main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Join Me In Rereading: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slater, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    I don't think Brian was available to start yet. We'd rather call the chapters by different names if there are different artists. Not always possible, though.

A lot of what was happening in this era was that Marvel and DC were locking down a slew of artists under exclusive contracts, making it harder to find folks who could do three books in 90 days without totally burning out. Kind of like a shortage on starting pitchers in baseball. So we were doing shorter sequences, breaking arcs up, and going to overseas studios -- sometimes a combination. That did give us the latitude to try things like this issue; Dean was able to take twice the time on it that he would have had otherwise, because we had banked stories ahead. I think it shows in the work.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    (The "twice the time" idea actually is part of what led to the later five-month-on, five-month-off arcs — the theory being that one artist could have ten months to do a whole five issue arc. The problem was that being off the shelves in the interval kept books from getting sales momentum -- and even then, it didn't fully work. Only one of the Knight Errant arcs was by a single artist; heck, one had three.)

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Toki being a Dark Side take on Yoda's "Judge me by my size, do you?" mantra was brilliant, as was the whole idea of an impromptu tracheotomy actually working due to alien biology and a healing factor. I actually added this to the Impromptu Tracheotomy page on TvTropes.

spicer and AusStig like this.
  4. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Knights of the Old Republic 39: Dueling Ambitions, Part 1
    [​IMG]
    Notes: http://www.farawaypress.com/comics/swknights/swkotor39.html

Apologies to everyone, once again real life gets in the way, but over a week is farrrrr to long. Won't happen again..........hopefully, ugh.

Were dropped into a sporting event, and not just any, an unholy combo of Duels and swoop racing. And as a evidently perennial champion named Goether Kleej wins once again. He goes into whats seems like a retirement speech. Were also treated to some exposition about how non lethal dueling became legal and exploded in the Republic.

And one of the fans they picked up along the way was our dear Zayne, who is totally fanboying out at being at the sports Mecca. Meanwhile, Jarael is more bemused by his reactions then anything. They watch a game and he delivers more explanations about how it all works, Jarael still really isn't into it and Zayne mentions dueling and swooping were both big on Taris, which is how he got into it. He's surprised she never really knew much about it but she says she was busy with a furlong expression.

Gryph interrupts there talk with a reveal about what he has been up to in setting up there next con. But Zayne has been enthralled listening to the promise of a Goether Speeder being given to the winner of the amateurs. He rushes to sign up, to Gryph's frustration after he picked a mark who deserved it, and Jarael calls it the second worst date she has ever been on* (But she did consider it a date so squeee)

Elsewhere, Goether is being beaten by his, uh "sponsors" for trying to give a speech about what goes on at the lower levels in the farm system. The one heard earlier. was pre recorded. They threaten to send him back to the Farm system, but he doesn't care since his son is there. Or so he thought, but turns out they have brought his son Aubin here and have forced him to compete. They answer Goether's pleading with a deal, if they someone make it together to the end and win, there free for good, if not there both locked in for life.

Zayne is off tearing through the qualifiers while Jarael is in a bar, she hasnt been placing the bets Gryph has called down to her, put off by the fights and how the participants are being used. She muses that Zayne has been through so much that she forgets that he is still only 19. Also mentions that now Rohlan is bugging her to learn about the Force all the time, and Zayne is the only one not trying to force anything onto her.

Speaking of which, Rohlan appears in a tussle with security, after making the mistake of getting off the ship to check on her. He is only saved by Gryph's quick thinking casting him as a novelty dueling act. The prepers grind down his spikes and plan to give his armor a new paint job, which he agrees to because it will allow him to actually walk around in the Republic. As Zayne watches on he notices Aubin and Goether arrives, explaining why his son is so despondent.

He then threatens Zayne with death if he doesn't get Aubin to the finales. Poor dude can never just enjoy himself without something mucking it up eh?

-The date remark is the "real" real first time Jarael explicitly says anything that can be construed as romantic interest in Zayne. Course the face stroke in the Covenant's vault and any under the surface other reasons she kissed him on Adasca's ship also exist. But this is the first unambiguous statement not effected by either conjure of how the art depicted them or the obviously less romantic other reasons for the kiss.

5. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    Knights of the Old Republic 40: Dueling Ambitions, Part 2
    [​IMG]
    (Another contender for best cover)
    Notes: http://www.farawaypress.com/comics/swknights/swkotor40.html

Right into the "Cull" as they call it and Zayne, saddled with poor Aubin has his hands full. And unfortunately Aubin's discomfort eventually causes enough of a problem for Zayne that they crash. But evidently they have also made it to the tandem finals.

On the other side of the tourney, Demagol "Spikes and Goethar start throwing hands and talking smack. But then turn around and blast the two remaining other challengers, leaving the two of them to also advance.

Jarael is off evidently having one hell of a dream, with her back in the space suit trying to save Zayne from the Jedi tower, only the Masters have been replaced with Malak, Rohlan, Demagol and Adasca. They start ominously accusing her of hiding the "truth". The truth about what she can do, and who she was before she met Camper. So many secrets they wanna cut out. Zayne voice interrupts them, but Jarael relief turns to horror as she see him in chains and beaten, on the leash of a mysterious woman in shadows, who says Zayne is hers forever, and tells the four to have at her.

Startling her into waking up back on the Hot Prospect. Zayne is talking to somebody we dont see and drops more vague hints about things he has planned since his vacation. He stops when Jarael enters and hurriedly says he was just talking to Elbee. Jarael shows him a clip Gryph sent her of Goether's retirement speech, the real one. Talking about the lower levels of the system, people kidnapped from colonies and whole generations raise in pens fighting each other for practice. He ends his speech begging for help, Zayne is horrified and Elbee is confused and asks why anyone would bother having organic slaves when they already have droids. Jarael answers him succinctly.

"Entertainment value"

Soon after Zayne goes to Goether and asks about all the endorsements and stuff, how someone with his reputation can't just leave. And Goether talks about the slave gang that supplies the franchise, and how as a franchise player who worked his way up he is both there investment and there product that they own everything of. He then talks about "her" leading the gang that enslaved him, she cut off his horns and they later killed Aubin's mom so nobody can help him deal with the sensory overload.

Well, nobody till Zayne sits down with him and uses his own knowledge of the Force to help give him advice and direction on how to deal with it. Goether thinks it wont be as much help as needed and tells him and Demagol to try to win. Demagol gets pissy that Zayne taught Aubin a force technique but not Jarael, and he cuts him off by pointing out that she never asked for lessons.

Oh and as it turns out old Jervo is involved in the Franchise and owns the station. And he is quite livid that Zayne is there, as that means Gryph must be as well. Bardron mentions they didn't think anything at first because they thought Jarael was an "agent". Jervo doesn't care, he wants them dealt with before they somehow find a way to just ruin everything. And Goether to after his speech stunt. Bardron plans to comply with the other competitors on his payroll and a tragic "accident".

But as him and Jervo have a toast to premeditated murder Gryph is shown in the vents having heard everything and declaring its on.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This is an interesting line I don't remember from my read-through of the series back in the day. I think this is the only in-universe explanation, at least that I can remember, that addresses why a droid-heavy society would need slaves. I would imagine organic slaves are also cheaper, at least in certain contexts and areas of the galaxy.

7. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    The line actually came from my wife when I was wondering, post Episode I, why organic slaves would exist. The answer made enough sense to me that I built the arc around it. Degradation for its own sake is a related reason; what Jabba practices is a mix between entertainment and that, whereas the Sith degrade just to degrade. (Hence the reveal later that the Crucible started as a Sith idea.)

I wanted the Crucible to have a lot of possible customers in all walks of life, however, so I found some more reasons like medical research (Demagol) and labor requiring better judgment and motor skills (comet harvesting). Once I knew the Crucible was on the other side of the end of Vindication, I was prepared to make Zayne's quest against it nearly as long, before he got drafted: instead of investigating a secret shame of the Jedi, he was going after one of the shames of the Republic. We still got a lot of it in.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Slater, WMIRTUTSF, Jedi Ben and 11 others like this.
  8. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    The Episode I Visual Dictionary also says that living/human slaves are a sign of status - hence Watto's line "no pod is worth two slaves!". I can find the exact quote if need be.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd be interested in seeing it if you can find it without too much hassle, thanks!

AusStig and DarthJaceus like this.
  10. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    No problem Dr. Brule! The quote is on page 48 of Episode I: The Visual Dictionary , on Shmi Skywalker's entry -

"Although slavery is illegal in the Republic, laws do not reach all parts of the galaxy - and while inexpensive droids can perform menial tasks as well as humans, living slaves give great status and prestige to their owners".

