main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Stop assigning motives to other members of the forums or you will stop having access to the forums.

This will be the last warning to discuss topics and not discuss other people whose opinions you do not share.

We want you here but your time with us will be tragically short if you do not pump the brakes on vilifying other members for their views.

CT-867-5309 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I just want to say I didn’t mean to call you sexist, and I’m sorry that it reads that way. I shouldn’t have worded it like that. I meant the script, that if the movie intended that as Rey’s failure, I think the movie is skirting the line of sexism.

I can speak in detail on Finn’s story in TLJ without omitting his important character moments to make my point. You have ignored entirely in your arguments Finn’s core characterization in TFA, which isn’t about Rey but about Finn discovering a life where he gets to choose his own path for the very first time.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Finn had personal agency and a dramatic arc in TFA before Rey even appears on screen.

4. cane_danko

cane_danko Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2018
    I am referring to his motivation not character arc. His motivation before rey was to escape the first order. This actually stayed his motivation over rey until she was captured by the first order.

5. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes, his motivation to live by his own terms, as demonstrated by his choice to walk away when Rey begged him to stay. He stayed ultimately because he saw SKB’s genocide and he chose to rush and tell Han what he knew, then he chose to join the fight to save his friend from a guy that he knows is a genocidal monster. None of his TFA choices involve following Rey around or being singularly motivated by her. Saving a friend is purely heroic. There is nothing Finn needs to learn to grow from that.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    wobbits, afrojedi and godisawesome like this.
  6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except for the fact that when he realized that the FO had used SKB to destroy the Hosnian System, instead of getting on the ship that was three feet in front of him to escape, his first instinct was to run BACK to Han to warn him about what happened. He didn't have to do that, he could have just escaped, but he chose to give up said chance to escape in order to go back, which says a lot about his character.

EDIT: Apparently AhsokaSolo had the same idea that I did, great minds think alike and all that I guess. ;)

7. cane_danko

Nov 2, 2018
    Well, actually, he admits to han that he went to skb to save rey. Saving the galaxy was more like a side mission. Unlike han who was the opposite. Finn is reluctant hero like han was not what han becomes. Though i would argue finn has surpassed han as a rebellion hero now though we will have to wait until 9 to find out.

8. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    This doesn’t contradict what I said. I literally said he’s there to save his friend. Finn is an escaped slave as of yesterday. The expectation that he immediately devote his life to a group of strangers in their war is nonsensical to me. He didn’t escape one cult army and rush to sign up for a different army. His instinct was to flee and live, which is understandable and normal. Frankly, after what I saw in TLJ, I think he would have been better off bouncing. The Resistance doesn’t deserve him.

He is a reluctant hero, and he absolutely was instrumental in the destruction of SKB, which he focused on before looking for Rey. His instincts were heroic in TFA, but he never had a chance to breathe and choose to join the war he escaped five seconds ago.

rayjefury likes this.
  9. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yet another area where setting TLJ immediately after TFA ends up backfiring on it.

Also if I'm Finn, after TLJ I'm getting as far away from The Resistance as possible. Because wow are they an incompetent bunch whom I wouldn't trust to save a kitten out of a tree, let alone the entire Galaxy from Space Fascists.

10. cane_danko

Nov 2, 2018
    I agree that finn had no reason to join to the resistance. I think that is the whole point. Han had no reason to join the rebellion. He was in it for the money. In empire it was revealed he stayed around for leia. Leia tried to pretend she did not want him and he was going to leave. Of course they ended up going on an adventure together anyway thanks to the cave in at hoth.

Finn is in love with rey. Or at least he is in tfa and the majority of tlj. The reason they are just friends is because rey never showed any interest in him. Unlike leia i don’t believe rey ever will but again we have to wait until 9 to find out. Romantics aside, finn has no concern for money like han did. He wants to escape the first order because he has witnessed the atrocities they have commited. If you think he would have left rey behind then i don’t think that aligns with tfa or tlj.

As far as whether finn should leave the first order after what happened i think he is actually invested in the fight now more than ever. Canto bight and crait showed him that fighting the first order is worth it and even going down in a blaze of glory is better than letting the first order win.

11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Nope Finn is not “in love” with Rey while she friendzoned him. None of that is actually in the movie. Finn chose to walk away from her. He stayed to save her life, not to marry her. Sure he had a crush on her, and he walked away by choice. People project this on Finn, including I have no doubt RJ. Finn’s story was not about unrequited love and that is why TLJ is such a disaster in how it mistreats his story.

To show Finn invested in the fight, RJ needed to show him coming to terms with his own history with the FO and his personal desire to ensure that what happened to him doesn’t happen to anyone else. Finn didn’t need to be shamed by a stranger. That was the worst possible approach RJ could have taken.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm that annoying TFA fanboy who LOVES the shiznit out of Finn's story.

