main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

john williams in concert

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I'm watching a dvd of Howard Shore on a tour of for his music to LOTR. (I'm not a big fan of the LOTR series, the movies are good;but not great in my opinion) the music is very good and i enjoyed watching it.

Has anyone ever seen John Williams in concert? not necessarily all his SW work and movie scores, but any music of his? and if so..how was it??

I would love to see him in person conducting his tunes.

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I saw him in concert in NYC about a year ago. It was great; he did some Olympics music, Schindler's List, ET, JFK, Harry Potter, Catch Me If You Can, and others. The main Star Wars theme was one of the encores, and the Lincoln Center crowd erupted when it began.

3. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    This is neat: John Williams is making an arrangment of "Soundings" for my town, Cincinnati at Music Hall. That is going to be one packed concert, and he's supposed to be in town for the performance one day too. I'm going to get tickets, and see if I can bring one of my friends. :)

Erich Kunzel went all out asking him to do that for him. I've never heard the peice before, so I dont know whats in for me. I hope the CSO can pull it off well.

~JW

4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I am just amazed by John Williams and his musical scores. Pure genius!!! However, I would only think less of him had he conducted the San Francisco Philharmonic while rockin' out with Metallica.

5. RaenStevin

RaenStevin Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2005
    Be careful where you hear "Soundings". Williams really did write it to be played in very specific conditions. The acoustic effects fail unless the hall really works. I unfortunately heard it when BSO played at Tanglewood with Williams conducting. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic piece that explores the broad palette of orchestral color: HOWEVER, as it was outside, it failed to harness the true power of the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.