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    MrDarth0, AusStig and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks - much appreciated!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    In real life, my understanding is that there are physical jobs that are just delicate enough that they require a human and not a machine, which is why automation still hasn't threatened them. The example I heard was the agricultural jobs that so many Latino immigrants have in the U.S. - apparently, there's something about pulling a fruit off a branch, requiring a grip that's firm enough to pull the fruit off but gentle enough not to squish it, that they just couldn't (at least at the time I read this) get a robot to perform right.

Wonder if the same is true in the Star Wars universe, even with far more advanced tech.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    The Flash Forward podcast (which I would heartily recommend to anyone with a general interest in sci-fi or futurism) actually did an episode on the hypothetical role of robotic agricultural workers. Worth a listen (as is the entire podcast).

14. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    Knights of the Old Republic 41: Dueling Ambitions, Part 3
    [​IMG]

Notes: http://www.farawaypress.com/comics/swknights/swkotor41.html

While the Franchise's security works itself into a tiz trying to find Gryph before he does any Gryph like things, Jarael has engaged once again in her favorite pass time. Dressing up in a incredibly cute outfit to get close to a mark, this time the composer for the duels. She has managed to get a box seat ticket outta him and tells Gryph, who is wearing a Goethar mascot costume that he owes her big.

Elsewhere Elbee has taken a roll with the trash crew droids, and when a newer model in chargecalls him scrapheap (Droid on Droid prejudice, like an infinitly more benign version of HK47 hating the 50's with a passion). Elbee gives him a solid thunk to put the newbie in his place.

Bardron and Jervo are up in there booth enjoying the packed stadium and they talk about all the different ways they have planned for those "accidental" deaths to occur. Sports tragedy and all.

In the arena Zayne wonders how there going to pull this off and Demagol tells him he has Gryph on coms with a plan. He tries to tell Goether but he isnt very willing to believe in them. The duel starts and Demagol gets hit by a electric blast, his safety band not deactivating it. He notes the rules for them have obviously changed as Goether speeds by saying his breaks have been jammed.

Zayne tries to grab Aubin for him but they both fall off there speeders into a swamp, where Aubin gets attacked by a gigantic duelist and Zayne's blaster has of course also been tampered with, his attempt to fight with a stick doesn't go very well either. Luckily Aubin's call for his dad is answered and he delivers a rather painful beat down. He then agrees to team up with Zayne who has an idea.

Meanwhile, Demagol manages to get to D'qell sisters to hit each other in a crossfire while missing him. After. Goethar speeds up when attacked by another duelist as per Zayne plan, and lets his bike crash through the glass of the stadium, allowing them to escape through. Security scrambles and tells the composer to play his score to distract the crowd. But his score has of course been replaced with Goethar's real speech detailing the horrid conditions and kidnappings taking place to fuel the franchise, as well as Jervo talking about arranging "tragic" accidents. The crowd starts to turn on Jervo, and he tells Bardron to distract them, which he tries to do by declaring Demagol "Spikes" the winner.

A bit after, Zayne has sneaked out Goether and his son out while Jervo had to deal with all the people in the crowd asking tough questions, along with getting the Swoop Bike Demagol "won" Goether is grateful but asks about Zayne's love of dueling, he answers that even though he enjoys them there just games and helping real people comes first.

Speaking of which Jarael comes off the ship while wiping off her makeup and Zayne thanks her for all her help and offers to help her with her Force talent if she ever wants to. She is grateful and happy to have helped, only to turn and see Goether staring at her with a shell shocked expression.

He erupts and demands she get away from them, Demagol assumes offshoot racism but Goether says its her tattoos and what they mean she is. He storms away declaring he never wants to see Zayne again, as the person he claims to be would never be around someone like her.

Zayne runs after Jarael onto the ship asking what Goether meant, she says he reconsidered he tattoos which she had hoped had faded out of relevancy. Zayne asks if they mean she was a slave, and she clarifies that they mean she was the opposite, a slaver.

On that dour note we see Jervo declaring there media spin might contain thee bad PR but they have to cut ties with the Crucible. the Crucible rep aint having that and immediately starts to strangle Jervo to death while declaring his associates will send another. After she finishes killing him Chantique as she is named asks if Jarael was here, and they confirm she was and her marks made them think she was with her.

