main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** Journey to MiddleEarth/Monsters Inc. -- Nov. 3rd ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Hmm, I was just informed by a friend that it looks like the Saturday shows are sold out (or at least the 1:30).

I was planning on stopping by Ticketmaster tonight to get my pair, I might still just to see what the story on at-the-door tickets is like.

Jeez, if those Tolkien fans would just crawl out of thier hobbitholes and get a life this would never had happen!

So who actually has tickets at this junction?

2. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Yep - looks like the 3rd is a sell out through Ticketmaster. I'm pretty confident we can get in at the door - it just might mean that we have to wait until 2:30 to enter the main exhibit. But there's more than enough to take in at CasaLoma aside from Middle Earth. Who's with me in trying to locate the Danger Room?

So it comes down to what we can get at the door, or from those shifty looking Tolkein scalpers.

"I gotchyer Middle Earth exhibit right here. Hobbits, gnomes, whatever. Tickets right here."

--

We'll post theater times/locations for Monsters Inc. as soon as they're available.

3. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Ok, playing the devils advocate here.

So Tragic, what makes you confident we'd be able to get in at the door? Do you have insider info?

I'd really like to see this show and I'd love to find the Danger Room (It's in there somewhere - watching the movie to get a sence of it's location) but I really don't like the idea of getting there, standing in the cold on a 'chance'

They have tickets available for other days, so I know I can still get in but the question is, should I wait around and hope!

4. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001

I have the aforementioned 1:30pm tickets for myself, adam, greg, david, farook

sorry duker... i haven't been able to get to a ticketmaster in the last week :(

has anyone decided on when/where people with 1:30 tickets will be meeting-up? (although if it's just me/adam/david/greg going to that 1:30 show, then i guess we could all just meet up in north toronto like usual if someone's driving)

-m-

5. SLam

SLam Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 1999
    Well, I'm in the same boat as you Kenobi.

I hope we can get in on Saturday. They're advertising that thing like mad now.

Uhm... by the way. How does one get to Castle Loma? I think I'll take the TTC.

6. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    There is a TTc station at the bottom of the hill. I think it's Dupont Station.

7. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    From the Casa Loma Website:
    ----------
    TTC (subway) Directions to Casa Loma

The TTC traveller has four options to reach Casa Loma by way of public transportation.

1 - Go to Dupont station (located two stops north of St. George station on the Spadina- University line) and walk north two blocks on Spadina Ave. At this point, visitors have the option of climbing the Baldwin Steps (110 steps) at Spadina Ave. and Davenport Road or walking up the hill on the west side of the castle.
    2 - Go to Spadina station and take the Davenport 127 bus to Davenport & Spadina. Get off the bus and climb the Baldwin steps (110 steps ), or take the bus one stop further to Davenport and Walmer and walk up the hill on the west side of the castle.
    3 - Go to St. Clair West station on the Spadina-University line, walk east on St. Clair to Spadina, turn right (south) and keep walking (approximately 15 minutes) to the castle.
    4 - Go to St. Clair station on the Yonge line. Take the St. Clair streetcar (going East(David: That should read WEST I believe)) to Spadina Road (5 minute ride), get off and walk south on Spadina Road (approximate 10 minute walk) to Casa Loma.
    ----------
    And a map: http://www.casaloma.org/images/Content/Visitor/map.jpg and another map from mapquest, by way of toronto.com

I plan to drive down and park at my Grand Parents place. I can probably offer a ride or two from Finch Station if they're in demand. Mike, I can stop by your place on the way to pick you up if you'd like. We should talk once I'm back in the city... could you e-mail me your phone number?

It's a bit of a walk from where I'll be parking (about 1.5 km I think) so wear comfy shoes. :)

(EDIT: fixed the link)

8. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Tracy and I will most likely be TTC'n it down to the exhibit so we may run into some of you around Dupont.

Same day tickets are available, and unless there's several hundred lined up, I can't see it being a problem getting in on the 3rd. We may have to wait an hour or so, but we will get inside. But I'll phone the castle in advance to confirm this and to get an idea of how long in advance we may need to wait. Anyone in the neighbourhood who wants to do a swing by of the castle and get a visual on what the crowds are like?

And if someone in the city could get a copy of EYE or NOW when it comes out tomorrow, and post the showtimes for Monsters Inc., then we can finalize our plans.

9. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Anyword on their policy on video cameras? I was thinking of bringing my camcorder with me.

10. EBCorp1

EBCorp1 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2001
    I can't make it at the appointed time on Saturday, a meeting's come up and I didn't pre-order anyways. I'll check the situation later on Saturday.

So, is anyone interested in Toronto's Dr Who convention this month?
    Who Party 13
    The guests are John Leeson, who is the voice of K-9 the robot dog, the author Lance Parkin, and Paul Ebbs, Steve Johnson and Bill Baggs, who produce fan audios and videos. They are all British.

This is soooo OT, I'll shut up now. Cheers

11. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    I gave the castle a call, and they said there should be no problems getting in. The gentleman I was talking to actually sounded surprised at the idea of not being able to make it in. Adam - sorry, I forgot to ask about recorders and cameras. I don't think it will be a problem, but you can call them at (416) 923-1171 to check.

As mentioned - Tracy and I will probably be showing up a half hour to an hour in advance.

--

Anyone have any word on showtimes and locations?

12. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001

photos shouldn't be a problem... there're already pics up on theonering.net taken by someone else. And if photos are okay, video should be as well.

