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That seems about right.