main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Resistance Reborn

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    This book is peak Himbo Poe Dameron, and I love it.

Daneira and DarthHass like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, if I wanted a reason not to buy it, that'd do it.

Don't think there's ever been a SW book I'm been this ambivalent about.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Galaxy’s Edge (the park) has to take place while Hondo has possession of the Falcon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I finally got round to finishing the book and I’m disappointed especially seeing as lots of others seem to really like it.

I didn’t like it or more specifically how it was put together. The actual plot was interesting with the different teams and I liked the idea of weaving in characters from Aftermath, Bloodlines, Inferno squadron and other ST lit but what ruined it for me was the characterization.

The only two characters who felt like their actual on screen depiction or other appearances were Poe and Shriv. Every other character from Rey to Nora seemed to be written by someone who had not actually see/read the source material instead going off a cliff notes version.

I know that that is most likely not the case however I found it really distracting having characters feel one or two beats out of sync causing the melody of the plot, so to speak, to seem discordant and out of harmony. I kept getting pulled out of the story because of it.

Oh well.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    RESISTANCE REBORN is the first novel set in the post-Last Jedi world and sets up the galaxy for the upcoming RISE OF SKYWALKER film. The tattered remnants of the Resistance struggle to recruit a new army of leaders and soldiers to fight against the triumphant First Order.

THE LAST JEDI was a controversial movie among Star Wars fandom, even more so than THE FORCE AWAKENS. For many people, the themes of "kill the past" and that the Heroes of the original trilogy had feet of clay (but were still admirable) didn't go over well. I, myself, had severe problems with the handling of Luke Skywalker but have still maintained a mostly positive attitude toward Disney's handling of the franchise. So what did I think of it?

It's okay. This isn't me attempting to damn the book with faint praise but I struggle to really put into words why the book failed to connect with me. It has quite an excellent cast of characters, numerous nods to previous NuEU continuity, and a fairly well-developed plot. It also manages to give us a sense of what the state of the galaxy is post-Hosnian Prime's destruction.

The premise is the First Order has successfully conquered the entire galaxy in a matter of weeks. While the Republic collapsing and their fleets being destroyed was something established by The Force Awakens, it seems that there's no actual attempt by the remaining New Republic forces to resist against them. I find this disappointing and wished we had stories of the First Order battling their way across the galaxy but it seems they all folded like a deck of cards.

Much of the book is about General Organa, Poe Dameron, Finn, Rey, and others attempting to find allies in order to build a new Resistance. They don't appear to be actively seeking out New Republic remnants among their military and politicians but seeking ex-Rebels as well as ex-Imperials. I have severe issues with the latter because it falls into the trap of Imperial apologia.

One of the things I liked about the NuCanon is the fact that it treats Imperials like ex-Nazis, people who revolt the citizenry of the galaxy and are considered the scum of the universe. Recruiting Imperials against the First Order feels like the only way to defeat Hydra is to get the help of the Red Skull. The original recipe Imperials are forgiven in what is a good speech by Poe but I feel like they're people who are getting a lot more slack than they really deserve.

The galaxy feels less like it's been under an occupation for a few weeks and more like several years. Indeed, one character is unintentionally sympathetic because she's a seventeen year old girl working for the First Order. I couldn't help but wonder how sympathetic a young woman who signs up to work for the Axis after a week into their invasion of France would be.

One thing I liked about the book was Poe Damoren dwelled a lot on his betrayal of Holdo. The author establishes that Poe was not actually in the right, got plenty of Resistance soldiers killed, and has been heavily affected by his mutiny. I feel that's the way the movie intended his plotline and am glad someone has finally put it to rest.

While Poe's handling is excellent, I should note that Rey is almost nonexistent in this book despite her epic role in the new Trilogy. She shows up, says she's a junk trader and pilot but there's little talk about her Jedi training or plans to revive the order. She also expresses her regret about not being able to redeem Kylo Ren and overemphasizes her sympathy for him when I thought the movie was about how he's irredeemable. Finn also establishes he's not interested in either Rey or Rose, which seems bizarre given we have two movies of romance set up.

One character I liked was Winshur Bratt who is now one of my favorite Star Wars villains. A filing clerk for the First Order, he easily falls into the brutal and corrupt practices of the First Order. He's exactly how I expect someone who signs up for the regime to be like and he's every bit as contemptible and vile as someone attracted to space fascism should be. I also liked the appearance of Wedge Antilles and Nora Wexley. I'll never get over Wedge not being married to Iella but they make a reasonably cute couple. There's also a return of a popular Claudia Gray character but I'm a little concerned that it undermined the power of the book he appeared in's ending.

