main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo John Powell to Score Solo with Theme From John Williams

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ren Kylo, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    I just posted a review of the Solo: A Star Wars Story Soundtrack at http://www.g-pop.net/swsolosoundtrack.htm. The long and short of it is that I think the score wouldn't be all that great had Powell not been able to use snippets of John Williams' original trilogy score.

choccy likes this.
  2. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    There is a great interview with Powell in the current issue of Film Score Monthly Online, here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/fsmonline/main.cfm?issueID=161

He talks a lot about that track, how he conceived it, and what its purpose in the film is and how it relates to Han's character -- there is much, much more to it than just simply recycling a JW cue (or several) for ***** & giggles. The track title is "Reminiscence Therapy", which is a term developed by doctors who treat people with dementia and other memory disorders. Anyway, best to read what Powell himself has to say about it. It's a great read, but they do charge you $5-6 to read it. Well worth it, though, IMO.

ComfortablyNunb, Skydoll and SunStar like this.
  3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I love the score I mean except for the first track composed and conducted by John Williams Powell is no John Williams but the score Is magical and Whimsical very relaxing to listen to. Its kind of a cross between Pirates Of The Caribbean and How To Train Your Dragon! I actually like It more then the RO score but not more then the first JW score I know Jurassic World isn't star wars but It Is similar and Giacchino did RO and JW …

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Ok so John Powell posted on Instagram and called the Rebel Fanfare the Falcon Fanfare. Guess that explains why it’s in the score so much, he thought it was the Falcon’s theme.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Having seen the film twice and listened to the soundtrack a few more times, it's growing on me. Still the weakest soundtrack of the live action films IMO, but there are some gems in there.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Powell really suprised me with the score some of the stuff was up there with John W’s best.

D'an and Taylore like this.
  7. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Umm... okay...

In all fairness, that theme wasn't strongly correlated with the Rebel Alliance in SW:ANH, either. I thought of it as a generic action theme for years until I read the soundtrack liner notes. Its overuse in various ancillary media over the decades hasn't helped either.

I think I have a right to expect someone composing professionally for a Star Wars movie to know what themes stand for, though.

8. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    It was used as the cue to introduce the Falcon in TFA.

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard it being referred to as the Falcon theme before though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It didn't make much of an impression on me tbh. :(

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Funny - as a kid I always associated this as the Falcon / Han Solo theme. Watching Star Wars as an adult before TFA I'd realized it wasn't "The Falcon and Han Theme" it's just used during some very memorable moments with the Falcon. Some of my favorite uses of it are in nonFalcon related moments.

Anyway when that's the cue that reveals the Millennium Falcon in TFA I loved it. I really liked how Solo continues to use it that way.

I've listened to the score quite a few times now. It's pretty fantastic. Williams new "Han Solo" theme is so flexible the way it is modified and referenced throughout the entire movie. There are a lot of places I didn't recognize it being used until many many listenings. Rogue One feels like an fictional but accurate John Williams score created in 1976, sort of a cross between the spirt of Jaws and the elements of the original Star Wars that don't continue to the rest of the Star Wars scores.

Solo feels like it's written from Williams perspective in 2018. It references Star Wars scores from before being it's own new composition separate from the numbered Star Wars films.

I recommend giving it a few listens. Once a few hooks grab you the entire score will start to open up. It's a wealth of good original music and unexpected callbacks to the other Star Wars scores.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I initially didn't like the score. Now I kinda love it. What changed? Realizing that it's an Old Holywood score, through and through. Han and Qi'ra's "relationship" music, in particular, is deliberately Casablanca-ish in its sweeping, old school romantic tones. And that's something I just wasn't ready for on first viewing.

13. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Of all the new films, this score made the biggest first-impression on me. "Rey's Theme" is still my favorite thing in ages, but Solo feels more like its own animal than the other new stuff. For obvious reasons, I guess, but I have a notion of this movie's character via the music in a way that I generally don't for TFA/TLJ and to a lesser extent, RO.

D'an likes this.
  14. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    The thing that changed for me was listening to it outside the film. As a piece of music it’s brilliant, but it doesn’t complement the film as well as the Williams scores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cwustudent likes this.
  15. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    worst SW score of all time

cwustudent likes this.
  16. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    Any chance of you making a post in this forum that doesn’t contain the word “worst”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Guidman and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  18. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Extremely stupid decision to make, they had since May to get prepared for it. They should really be serious in putting effort to send submissions for award season, no matter the chances of winning or even nominated, to honour the work that has been put in the film.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Odd slip up.

20. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
  21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I believe the music in this film was pretty good. I honestly didn't watch Solo in the cinema. I paid for my ticket, but my best friend/Eponym called me, and I left the theater. I didn't watch it until it came out on DVD. While the film bored me, the music was pretty good. I don't think we should be hard on composers for not being Williams. The music for Rogue One and Solo were emotive for me.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I recently rewatched Solo and I still think the music is really good. Obviously, having Williams compose a theme for Han Solo was a huge boost, but I think John Powell did a good job.

Howard Hand likes this.
  23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Hmm, the best theme in the movie was not on the actual soundtrack release.

24. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    Therel's a lot of great film composers out there so I'm not really worried about a brand like Star Wars in general when it comes to this sort of thing.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But what if the score consisted of kazoos and bass farts?