She was, long ago but now Chantique declares Jarael and anyone who helps her wont be able to hide from her.

-So in another example of just how long term the story was planned out, Chantique was first used as a name in 11, 30 issues ago.

-Like wise a lot of Jarael's past and her need to hide from it has been set up ever since her very first appearance. Not to mention all the previous mentions of her strange tattoos.

- On these forums the post Vindication issues tended to receive more criticism then any other part of the series, usually centered around the adventures being had feeling like "filler" with Faithful Execution mostly getting a pass for being an excellent one shot. But the ending of this issue obviously provided massive hindsight onto all the other post vindication issues and what they were doing with there focus on Jarael and her past. All for this moment. I personally really liked them even before this issue or any hindsight revealed there actual importance. And later on we will see even more stuff that was seeded in these issues, particularly about what Zayne had really been up to.

15. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    Which all just gets into the major difference in impact between reading a story monthly and all in one sitting. Suddenly a lull becomes deliberate pacing, and seeming details become important. Challenge is, we have to write so it works both ways, and sales react more immediately to the former.

The other challenge, of course, was that year four seemed to start without a "big bad" villain on the scene -- but of course, he was there the entire time. That's kind of why I wanted to do Demagol's Journal afterward -- it's like all the thought balloons you would have seen over his head, had the comics been done in an earlier "no surprises" era. Paste 'em in and the whole series plays differently!

(Seriously, older mainstream comics were pretty poorly suited to doing secret reveals. Shira Brie is one of the early switcheroos that works, in part because it was a shorter story near the end of the thought-balloon era, and the writer knew he would be on the book long enough to let it play out.)

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I read through a big chunk of the original Marvel Star Wars run not too long ago, and I was surprised at how well the Shira storyline worked, especially when read in one go. I think the original Marvel run in general is underrated, even with all the hoojibs and ambiguously gay Zeltrons that started to accumulate after ROTJ.

17. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    A bit off topic but late Marvel is complicated by pre-ROTJ strictures, the closure that ROTJ provided (if people thought post-Vindication issues were an afterthought, imagine following that!), and a tragedy. Gene Day was set to take over as regular artist; he was IMO the most innovative page designer in comics since Steranko, and had done a year on Master of Kung Fu that is a masterpiece. (You can see some of his work here.) He had done some inks over Infantino on Star Wars and had just started on the series with the Mandalore arc when he died of a coronary at just 31. As a reader I could only imagine how he would have transformed the title.

This was him doing his own thing the year Star Wars came out:

[​IMG]

Do a Google image search for his name -- you'll see a lot of innovative stuff.

Back on topic, it was while the "Dueling Ambitions" arc was in stores that I learned we were wrapping at #50 and launching Knight Errant, so at some point in there any old responses of mine were given knowing that we'd definitely be resolving outstanding story arcs soon.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  18. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 42: Masks[​IMG]
    Notes: http://www.farawaypress.com/comics/swknights/swkotor42.html

Masks, the final one-shot issue, and also by far the one most tied into the wider KOTOR game mythos. Not surprisingly considering the subject matter and what it reveals, also easily the moist talked about issue on this forum at its release. I would assume the same was true on other sites.
    Sadly Dark Horse shutting down there forums means I have never been able to read those threads, and have always regretted that. Really, really wish there was a cache of them.

Alas, I highly doubt it, but meanwhile we are set on the quite nice looking work of Wor Tandell, where Jarael is riding a space horse away from her problems, or she was till she bites it and they take a tumble, being saved from the fall by Zayne and the Force on his new bike. She isnt exactly grateful and is very snappy, apparently she has literally been running away from having a conversation more then once already. He says all he asked is why she never told him she was once a slaver. She retorts it was to avoid exactly this, but then drops some history on her time there, where she was kidnapped as a child and forced into the fighting pens, eventually she realized her Minderr was just an older slave and challenged her. She won and then made it easier for the other slaves to "succeed".

Of course Zayne points out that getting sent to dueling leagues isnt exactly a great reward, but she snaps back that regardless it was far better then the fates of most of those who failed. Regardless, she was only a teenager and that obviously made her ability to help limited, but just before she couldn't take it anymore she met Camper, who helped her escape and go into hiding together. Until Zayne came along that is. When that lead to there adventures and nobody seeming to recognize her tattoos, she hoped it meant the crucible was gone. Obviously that was the case. Zayne meanwhile think she doesn't have to run away, she has friends now who would help her. But she finds the idea of going up against the Crucible absurd, and flatly states that she helped him run when he needed to, and if he cares about her he will return the favor.