I love the substance of his story and the pace of it. It helps make him seem like the best "Everyman" character in the Saga, and one who's impact is massively outsized for a series that tends to put more plot importance on those with superpowers. Finn goes from a literally nameless and faceless background mook to a totally different person and Resistance Big Deal. He's brave and cunning enough that, with each scene where he turns a little bit more against the First Order, he causes a little bit more damage to them. When he just wants to desert, he destroys a lot of material and frees a valuable prisoner because he knows he needs to. When it becomes more practical to carry on a Resistance mission to ensure his safety continues (albeit under false pretenses), he destroys even more material and achieves a major strategic victory that basically undoes Kylo's mission at the start of the mission because he delivers BB8 and the map to the Resistance. Then, when he actually gets a reason to pursue the defeat of the First Order and their superweapon... He succeeds.

Finn's will grows from modest and somewhat pitiable to ambitious and praiseworthy... And his will ends up driving the film. It's why I have a hard time taking the "he's just Rey's sidekick" argument seriously; his initiative and objectives drive the film for most of its run time, in part because of how Rey is written as stubbornly clinging to a status quo she's being pulled away from. She's more his sidekick than he's her's, even though she's clearly more capable than him (basically, she's the Hypercompetent Sidekick until the end of the film, when she finally steps forward as her own hero.)

TFA basically plays out because Finn just makes a gradually escalating series of decisions and by-and-large achieving his objectives as he goes. He won't kill for the First Order, so he *has* to flee them to stay safe... But he realizes that means he needs a good pilot who won't turn on him, so he makes that happen... But that only gets him so far, and he can only secure his ride again by further accepting Poe's mission, so he does... But then his conscience makes him go back after he's secured his passage outmanuver, and he determines that he wants the FO defeated and his friend rescued... So he sees it done.

Heck, even when cornered, Finn manages to achieve a desperate goal of staying alive and protecting Rey, even if it costs him dearly.

TFA might as well be described as "Stromtrooper wants to quit, and some morons just won't let him, so everything blows up."
    This is actually one of the more interesting debate points regarding Finn in TFA: because Finn did abandon his escape attempt and run to *Han* first to explain what had just happened to the Hisnian System, and only afterwards asked about Rey, and because Finn was so willing to prioritize the Resisatnce's objectives in taking down SKB before going for Rey, and then was totally onboard with following Han's updated objectives once they made contact with Rey, exactly what context should we apply to his "I'm only here for Rey" line?

Because I generally took it after the film released as Finn was only on the specific mission to the surface of SKB because of Rey... But that he'd already decided to sincerely assist the Resistance before learning Rey was danger out of yet another pang of his conscience by seeing SKB's Fire.

In other words, after seeing SKB destroy the Hosnian System, he's already moved from First Order deserter and strictly ally of convenience with the Resistance to genuinely wanting to join and help them... But is only willing to take the suicidally dangerous mission to SKB itself because of Rey.

You are *dead right* that he lacks the monetary motivation of Han, which does make his altruism a bit more pure in comparison. And while I do think he loves Rey (and personally hope that avenue is pursued from her side in IX), I generally found it easier to think that if Finn's conscience was powerful enough to break his FO conditioning, than it made more sense for that same conscience to not allow him to turn his back once the Hosnian System is wiped out than for him to run back out of fear for Rey when he doesn't yet know she's in danger.

It's one of those things where I find myself thinking TLJ was taking a redundant and regressive look at the charactes: I felt there was quite a bit more evidence that Finn ended TFA further down the "path to Rebel" road than Han did at the end of ANH, so making the bulk of his TLJ story being what I considered an already told story, and one that in substance was already pretty small, seemed a bit pathetic.

In the end, my biggest issue with TLJ's story for Finn was how much I loved Finn's story in TFA. It felt like I'd went from a four course meal in watching a normal everyman go from no one to hero to a small, bitter pill that I didn't need about how the character wasn't an Übermench like the ones TLJ wanted me to focus on.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Not true.

Even if you don't like the stuff they did with Finn, he DID kill Phasma.

Despite criticism with set up, Phasma IS a named villain in this trilogy along with Snoke, Kylo and Hux.

Kylo killed Snoke and Finn killed Phasma. Both of them, were that persons' former masters.

As the trilogy winds down going into the third movie, we now have two named villains left to deal with (among the vast nameless ones), that being Kylo and Hux.

RiddleMeThis and cane_danko like this.
  14. GDGJ

GDGJ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2016
    That’s not Finn having an accomplishment, that’s just you describing the ending of the movie and then saying it’s some grand act of heroism.

Also Finn is better than Poe because he knows how to follow orders? Really? What kind of weird authoritarian theme is that?

Things like this are why it Finns storyline actively pisses me off. Why is it that now that we have a black person as a lead we suddenly need to learn our place?

