main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams To Score Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Jan 9, 2018.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    his last SW movie, not sure what to expect tbh. I feel like only 1-2 musics from TFA-TLJ are memorable the rest is pretty forgettable.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Rey's theme's one of the best damn pieces in the whole saga. Love it to no end.

3. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I do agree with this. You know, often times music just blends in nicely but somewhat fails to deliver when you listen to the tracks alone. That's not the case with the OT music at all. Yes, it's nostalgia but it's also some real depth and interesting stuff going on which always takes you back to the specific scenes in which they were used. Sadly, that's not really the case in the ST (for me), except for a few like Rey's theme.

I guess generic is the keyword for his newest stuff. Some artists simply loose their magic touch after a certain age. However, this is JW we're talking about here. The simple fact that he's still composing SW music at his age is astounding, and I'm glad he got the chance.

starocean90 likes this.
  4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah Rey's theme and Kylo's are the only ones who are memorable. Pretty much your main protagonist and your main antagonist. Rey I think JW just loves that character, recall when KK asked if he can come back to VIII, he asked if Rey would be back, lol.

but yeah props to the legend who's still composing even when he's 87 years old and at least we got him to do the entire Skywalker Saga.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Maybe he heard our opinions on it and would put on his AAA+ game like JJ and crew did ( and still doing ) on Episode IX. I think his aware that it's his last time doing this and would be putting even more effort to look back on what he did on the original in '77 and expand on it even further.

I'm optimistic and I know he'll deliver amazingly well. In JW, I trust.

starocean90 likes this.
  6. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    Can't agree on this. As well as Rey's Theme and the motif for Kylo, there's March of the Resistance, The Rebellion is Reborn (which combines Luke's new theme with Rose's theme), The Jedi Steps, The Spark, I Can Fly Anything (basically Poe's theme)...there's also 'action' pieces which score memorable / dramatic moments, like The Last Jedi, The Ways of the Force, Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle, The Battle of Crait, Escape (from TLJ), the moment when Holdo jumps to hyperspace (which only appears in the end titles)...there's loads there if you dig into it. Worth listening to the How The Force Works podcasts regarding the TLJ soundtrack, which I was underwhelmed with at first:

http://fullofsith.com/archives/2205

7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    wasn't really impressed with any of those tbh. I have a good memory for music, only need to listen to something once to remember it, if I don't remember it, than it didn't really impact me in any way. Just personal differences.

Jedi Knight Fett and nightangel like this.
  8. Psycho Weiner

Jan 5, 2017
    Of course it's personal choice, but you're going to be missing out on a lot of great music if you only give it one listen before discarding it! Some of the music that ends up meaning the most to you is often stuff that you weren't necessarily blown away with the first time you heard it. This is especially true of soundtrack music, which tends to be more complex than pop / rock / whatever. And I can't believe anyone would not be impressed with The Spark, it's one of the most powerful pieces in the whole saga!

Honestly, if you've got a spare couple of hours, it's well worth listening to that podcast, he really brings out the complexities of it.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  9. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    You can't just will yourself to like a particular piece of music. Yes, it can grow over time but most tracks from the ST haven't for me. That said, i may change my mind in 10 years but i doubt it.

Anyway, I'm not really trying to bash here even though it seems like it. I have a hunch that JW will reuse and repurpose music from the entire saga to tie everything together. Well, that's my feeling at least.

starocean90 likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The little piece John composed for Galaxy's Edge was pretty AMAZING!!! Music certainly keeps this man's mind young! And he still has a LOT of incredible music in him ready to come out and grab us and amaze us!!!

Howard Hand and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  11. Psycho Weiner

Jan 5, 2017
    Of course, you can't just will yourself to like a piece of music, I just think that you sometimes need to listen to something more than once before you dismiss it. And if any music is worth doing that for, it's John Williams' music!

I mean this, for example, is pretty awesome:

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  12. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I love the work Williams has done for the ST. Rey's Theme and The Jedi Steps are some of the best things JW has penned IMO. I'm not the biggest PT fan but some of the music was amazing (Duel Of The Fates, Battle of the Heroes) and would love to see some of the motifs from there woven into the ST. It would be a nice way to tie the trilogies together

13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Serious question.
    We know Rise of Skywalker is Williams last contribution to Star Wars.

But is it his last contribution to movies period?

Is Williams' retiring after this?

14. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I kinda thought he was already semi-retired other than the Spielberg stuff? Didn't he kind of only come back due to it being Star Wars and his baby, wanted to see it out all the way?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The last non SW film he scored was, I think, The BFG, but that was by Spielberg.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don’t think JW intends to ever retire. He’s slowed down, but I think he loves his job too much to stop doing it altogether.

On the topic of TROS, I bet JJ has asked him to compose a new grand theme to encapsulate the whole Saga. It’ll be interesting to see - I mean hear - if any old hits, such as DOTF, are brought back to bring things full circle.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Actually The Post, but also Spielberg.

Last non Spielberg, non Star Wars was The Book Thief.

As for JW being off the boil, the TLJ score is deceptively brilliant, and Rose's theme is a beautiful sequel to Anakin's TPM theme.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    He already does, it's cunningly done. Kylo's theme for example borrows heavily from the Emperor's theme.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ...and Rey’s theme is structurally reminiscent of the Imperial March. It also bears striking similarities to the Force theme.

Blobofat likes this.
  20. dingleborder

dingleborder Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2019
    After the trailer, I truly think William's is going to use Leia's Theme a lot in the film, in honor of Carrie and as redemption for Kylo/Ben.
    If any of y'all are familiar with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, composer Alexandre Desplat created Lily's Theme as connective tissue throughout the film to remind viewers of her love and sacrifice for Harry.
    While Lily's Theme is only present in one of 8 films, I believe Leia's Theme is present in 6 of the 8 saga films. It has decades worth of emotional weight behind it. And if JJ was unable to create a scene of Leia and Ben reuniting in person, using her theme during key scenes with Ben would bring Leia to mind for viewers and help supplement the lack of a reunion. People will have an aural connection of the two, instead of a visual one.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So what you're trying to say is

that

Rey is an empirical force?

Lulu Mars likes this.
  22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I personally have not been a fan of the ST soundtracks thus far. Outside of Rey's theme, Kylo's theme, and the Jedi steps - I feel there has not been any other good "themes" in the ST movies. In addition, I have found that the "action tracks" or any other "tracks" found in the film/soundtrack have been very very underwhelming and to be frank, a bit bland.

Considering the amount of work and JW's age, he has still done a good job as these are not terrible, but to me just forgetable. While I dont expect anything to be different for Ep9 - (to me will simply be another rehashed soundtrack), I will hope JW can deliver something nice to end it all.

The question I have is do any of you think the Academy will give JW an Oscar for Ep9, regardless of how good or mediocre it is (regardless of where you fall on the spectrum of ST soundtrack quality)? This may be in the same vain as what they did for the last LOTR movie where they just got bombarded with Oscars, kinda making up for the first two. Do you think JW will get an Oscar, not just a nomination?

23. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Can’t wait for JW to finish Rey’s Theme! :D

24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...eady-wrote-25-minutes-of-the-films-score.html

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'd love to hear a new version of "Duel of the Fates", bring things full circle with Episode 1.

ewoksimon likes this.