Back at there ship, Jarael calls out to Slyssk only to be answered by Malak now sporting his rather iconic head tattoos. He is uh....very excited to see her, telling her everything has changed and thats why he is here. In town Zayne see's a republic naval ship, and a Cathar Jedi named Ferroh calls out to him in greeting, who was one of the Jedi Zayne saved from Flashpoint station. Along with him is a Republic Naval Captain named Telettoth. And it is revealed that he now works for Revan's Jedi. Who are now officaly joining the war effort. Zayne is shocked as when he was last on Coruscant the Jedi were more against joining the ever before. Ferroh starts telling him about Cathar, about how when he had returned to it a decade ago it was abandoned. He eventually heard from other Cathar about Mandalorian harassment and was certain they were the cause. So was his Master Revan, so they went to the planet to find proof to force the Jedi to allow them to join the war.

But soon after, when Malak returned, so did Vrook and many other Council Jedi, telling them the Mando's were nothing special and they were to disband permanently. But then Revan saw a mask underfoot, and just as he picked it up all the Jedi present were shown a force vision. In it the Cathar are driven into the sea by the Mandalorians led by Cassus, as its a vision of the past, the jedi are unable to help them.

The Cathar are fully driven into the ocean were one of the Mandalorians pleads to Cassus for them to be spared as they have already been defeated. Cassus doesnt care as he wants to cleanse the stain of the Cathar helping defeat them in the Sith War, but he salutes the warrior for standing with them then orders the Mando's to open fire.

The Jedi are all shocked back to reality, having seen and felt the genocide. A furious Revan calls out that they didnt need to do it, and that though he doesn't know the name of the Warrior who stood with the Cathar, he will take up her cause. (This is also the earliest we ever see someone canonly say the name Revan).

Afterwards, as news spread the Jedi council had no choice but to sanction the Revanchists. (as a mercy corps as told by other material).

Malak has fully embraced his new name, the one he chose, and the one he intends to make everyone remember. They have almost everything they need. But he still wants Jarael as well. He talks up her talents as a fighter, and throws some "loving big brother being condescending" shade towards Zayne going around doing things like swoop duels. Gryph is supportive if thats what she wants, and mentions them being able to help with her force talents which only makes Malak even more excited, it also causes him to have a Freudian slip indicating that he wants and thinks she belongs with him specifically more then just as a member of the Revanchists.

Demagol interrupts at that, very not happy with the idea of anyone taking Jarael anywhere. Malak tries to talk, but Demagol slugs him. They start to engage in a legit fight. Jarael tries to stop them, but they wont have it and continue to slug it out. Malak gets the upper hand ans shoves him into the fire, but Telettoth and Ferroh arrive and pull him off.

(Ferroh actually says the exact same thing to Malak that the female Mando said to Cassus, never saw anyone mention that before)

Hilariously Tele yells at Malak that beating up a sports hero is a scandal his movement cant afford. Zayne is surprised he brought a cruiser, which Malak is proud about, he then reiterates that he is here for Jarael, she will be a great ally yadeyada. Zayne hears him out then says he doesn't doubt she could be as he knows her better then anyone, then pulls her into a kiss*.

Everyone is shocked, though Malak mentions that Shel suspected. He is still flabbergasted while Zayne spins a tale of them finding each other recently after she helped him, and that they have big plans far away from the war.

Later Malaks ship takes off and Demagol thanks Zayne for his help, Jarael wonders why he did it. He says he remembered that along with helping him run she also gave him time, and helped him face everything when he was ready. He doesn't know whether she wants to be with him or not, but this gives her time to make that choice for herself without being pushed.

She asks him after a moment if he really thinks they could take on the Crucible. He says he hasn't told her what he did on his vacation, and that he has resources to be called upon, as he isnt a circus act or a clown. This is enough to convince Jarael. Up on his ship Malak is looking rather dour as they had off to the war

* Zayne's 3rd fake kiss, but the first one he initiated. Character development :p

- Telettoth evidently would go on to stay loyal to the Republic when the civil war broke out, as by the time of Knight Errant a saying of his about never letting Malak on your ship is quite famous.