Overall, this book is fine but I feel like it doesn't paint a particularly good image of the Star Wars galaxy. The galaxy rolls over for the First Order and doesn't do a thing to resist them despite the fact they've nuked Washington D.C's equivalent. It also pretends there's a difference between the Empire and the First Order when they're equally as bad at best. People signing up to serve a fascist dictatorship that has conquered their homeland is also treated as normal. It's a weird and not very good take on the galaxy. On the other hand, the writer is excellent at battle scenes and I enjoyed their take on Poe.

5/10

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm incredibly easy to please and disagreed with a huge amount of this book's world-building. I didn't like how the galaxy is so blithely ready to embrace ex-Imperials in the Resistance and the First Order as a whole.

I also don't particularly find most of the characters sympathetic.

Xander Vos likes this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Between Resistance, Resistance Reborn and Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire(this one especially) and the Poe Dameron comics I now have the impression that the First Order didnt just spring up out of the Unknown Regions and start acting like psychos. They've had quite a few years of propaganda against the Republic and using pirates and mercenaries to see discord and chaos in select places to bolster their "law and order" propaganda. I suspect the Republic also hasn't extended it's more egalitarian vision as far as one might have thought specifically because of Mon Mothma's disarmament policy(not that military might is the only way, but it's a big galaxy and slavery existed under the old Republic's watch). That left a big hole for neo-Imperial apologetics to fill.

Look at the Mandalorian. Things aren't necessarily all peace and light every where after the Empire's fall. The First Order could build on that for years until they were ready to nuke the Republic.

IG: @jedisufism

8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I liked this one. Pretty fast paced read and it really pulls in from a bunch of materials (movies, books, video games, comics). I thought Poe was handled the best in it, good job dealing with the fallout from TLJ. Did not expect to see one character from ESB make an appearance, only wished he would have been in the book more.

Iron_lord and chrcharcor2 like this.
  9. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    About the picture of Old Man Wedge on the cover... can anyone tell if that's a picture of Denis Lawson now, or just an age-progressed one of his OT-era self? Because if it's really him as he is now, that'd be a big clue that he's in TROS if you ask me.

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Looks like a newer picture to me. Might be a composite though.

11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I thought I read somewhere that Denis Lawson was confirmed to be in TROS.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I finished this audio book a little while ago and let it marinate in my head a bit. I'm finding that the new canon books that should be completely and totally up my alley are not doing a whole lot for me. Strangely, "Master and Apprentice" is likely my favorite of the new canon, and I'm not even that interested in the Jedi. :p But I wasn't sure if "Resistance Reborn" was going to be the equivalent of what "Catalyst" was for Rogue One, so I went for it. It had good parts and I'm glad I read it, but overall I'm somewhat ambivalent about it.

I loved the tie-ins to the Poe comics. Jess being referred to as the Droid Destroyer made me Very Happy. I didn't expect to ever see Suralinda in a novel, so that was a cool surprise as well.

I had some trouble with the exploration of the aftermath of Poe's mutiny. I can't fault the author for this since it's a direct consequence of TLJ and that was the one thing about TLJ that I did not like at all. I can appreciate that the author delved into it and turned it into character growth for Poe.

I know this will sound weird, but I didn't like reading about Wedge here. A lot of that is admittedly my own disagreements with his changed background in the new canon. I don't like the changes and I don't understand why they were necessary. Give me the Booster-Terrik-raised, Gus Treta survivor who falls for Iella, not an ex-Imperial-cadet who somehow ends up with Norra. An example specific to this book is that I don't agree with the thought that Wedge would consider Norra a better pilot than him. And yeah, I'm probably the only person who was sad to hear Denis Lawson might be in TROS because I don't trust the movie to not kill off Wedge. (That's not a TROS spoiler since I honestly don't know.)

I liked Leia's characterization. I felt bad that she feels the weight of the whole galaxy on her shoulders. I also liked seeing Ryloth since it gave me hope that some PT- and OT-era nonhumans still exist in the ST. :p

I was glad to see that Leia's unanswered distress call from Crait/TLJ was being addressed and external factors were mentioned as a possibility of why they heard nothing. It makes a lot more sense to me that something like a mechanical problem or jamming or whatnot kept the signal from getting out or the replies from coming in, instead of not one other single person saying they would help. An external factor would hopefully also relieve some of that "alone against the galaxy" feeling Leia has.