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    His story really needs to be better this time. Counting on JJ.

godisawesome likes this.
  16. cane_danko

Nov 2, 2018
    Ummmm what are you talking about know our place? And following orders is a part of military operation. It has to be done for things to work. Not sure what kind of rant this is suppose to be but what you are implying is to distracting for me to answer in a meaningful way. If you can clarify in a cleaner manner then sure.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s hard to just “live” when you know a solar-system destroying weapon is out there roaming the galaxy in the hands of crazy space Nazis. That’s why his “I’m just here to find Rey” in TFA rang false to me. This is the same guy who refused to kill innocent people on FO orders, risking his life by that act. After seeing the FO destroy an entire solar system, I find it hard to believe that he’d just check out and go work on an organic farm. It’s a cartoonish motivation, IMO, and it doesn’t work in either TFA or TLJ for me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  18. cane_danko

Nov 2, 2018
    Well, i mean i am sure the use of the skb did have an impact on finn. I am just saying that his primary motivation was his connection with rey. I come to this belief by what he told han solo.

19. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I assume your first sentence applies to every single citizen in the gffa after the Hosnian System blew up? I am going to assume that you are not applying a double standard to the character that spent his life as a slave and that just escaped that slavery when all of this occurred.

I don’t think his motivation is cartoonish at all. I think it is actual very real world and human. Finn isn’t anybody’s slave anymore at that point. For literally the first time in his entire life, he gets to choose. He wants to be free of all of it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    rayjefury, wobbits, afrojedi and 2 others like this.
  20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    That's part of the reason I find it so easy to fixate on his returning to Han before finding out Rey's in trouble, and following Han's orders on SKB: it always feels like, while he may think Rey is worth an exceptional personal risk, he was already on board with the Anti-First Order political movement by that point. "I'm just here for Rey" feels very debateable when you view all his actions post confession scene, like its an answer given to Han to explain why he's willing to obfuscate about how much he knows about TLJ but wants to assure Han of his loyalty at that moment,

Even TLJ doesn't seem to draw much of a distinction or emphasize his loyalty to Rey above the Resisatnce fro very long at all (which does not help the film either way, but I'll get to that in a second.) All that TLJ needs to move Finn past being focused on Rey is for he and Rose to shoot the breeze hypothesizing how they're being tracked: clearly, even in TLJ's mind, Finn is not far from being a dedicated Resistance member before his "arc" really takes off... Which kind of makes the value of the arc highly dubious, if it's main objective for the character is something even it doesn't consider that big of a change.

21. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    He didn’t even follow Han’s order to focus on SKB first. Han didn’t order him to do anything. Han said basically, “what about the shields?” and Finn was all, “cool I got a plan for that, let’s take care of it first.”

Finn was always down with helping and he understood that the bigger mission came first. He unambiguously demonstrated that twice, when SKB went off and when he went for the shields. He just hadn’t chosen to be in what was, at that point, someone else’s fight. After never getting to live by his own terms, after never getting a chance to just experience the galaxy, his focus was on for once having peace and freedom.

Rey being his personal motive there wasn’t about some manufactured unrequited love like this is a teenage angst soap opera. It demonstrated for the second time in the film that Finn will die for what he cares for. He was willing to die rather than murder for the FO and he was willing to die to save a friend. The character needed time, that’s all, to think and breathe and choose to make the Resistance’s cause his life’s destiny.

TLJ’s lack of a time skip is so terrible. In the end, Finn was shamed within days as though he actually did have some ridiculous obligation to do what others have deemed he needs to do or else he’s a bad person. What other film portrays one of its lead heroes as bad unless the lead is willing to die for strangers? Why is Finn different? Why is his life and his right to choose so valueless? Basically his choice to join isn’t heroic, it’s just not cowardly, and this awful standard only applies to him.

22. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

It's hard to get worse and JJ is just as much as responsible for that as RJ. Its close to impossible to make up for it in the final film of a trilogy.

11-4D likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No he didn't kill her, she fell. Also even then he needed Rose's help to beat her in the end. And Phasma's a joke, defeating her is about as much an "accomplishment" as Han "killing" Boba Fett in ROTJ.

And if you really think that Finn is going to get to take down Kylo or Hux, who both lack any credibility as villains anyway, then you have FAR more faith in the narrative than I do.

11-4D, wobbits, AhsokaSolo and 2 others like this.
  24. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Oh no, I could see Hux being Finn's big accomplishment in IX :eek:

Ugh, one character treated like a joke defeats another character treated like a joke. I truly can't wait. /s

25. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I was going to say something similar to this but you beat me to it.

I could just see it now, those two bumbling through a fight in which they're both knocked down continuously by random objects. Meanwhile Finn is reeling off corny one-liner after corny one-liner and Hux over the top snarky comments. Then Finn gets saved by BB8 and his new mini-cannon or lightsaber at the last second after being knocked down by Hux. Gross.