-People had some arguments about the Jedi being sanctioned and how much that contradicts the games, but I agree with those that say it didn't. As other material made clear it was as a mercy corps, the fact that Revan and Malak used that as a springboard to make themselves supreme commanders is clearly going well over what the Council clearly wanted to just be a half measure.

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Ferroh being an apprentice/follower of Revan is also the closest thing to an explanation for the KOTOR game's otherwise unexplained opening lines about Malak being "the last surviving apprentice" of Revan.

20. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    Telettoh, as the notes say, was based on Pete Hottelet, who had won a charity auction to appear into a Star Wars comic; Dark Horse decided he should go in KOTOR. (Where, I guess, the character's life would be in less danger than if he were, say, in Legacy!)

I had remembered cases before where characters either based on fans or designed by them had only made token or cameo appearances -- the poster child for this is Humus Sapiens, who didn't appear at all for decades after his creator won a Marvel contest. So I decided to give him a decent sized role. I expect the fact that he even reappeared later was a nice bonus!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  21. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 43: The Reaping, Part 1
    [​IMG]

Notes: http://www.farawaypress.com/comics/swknights/swkotor43.html

Were dropped into seeing some poor workers know as Dust Divers get a very unwelcome reminder that there jobs in comet mining sucks as the volatile nature of the comet there on triggers and explosion with them in it. Some exposition follows about how and why there so dangerous, and why they cant just blast the comets open, to fragile.

Also apparently the job is usually high paying, but of course not when you use slaves instead. Which this crew is, and there rather indifferent about risking all the divers lives they have if it means getting to that deposit. Its mentioned that the Jedi dont put a stop to it because they ran of to fight the Mando's.

But then Zayne and Jarael make a grand entrance all fancied up with Crucible Tat's and pretending to be coming to change the prices they let slaves be used at. And you know the drill by the point, they con them into thinking there here for an advance on the next shipment of slaves, and will pay for it by using there own ship to claim a part of the harvest directly.

The miners are not happy but they dont think they have a choice but to let them. Though there leader has ideas of her own stating its still a business with rules.

Back on the Hot Prospect Gryph is thrilled with how the con is going, thinking its just a snatch and grab, obviously having been kept outta the loop about the real reason Zayne and Jarael brought them there. Zayne doesnt like lying to him, but she points out lying is what he does for a living. Regardless there here to save some slaves and wreck the Crucibles relationship with another customer. This co-op is also where Jarael learned long ago that the weaker slaves werent being freed, but sold.

Zayne goes off to find the slaves, enduring an awkward elevator ride with there intermediary Qohn.
    And when they arrive he fins out there are 80 alive slaves, with many others having died that morning. Which is 8 times as many as Jarael and Zayne expected based off her last time there. Qohn mentions him surviving 5 dives makes him a legend and that this is the big one, with every single one of them being sent out.

But back up top the leader Sariyah had enough fore-site to call a recently departed Crucible ship and they confirmed that Zayne and Jarael are frauds. Jarael was listening in and warns Zayne that there cover is blown. But thats just as well given the much larger amount of slaves. The two don space suits and dive outta the ship down to the asteroid. Once on Jarael senses a geyser before it bursts and saves Zayne from it. Prompting him to see how its like a reverse Rogue Moon and a decent place to learn. Guards are sent after them who are quickly dispatched by the two, before Zayne tells Qohn to get everyone topside of the comet.

Gryph is giddy about the haul he thinks there about to get. And he gets even more excited once Jarael calls in, only to have it all turn to aghast horror as he sees Zayne using the Force to levitate all 80 slaves towards the Hot Prospect. Zayne demands he open all the airlocks to let them in while he does the levitating. But before he can get them all on there attacked by Skyreaper drones which Jarael explains are something the Crucible uses to attack and capture settlements. Which obviously means the Crucible is here, and in style with a rather snazzy looking goldish colored ship named the Gladiator commanded by someone calling himself Fleet Captain Dave Golliard.

-As of this point in the series, Zayne levitating the 80 slaves up to the Hot Prospect while on an exploding comet is easily and obviously his most impressive use of the force ever.

-Its such a silly minor thing that doesnt have anything to do with the issue, but the type messing up the placement of 42's cover is driving me nuts. I can't edit it and am seriously considering asking if a mod like Nick can fix it. Which is a ludicrous thing to bug a mod about but its messing up my perfect formatting and my brain can't handle it

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    @Sinrebirth can probably fix it -- he's been around through the holidays.