There were other Resistance members on the Falcon after Crait, weren't there? Aside from Connix, Rose, Finn, Rey, Poe, Leia, Chewie, Nien, and the droids? Because it surprised me that none of them were mentioned. I can understand not wanting to name them and flesh them out in a book that already has a lot of characters, but there was a complete lack of acknowledgement of their existence, which seemed strange to me and made me start wondering if I was remembering the end of TLJ incorrectly.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It's not unrealistic at all. The East and West German armies and civil services alike were packed with ex-Nazis. Sometimes moral purity takes a back seat to pragmatism.

banistersmind likes this.
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Germany is too easy of a comparison. Everyone left over in Germany in 1945 that worked for the government was a Nazi. Let’s look at Operation Paperclip, where the United States just went and hired all the Nazi scientists after the war. The guys designed invented all America’s spaceships were Nazis. The guy in charge of Kennedy Space Center in the 60s, oversaw the Apollo missions, was literally a former stormtrooper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    And the current Pop's predecessor was a member of Hitler Youth.

16. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    Same conclusion, really. If the Resistance is looking for experienced military personnel, it's very wise of them to accept ex-Imperials into their ranks. No war has ever been won by only accepting help from the most morally upstanding and untarnished supporters. Destroy the First Order now, act holier-than-thou later, that's my point.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Well, with my OCs (I do this often), the former Imperials living in the sector I created had made a life in the 30-year peace, agreeing the Empire died with Palpatine and that it was all ego of the Emperor's part. When the First Order tried to recruit them, the former Imperials all said the same thing: "The Empire is dead, get over it. You're all on an ego trip and quite frankly, the cost in lives wouldn't be worth it.". Naturally, the FO wouldn't listen.

Please note, I made it so my sector isn't a push over to the First Order. Its somewhat isolation from the galaxy as a whole (having only one way into the sector through hyperspace that won't take two years literally to get to the other planets) makes it a hard target. The destruction of Starkiller Base does them no favours and the Defence Force is pissed off with the lives lost in the Hosnian Cataclysm united the sector against the First Order anyway.

Voltron64 likes this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe insufficiently destroying the Empire and leaving De-Imperialication half-done is exactly why the First Order exists. It happened in Legends too and got the galaxy conquered by Darth Krayt.

The Empire is and always will be evil.

Voltron64 and Dawud786 like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    At least in Canon it's not unreconstructed Imperials joining the Resistance. It's ex-Imperials that actually regret what they did under the Empire and dont want to see it happen again.

Legends was chock full of Imperial "good guys" that were still devoted to a fascist government. As a result, we got Darth Krayt and the Sith-Imperial War. There's no reason even after the events of Legacy that the Felpire won't again deteriorate into a psychotic Empire run by dark siders again at some point.

Voltron64 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Kind of suprised that Yendor, Wedge and Rieekan did not have some interaction when everyone showed up on Ryloth. All were on Hoth together and Yendor and Rieekan were closely associated in Lost Stars. Just a paragraph or two of them saying 'hey' and catching up would have been sufficient.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I enjoyed this book a lot. Wedge's reaction to the losses, especially Luke and Ackbar, was poignant. I enjoyed Rieekan a lot, and want more of him. Unfortunately, we likely won't see him in IX. He would have to be recast.

22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I found it a little strange that when talking about all the losses of former Alliance heroes, Han was never mentioned. Han's passing seemed to only mean anything to Leia.

JediFett10 likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Did anyone else get major Finn/Poe vibes from this book? Haven’t read the rest of the thread.

mnjedi and Daneira like this.
  24. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    Agree, the Empire was evil. That doesn’t mean literally everyone in the Empire was evil, and certainly isn’t a good reason to reject help from former Imperials when The First Order is on the verge of taking over the Galaxy.

Between accepting the help of some ex-Imperials and letting an even worse version of the Empire take over, I’ll take the former every time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, very much so. I loved it.

As to the ex-imperial I never got the sense she was a facist. Brutal warlord only in it for herself and terrible person, sure, but with no real attachment to the imperial ideology. She’s probably worried about the FO horning in on her little personal kingdom, as opposed to the NR, which is becoming increasingly apparent never had any real authority and was basically an entirely ceremonial institution that the galaxy basically ignored/ payed lip service to at best. (Thanks Mothma).