main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo John Powell to Score Solo with Theme From John Williams

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ren Kylo, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Cloyingly sweet, IMO, and sometimes played over scenes that absolutely shouldn't sound that way. There's a bit during the first Vos meeting, when he offers them all food and drink, that the music is doing an almost Harry Potter-eque twinkling (which I can't describe adequately, not knowing anything technical about scores). It's a sort of pixie-ish xylophonish kind of thing, and something I hear a lot in Disney animations as well. You half expect Tinkerbell to be flying around during a scene with the creepy as heck Vos. It's nonsensical. Why pour sugar over what should be a really tense scene?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Love the soundtrack, but as others have said, it feels disconnected from the scenes. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I am with the score right now and while I like it, it sounds more 007-ish than SW-ish to me.

Right now, I would say Giacchino has the edge over who would be the ideal fit to replace Williams after IX.

cwustudent likes this.
  4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I haven’t got the score yet, but of all the films I like I think I only ever listen to the OT and Raiders out of context, ie in my car without watching the film.

Having only seen the film once it’s hard to comment on the Solo score, again I need more viewings to get a good opinion of it. The only thing I remember jumping out to me as a bit different was the choral theme for Enfys Nest.

5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Okey .. second time around and I liked: Han's theme or whatever it was at the start of the film, Enfy's nest choral and that's about it. The major problem I had with any references to William's iconic music is that it instantly made everything else diminished in comparison.

EDIT: Aaaaand - yeah. I just realised that the Han's theme I like was composed after all by John Williams. So yeah. He writes good music.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    SunStar likes this.
  6. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    Does anyone else get an E.T. vibe from some of the tracks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    On the soundtrack, Chicken in the Pot has two vocalists..... the main singer in gold, along with a high-pitched background singer. I wonder if it was late in the game that it was decided to change the voice of the green dude to be deeper, and it was just too late to alter the soundtrack for production. Or, maybe the green dude just has range.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  8. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I didn't pay attention to the music to much...was focusing on movie over all, but one part I wish they changed was when the did the kessel run. I love the asteroid theme, but I think that served for that moment in Hans life...I think as important as this kessel run is suppose to be I think it should of had its own theme...at least something different from asteroid chase.

Vohnkar and cwustudent like this.
  9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, I hear a lot of Key's Theme (aka the bad guy motif) in the B-section of Han's theme.

10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Haab and Kiner have also done good work, arguably better. The future of Star Wars music is in good hands.

11. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I also got Zimmer/Pirates of the Caribbean vibes from much of the score. It's the small feel of the orchestration combined with the heavy, almost synth-like percussion.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I liked it. It was a great Star Wars score and it was a great John Powell score.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I was not a fan of the score at all. Rather, I can’t say I’m a fan because it left no impact on me. It was a non-factor in the film, and it didn’t even register unless they reused one of Williams’ classic themes.

Except for Enfys Nest’s theme. It felt completely out of place.

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I must say that while I love the Kessel Run, the reliance on familiar cues only made me think of the scenes they originated from. I'll allow the TIE Fighter Attack from A New Hope, as that cue has sort of become the unofficial theme for the Falcon, but hearing the Asteroid Field was a bit distracting.

15. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I can't get over how inappropriate Lando's Closet sounds within the context of the film. It's a truly beautiful cue, evocative of the old romance scores of the 1940s, but it's way. too. much.

I was extremely uncomfortable when Han ran into Qi'ra again working on the enemy's ship, and their ensuing tension didn't feel romantic at all. I felt like the score was trying to force me into feeling a specific way that wasn't working naturally within the context of the narrative. Even Han and Leia never had sweeping overtures playing over their make-outs, and their romance was largely benevolent.

tl;dr, the cue itself is gorgeous but something more subtle and ominous would have felt more appropriate.

Bossk_Baby likes this.
  16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the score is outstanding. cannot overstate how good it is.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  17. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    I agree. Best soundtrack of the Disney era. I can’t stop listening to it. The only negative is that it didn’t fit with the movie at certain points.

18. JawaShuffle

JawaShuffle Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 22, 2016
    I enjoyed the score. I felt it all fit so well with what I was watching. There have been some parts of the score (of some of the other new SW films) that didn't seem to fit and momentarily took me out of the movie...I didn't get that with Solo.

19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Need some help with the soundtrack order. Most of it seems fine, except The Good Guy. It's placed between Break Out and Reminiscence Therapy. However, Good Guy ends with a quote of the Enfys Nest theme, despite her having no scenes between the other 2 tracks. I suspect it goes somewhere near the end, after Savareen Stand-Off, though I'm not sure where exactly.

Anyone know the correct order?

Edit: Also not sure whether Testing Allegiance or Good Thing You Were Listening comes first in the order. I suspect Testing is the Dryden 'boss fight', whilst Listening is the Beckett shoot-out, but I don't know for certain. A possible order is Savareen Stand-Off, The Good Guy, Testing Allegiance, Good Thing You Were Listening.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Joystick Chevron and cwustudent like this.
  20. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I've only seen the film once, but having listened to the score a few times, I feel like it's the piece that plays over the meeting with Vos, ending with Nest and the Cloud Riders attacking Vos' people who have ambushed the villagers in disguise. It seems like it should probably come before Testing Allegiance, as I'm fairly sure that bit plays over the fight with Vos and then the last time Han and Qi'ra see each other. However, another question emerges with Good Thing You Were Listening. Having only seen it once, my memory isn't too reliable, but I feel like that piece played over the confrontation with Beckett. Which would make the order Savareen Stand-Off, The Good Guy, Testing Allegiance, Good Thing You Were Listening, Dice & Roll. I think.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    cwustudent and darkspine10 like this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Ha, I edited my post, and it seems we came to the exact same idea about the order. :)

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  22. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    I loved the asteroid chase theme in Solo (it gave me the chills) because to me the music is saying, this is who Han Solo is (a great pilot) and remember, this is where he started. And remember, in the future this is what Solo will do again (the iconic imo astroid chase scene). I love continuity of character, and continuity of time, past and future integrated. That theme is one of my favorites.

23. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Didn't Han and Leia's theme play over their first kiss before threepio interrupted them? I think that's what was being emulated here. I guess Han has a knack for cornering women in closets/alcoves so they can't escape his suave whatever.

It felt like Han was the one in love with qi'ra --- very much first love and wanting to be together forever -- unrealistic. And qi'ra loves him but doesn't see that future. I said in the music thread that the Lando's closet track was pensive and tragic and it is. It's beautiful but has that hint of sadness. Not to compare solo and qi'ra to Romeo and Juliet but....the track spells it out -- they just aren't meant to be together.

But that's my take on it.

24. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    There is deffo a little Raiders in some of the Music too.

Considering the Raiders Soundtrack and Star Wars one are very similar, it's not surprising to have a little of it included.

25. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    I was hoping there might be a little Dual of fates included on the soundtrack but sadly not.