main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo John Powell to Score Solo with Theme From John Williams

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ren Kylo, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    So, who do you think should do the honors?

For myself, I think it would be nice if Alexandre Desplat got another shot at Star Wars.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    It would be cool to hear what kind of stuff Desplat would have done, but I'd put my money on Mark Mothersbaugh, who worked with Lord and Miller on the Jump Street films and the Lego Movie. I think he'd come up with something really unique.

Whoever does the music though, I want to hear more original in-universe music like the Cantina, especially since the Solo movie will probably feature locales that would warrant live music.

3. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015

Ahh ok that makes sense.

More in-universe music sounds great.

4. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    Does this take place between ESB & ROTJ ?

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes. And completely shot from Han's POV. Two hours of nothing but a black screen. Exciting times we live in!

6. Buddy Jedi

Buddy Jedi Jedi Knight

Apr 9, 2016
    When I see Mark's name, this is what I think of:

TX-20 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    John Williams please

Baron_Papanerd and Sarge like this.
  8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

Mark Mothersbaugh would make a lot of sense, given their history. Plus, I just saw that Mark scored Thor: Ragnarok, so he has his foot in the Disney door, if that means anything.
    He would be completely capable of making great in-universe music, using instruments from his synth collection. Imagine Han and Chewie listening to strange synthy music in the Falcon's cockpit's stereo system. We've never heard music in the cockpit before, because Han didn't really like Chewie's vaporwave playlist, and Chewie didn't like Han's prog pop playlist. One argument led to another, and the system broke after some forceful button pushing/smashing (or blaster blasting..... not saying it was Han).

His orchestral score would be good, as long as the cellos aren't too strong, and the French horns aren't too sharp.

9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I agree. Unfortunately, since John Williams didn't Score Rogue One, it looks like he is getting ready to retire (at least from Scoring Star Wars ) after the Sequel Trilogy. :( Of course, I hope I am wrong. [face_good_luck]

10. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003

Yes. I just came over here to say as much. zero orchestral for the han movie. Do the music just like they were using existing songs, but have them be all in universe songs. Space jazz and Disco.

Or

Push the pendulum the other way totally and have someone do their best Ennio Morricone

11. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Yes! Something like Boris Midney's Empire covers, perhaps:

Or The Electric Moog Orchestra:

Meco Menardo's style might be a bit much. A bit too rock/disco.

A Giorgio Moroder style might be cool, too.

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think John Williams is out of the question. I'm sure it will be someone else.

DaddlerTheDalek and Howard Hand like this.
  13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Mothersbaugh is a really interesting idea. I'm a big Mothersbaugh/DEVO fan, and I'd like to see him get a shot, doing source music at the very least. (Got to meet Mark and Bob 1 about 10 years ago--have an autographed energy dome in a cabinet with my Star Wars memorabilia--and they're great guys.)

I doubt Desplat's name will come up again. In all likelihood, it'll be Giacchino.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I know a lot of people like Giacchino, but Desplat is a league above him, IMO, and it's shame that we likely won't see his name attached to a SW film again.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Something mustn't have been clicking with his RO score. I'm actually very curious to know what approach he was taking.

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    My guess is that his approach was far subtler than Giacchino's, and LFL was worried that it didn't inject enough classic Star Wars elan into the proceedings. But yeah, I really want to know what it was like.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  17. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Imagine having an alternate version of Rogue One, where some final footage is removed, additional footage is inserted, and Desplat's score is heard (it would need to be recorded first).
    An interesting thing that Criterion does, is they sometimes include an alternate score...... for example, I have The Phantom Carriage, which has one by Matti Bye, and the other by experimental duo KTL. The 1946 version of Beauty and the Beast has the original score, along with Philip Glass's opera soundtrack. Other examples that come to mind are Metropolis, and a version of Nosferatu with soundtrack using Type O Negative songs.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd put decent money on Mothersbaugh scoring the film, since he's done the score to every single film Lord & Miller have directed to date. He's also doing Thor: Ragnarok, which comes out later this year and has a similar "Comedy director with a great grasp of drama, emotional character moments, and tonal shifts" thing going on, so that might be a good barometer to go off of.

Siphonophore likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Now that I've seen what a score can sound like for Star Wars if it's not done by Williams, i'm perfectly happy with it not being JW. I would love for Michael Giaccino to get another shot. Although I agree I would've been interested to see what Alexandere Desplat could've done. But for this one, although IMO it should still feel like SW (I'm sure the people involved in making the film clearly understand the importance of and how to do that now) I've been interested in something fresh and new as well, especially if they're focusing on the more Gritty side of Star Wars. That said, I definitely don't want to hear a bunch of pop/rock songs and stuff guardians of the galaxy – style , because that seems inappropriate for the GFFA, spinoff or not.

Ultimately, As long as it feels like a Star Wars story to me that's all. If I had to pick one person specifically to score it, I would pick JW of course – but if it can't be him then Michael G – I quite enjoyed his work on R1...

20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Please no Giacchino. His music is Kingdom of the Crystal Skull-lite. Mark Mothersbaugh would be preferable, John Powell would be ideal. As is to be expected, Powell's is writing is a bit less "refined" than Williams' but he makes up for it with his weighty dramatic instincts and the pure "fun factor".

On Desplat, he's a fine composer but there's a certain "dryness" to his work that wouldn't lend itself well to a Han Solo movie IMO (he was a perfect choice for Rogue One though).

21. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've always like the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack by Joel McNeely. He also did a great job with the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

22. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    McNeely is good but he leans too far in the "Williams pastiche" direction and that's not very interesting to me, especially when Williams is still writing music for the franchise.

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Give Desplat another shot.

24. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    You know what? I think I would be open to that. Space jazz or space disco? Could be interesting, since we're dealing with a young Solo.

I'm imagining that this film may also borrow influence from Lucas' own American Graffiti.

fishtailsam and Siphonophore like this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I like both either would be fine:D
    I actually like Hans Zimmer Gladiator and The Simpsons Movie score was really good!

Sarge and B99 like this.