(You can also legally record concerts, no matter who tells you otherwise.)

13. SLam

Aug 2, 1999
    A ban on taking photographs has never stopped me taking photos. Mwwwwwahhahhahaha!!!

I should bring my infamous photo of a "No Photography" sign when I went to visit a few studios in LA. :p

It should be o.k anyways, since they're modern props, and not ancient artifacts that can be damanged by flashes and bright lights.

14. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll give them a call soon, but it seems like it will be alright.

15. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Tragic, I might meet you at Islington never mind dupont. Thanks for the though anyways Topgun.

16. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Here are the showtimes for Silvercity Eglinton

MONSTERS, INC
    No passes Fri-Wed 12pm-12:30pm-2:30-2:45-4:45-5-7:10-7:30-9:30-9:45
    I would imagine, depending on the time we see the exhibit (2-3) and Casa Loma, then make our way to Yonge and Eg, Eat (5-6), then probably make the 7:10 or 7:30, but be warned, they're probably be LOTS of Kidsthings running around for those times.

Anyone else have any input?

17. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm sure we could strecth it back to the 9:30 showing...if everyone wanted to see a later showing.

When and where is the finalized meeting place?

Is the plan still to all go to the 1:30? Or are we going to have to split up and meet somewhere later in the day? If so, when and where?

Will GonkDroid have all the information needed to meet us for Monsters, Inc.?

How many more questions do I get?
    Would you believe none?
    Would I?
    What's that?
    What!?
    What is what?
    Isn't that Paul Anka and the Sundance Kid?
    Why don't we ask him?
    Are you going to ask?
    Why would I?
    I thought you said you would?
    bttzzzz...
    Game Over.

That was fun.

18. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Here are the choices for theaters and showtimes:

SilverCity North York (Famous Players)
    5095 Yonge St. (416) 223-9020
    Showtimes: 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 2:45 pm, 4:45 pm, 5:00 pm, 7:10 pm, 7:30 pm, 9:30 pm, 9:45 pm

SilverCity Yorkdale (Famous Players)
    3401 Dufferin St. (Yorkdale Shopping Centre) (416) 787-2052
    Showtimes: 12:00 pm, 12:20 pm, 2:30 pm, 2:45 pm, 4:45 pm, 5:00 pm, 7:10 pm, 7:30 pm, 9:30 pm, 9:45 pm

SilverCity Yonge & Eglinton (Famous Players)
    2300 Yonge St. (Yonge & Eglinton Centre) (416) 544-1236
    Showtimes: 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 2:45 pm, 4:45 pm, 5:00 pm, 7:10 pm, 7:30 pm, 9:30 pm, 9:45 pm

Paramount (Famous Players)
    259 Richmond Ave. W.
    Showtimes: 12:00 pm, 12:20 pm, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 2:50 pm, 4:45 pm, 4:50 pm, 5:10 pm, 7:10 pm, 7:30 pm, 9:30 pm, 9:50 pm, 11:50 pm

Uptown Theatre (Famous Players)
    764 Yonge St. (416) 922-6361
    Showtimes: 12:00 pm, 2:30 pm, 4:45 pm, 7:10 pm, 9:30 pm

---

Given this choice of theaters, my particular vote is for the Uptown. We can walk down to Bloor if we choose, and there we've a whole mess of places to choose from for dinner. We can then catch the 9:30 showing which will have significantly less ankle-biters in attendance. What say the rest of you? Let's have a decision made by tomorrow afternoon so we can let those offline know just where and how to find us.

19. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm fine with that.

20. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I think we're prettymuch all trying to meet for the 1:30... something will work out, it always does.

Gonk has my cell phone number to call to find us, as does Echo Base.

21. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    I wouldn't mind at all seeing it at the uptown, probably a bit cheaper the silvercity, and I will assume that someone else knows where I am going to meet them, hopefully david does, and I believe he will be driving, hopefully me as well and possibly this turnip.

22. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001

UPTOWN = BEST OF ALL!

cheaper pricing. better sound. and a feet-put-uppable front row.

plus, it's going to be shut down anytime between now and next fall.

and stop calling Farook a turnip, you cad!!

23. SLam

Aug 2, 1999
    Does anyone know if the Paramount is showing M.Inc in their digital DLP cinema? It would be worth while to check it out there as well.

24. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm for the Uptown as well.

Slam, don't know about the DLP at the Paramount. None of the sites I go to mention it at all.

Well, hopefully we'll all make it to the Uptown. I have a few friends that want to meet up to see it and I've got to let them know when and where.

25. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Well - it seems the consensus is the Uptown for the 9:30 showing.

For those coming to Casa Loma via TTC - you are welcome to meet up with Tracy and I at the entrance to DuPont Station around 1pm. It's a short walk over to the castle from there, and that should be more than enough time to get in. Personally, I'm picking up a TTC daypass for jaunting to, from and between places.

Should we miss anyone - we will meet again inside the Castle around 2:30. Go down to the cafeteria in the lower level (by the gift shop, I believe) and there you'll find us. I'll be wearing a Force.net shirt or something Star Wars related, so we shouldn't be hard to miss.

There's no way to really tell how long the exhibit will take us or how long we'll be in Casa Loma - and dinner plans will probably be an on the spot decision. Unless you've got the cell number for one of our members, your best bet is to catch up with us at the Uptown.

I'll call Gonk tonight to let him know the theater and time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.