main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John William's score in the Revenge of the Sith

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by David Grey, Apr 6, 2016.

1. David Grey

David Grey Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2016
    It's my favorite soundtrack! I think its a masterpiece.

Tragic but beautiful at the same time, especially the Order 66 song, that's powerful.

Anyone feel the same?

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It wouldn't be nearly as emotionally powerful as it is without him. John Williams is a man who truly knows how to take a tragedy and turn it into sound

-Jedi Joe- and David Grey like this.
  3. David Grey

David Grey Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2016
    Hey Seagoat!

You are right about John. he has a quality like no other, its sound design with music. I think he's my favorite composer of all time. I like Han Zimmer and Howard Shore but John Williams is No.1 for me. so many memorable music scores I don't even know where to start but his Star Wars music had a profound effect on me when I was a kid and even to this day.

I think Lucas was lucky to have such a talented guy on board. I think it saved the Star Wars movie back in 1977 from disaster.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's near the top for me, for sure. I've remained obsessed with a collection of tracks from Anakin's Dream through the ending. I made a special playlist that I listen to all the time called Star Wars PT Suite. It's mostly the emotional stuff from ROTS.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    John Williams is not capable of producing bad music. Everything he has touched is gold, including ROTS.

-Jedi Joe- and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It's absolutely phenomenal. RotS and TESB have my favorite overall scores of the saga.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    It has the best soundtrack of the PT imo. So many good tracks on there, almost beats ESB but not quite.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  8. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Wow, I was feeling just the opposite. I thought ROTS soundtrack was the weakest of the 6 earlier movies. I also didn't care too much for TFA (but there is some good stuff). Seemed to me like JW is slippin' in recent years. I think with TFA it might have simply been that he didn't have solid direction or input from the TFA creative team.

Sent from my Gigaset QV830 using Tapatalk

9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    How many of his recent scores have you heard? War Horse, Tintin, and Lincoln are brilliant scores in my book (though if you found TFA and ROTS to be underwhelming, I doubt they'd do much for you either).
    The only recent Williams scores I consider to be "less than great" are Indiana Jones 4 and The Book Thief. And even then, they're both solid, well-written scores that are far from being indicative of John Williams "slipping".

Skydoll likes this.
  10. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Saw Tintin once but really did not pay that much attention to the soundtrack. I did not see War Horse or Lincoln. I felt TPM and AOTC had much more memorable music and melodies that make you hum.

Sent from my Gigaset QV830 using Tapatalk

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015

I'll admit that Williams' music as of late has been less "hummable" (or at least instantly hummable) but I've never found it be a make it or break it quality in scores or the themes themselves. For me it's something that fades away after a few listens.

I personally don't get much out of the heavy hitters like "Across the Stars", "Duel of the Fates", and "The Imperial March" anymore.

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    That's what makes it so difficult - if not impossible - to objectively analyze music. To me, it's completely about the emotional connection that the listener makes to the music. Each of us is going to have a different personal experience with the music, so it won't be the same for any two people. When I listen to "Acriss tge Stars," for example, it's totally different than when you listen to the same piece.

That said, I stick by my belief that John Williams is an absolute treasure who's genius will never be touched for a very, very long time.

Skydoll and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Picked up a copy of this on CD this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find it includes a bonus DVD of music from the films.

14. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    The idea that John Williams is "slipping" when he's eighty-five and still producing scores of such inventiveness and originality as TFA (whether it's to your tastes or not) is, uh... less than generous. He's in a class of his own - where most other modern composers "sketch" digitally first, he still uses a pen, paper and a piano. He's old school, but there's really no-one else like him out there any more. You instantly "know" a JW score when you hear it, and yet it almost always works perfectly with the visuals. He's the very definition of the perfect composer for films.

I was actually listening to ROTS last night and, taken in in its own right, the music's pretty doomy all the way through. Then you get to Order 66 and the lament - damn, yeah, that's music for tragedy right there. It's so yearningly sad. The end titles might be the most uplifting of all of the movies though, save TFA - which has a much subtler ending - perhaps because at the time he thought this was the last he'd be scoring...?

There are always so many layers to his scores; more detail reveals itself upon further listens. Of the PT, I think I listen to ROTS the most, but I also like TPM for all that stirring stuff at the beginning. Duel of the Fates too - which we hear quoted again in this one.

sbk1234 and Howard Hand like this.