It's funny, I remember the events of this issue but have somehow conflated them with some of their earlier escapades, and my memory of Masks's events was that it was one of the very very last before the conclusion.

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It looks perfect to me on Tapatalk, problematically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    One of my favorite covers for the series, and one of the three KOTORs framed on my office wall. (The others are #1, for historical reasons, and #29, my favorite cast shot.)

25. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    Knights of the Old Republic 44: The Reaping, Part 2
    [​IMG]
    Notes: http://www.farawaypress.com/comics/swknights/swkotor44.html

Starting to a flashback of young Jarael under attack by the Crucible long ago. A much younger Dace finds her and reassures her that the drones wont attack her because he found her. Back in the present Jarael isn't thrilled with the deja vu and tells Zayne Dace's name.

Meanwhile Golliard is revealed to essentially be roleplaying as still somebody in the Military. In his case pretending to be a Fleet Captain. He sends the sky reapers after them, and though Zayne manages to get all the Miners onto the Hot Prospect, one of the Reapers grabs Jarael. Luckily Zayne shows his growth into a slightly more competent action hero, and quickly grabs onto and slices her out before even more descend on them. But Demagol shows up blasting away and saving them both, before pulling them both to the Hot Prospect while giving Zayne an earful for bringing Jarael along.(The plan was both there idea you jerk)

On board, Gryph isn't thrilled with all his new passengers, and at first refuses to go to hyperspace while the ship is still mining the asteroid but as him and Zayne argue the ship is hit with more cannon fire.

Back on the Gladiator, Golliard continues his roleplay while his cre discuss his backstory, as he really was a member of the navy before he was thrown in the brig and on his way to being court marshaled when the Sith attacked his ship and the Crucible pulled him out of the derelict. He preceded to do well in the pits, killing the rest of his own crews survivors. Course he shoves a gun into the back of there head and flatly states that he doesn't were there silly face paint because he is a "professional" and since he is in charge, they will either follow his orders or he will shoot them.

The Hot Prospect takes a pounding as the Gladiator moves into board. Only for the HP to hit them with a drill cable that pierces the ship and starts to cause decompression. Before they can do anything, Demagol starts dropping Xenoboric acid, causing even more damage, and they also spray it onto the Sky Reapers. the break the Gladiators bridge screen with the wench, forcing the back ups to activte and making them blind. Dace in a fury sends all the Sky Reapers after the Hot Prospect. But Zayne gets an idea from Gryph's mentioning the centrifuge.They jam the centrifuge the entire ship is built around and turn of the internal dampeners while Dace makes threats to Jarael, causing the entire spin to transfer from the centrifuge to the ship and giving Jarael and angle to fire the main gun, as well as clearing them a path to go to Hyperspace.

Later at a transit hub, a freighter captain friend of Zaynes takes the miners while Gryph chews them out for scamming slavers. He also isnt thrilled to here Jarael was once one of them. She apologizes, but states that even though she never wanted to think about it again, now she can't stop, and that Zayne was right, she has to do something to try to stop the Crucible from attacking more people and ripping families apart like her own was.

Demagol, is rather pleased with Jarael finally telling them, and is as eager as ever to help her, especially if it means they might find the other settlers from when she was taken. Gryph is much more hesitant, pointing out that only having heard of them a month ago means the Crucible is good at making people disappear. Zayne is more optimistic, saying they know more about the them then they know about the crew.

But far away, Chantique is fully sick of Golliards Navy roleplay, and prepares to kill him before she is stopped by another member Bar'injar who says that the holo's Dace brought back confirm what they thought, and the fact that Jarael has teamed up with a Jedi, or at least somebody who can beat them, makes her a bigger threat. As any Jedi contact immediately become a security concern and Dace's experience means he will prove useful alive in destroying them both.

Meanwhile, even farther away, on Coruscant. "Demagol" finally awakens from that hit on the head he took 34 issues ago.

- Like I mentioned, this is actually the first arc were you could really see Zayne as a action hero in the more traditional sense. He still relies on his head far more, and is still a magnet for fickle luck. But he does far better in feats of traditional action her then he ever has previously

-@Sinrebirth Its just I missed the space in between Masks and the cover. so everytime I look at it on the desktop its all messed up. Lol, not a big deal at all but if it can be changed, just hitting space bar once in between the S of Masks and the cover would fix it