main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** Journey to MiddleEarth/Monsters Inc. -- Nov. 3rd ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Oct 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Great!

I'm heading back home now and am looking forward to seeing everyone tommorow!

2. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001

Tragic, the cafeteria there is NUTS on the weekend. Kids... lots and lots of kids... 1.7 billion loud kids with juiceboxes...

"Do you ever wanna take a kid and just smash his head into a wall?"
    - (paraphrased from an EBCorp t-shirt... do you still have that, Eric? :) )

a better meeting-area would probably be the garden out back. it's very out-in-the-open (being outside, an' all), and it'd be easy to spot anyone from the raised-up "back deck" area of the castle.

Although, the garden is part of the paid-admission area of the castle, so maybe "right out front" would be better, in case anyone is showing-up but not actually going-in.

but who knows... i'm only here to add confusion :)

3. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Well I guess I should swap numbers. If I'm awol it's 416 816 8594

4. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Um...Duker, you should have PM'ed or e-mailed that. Never post your number on a public messageboard...

Cris~
    Only you can prevent forest fires!

5. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    But if the weather tomorrow is like it was today - who's gonna want to stand around in the rain in a vain hope that someone else shows up?

I pick the cafeteria specificly because we'll be easy to pick out amongst all those kids with juiceboxes -- and also because it offers the opportunity for a quick bite for anyone with the munchies.

6. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001

the munchies... *snicker*

("no smoking-up in the danger room, children!")

7. Jerba_Bantha

Jerba_Bantha - SWRPG Designer -Former RPG Staff VIP

Jan 14, 2001
    I went to see the Episode II trailer, and all I can say is: ....wow!

I sneaked in at the beginning of Monsters, Inc. at 5:00PM to see it, then I went to see The One at 5:15PM.

Wow wowow wowowowowwwww!

8. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001
    I saw it tonight too, as the opportunity presented itself to see Monsters Inc. in the front row at the Uptown on opening night, and was too good to resist.

Interesting (SHORT) trailer, with just Vader's breathing and silent footage of... different things & places...

"It" has begun...

9. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    I got let in free to see the trailer, as well as Chris and Stef. It was the greatest minute I've had in a long time. Now I knowit has begun!

10. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2001

Thanks guys for being so considerate that I have the info I need to meet up with you. Alas, this is the first time since Wednesday that I'd been able to connect. Gonna replace my Web Browser; that seems to be the culprit.

I phoned Tragic and got the scoop on the the Uptown, so I'm cool thanks. As for specifics, i'm calling Poobah's cell later today.

Derek and I went on Friday afternoon with another friend. Two guys from The One Ring website turned their camera on each of us for our (woefully unrehearsed and uncomfortable) comments on what we saw -- even though we were STILL looking at the storyboards in the entry tunnel! Maybe our sound/video bites will be posted on their webpage. That'd be kewl.

Also we spoke to a New Zealander visiting the exhibit! Her name was Judy Elly, and she worked on Costumes. She wanted to see what the public thought of the work they did. I assured her we felt it was absolutely wonderful! I said to her that the work was what we'd hoped it would be. She was very nice. We were thrilled. Derek says in the One Ring Forum, people from all over the States and abroad were "wishing they could go to this exhibit", or "wished they lived in Toronto." YEEEEEE!

Overall, we had a fantastic time poring over all the stuff! Awesome exhibit!!

11. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2001

It's Sunday morning now. I saw Monsters Inc. at the Eglinton Town Centre cineplex cuz they're close to me, (and I had to see a showing earlier than 9:30pm cuz I was taking my 6-year-old son to it too), and I knew those theatres are THX equipped.

I always seem to post big posts, so I'll skip the WOW THIS AND THIS AND THIS WAS AMAZING details about Episode 2, and ask you:

HEY! Did they show a LORD OF THE RINGS trailer at the Uptown, cuz I saw one at the Eglinton Town Centre. It was thrilling, I beamed with delight all through it! Did you see it?

12. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    No - we didn't get the new LotR trailer, but we did get a long Harry Potter one.

Sorry we weren't able to meet up for this one Rob, but that's okay. Something tells me the calander is going to be stuffed full of get togethers and gatherings. And even if none of those pan out, maybe some of us could just get together in a cafe some weekend to down a few cups o' joe and shoot the breeze. There's much breeze out there and I'm fully armed.

We've Harry Potter coming up, and of course December brings us to the Fellowship of the Ring. I'd like to have another games night or perhaps one of my movie nights (been a while since I've plopped together an agenda of film with an accompanying theme meal).

---

The exhibit, while quite crowded with folk, was very nice. I was left with the impression, not so much of looking at a series of props, but rather looking at a series of historical artifacts. But the setting of Casa Loma certainly added to that effect.

Random things discovered during the tour:
    * Pool cue battle may or may not end up in the final film
    * Gandalf is Bilbo's father (that's not true -- that's impossible)
    * Dwarven skeletons are worth a long line in a tiny attic
    * Tammy loves Platinum Blonde '86
    * chirp chirp chirp chirp -I'm here-

Monsters Inc. was a great movie. Simple as that. Fun, neat design, good storytelling. Just go see it if you haven't.
    "Kitty!"

13. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Sorry you couldn't make it, Gonk! Hopefully we'll be able to plan something that will work out.

I have to agree with Tragic's sentiments about Monsters, Inc. I took my brother on Friday and liked it alot. I saw it on Saturday with the gang and liked it even more.

Episode II --Awesome! It did its job very well -- teased the hell out of us. I can't wait until the 9th and the 16th. I'm really liking the darker tone of the film, the style seems really cool. Awesome!

I have footage of the cues used in the infamous pool battle. I really hope this makes the final cut.

I hope everyone is looking forward to my new film -- "The Hole". Starring Ben Affleck as "The Hole" Rated: AA.

14. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    I'm surprised the pool cue battle isn't talked about more considering the amount of screen time its getting. I mean the pod race was long, but a 23 minute slapstick comedy routine involving Frodo, Sam, Shelob, and two drunk Orcs is a little excessive.

15. SLam

SLam Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.