main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Resistance Reborn

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    well their all dead so moot point :p

indydefense likes this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/resistance-reborn-exclusive-excerpt
    A sharp pain in her temple brought Leia’s thoughts up short. She squeezed her eyes shut in sudden agony. These headaches were a side effect of the healing process, the medical droid had said. She was to expect them to last for a few weeks, but between the headaches, the nightmares of being lost in space, and the grief of losing her friends and family, Leia was exhausted. What she wouldn’t give for just a moment of relaxation, of safety; a few days or even a handful of hours of knowing everything would be all right.

“General Organa?”

The voice came from behind her and Leia turned to find Rey standing in the doorway. The girl wore a version of the same scavenger garb style Leia had first seen her in the previous day, only now Leia recognized touches of Jedi influence in her ensemble. She’s changing, Leia thought, but there’s still some Jakku there that she hasn’t let go. But perhaps that wasn’t fair. Perhaps Rey simply clung to the simple things she knew in a sea of chaos, the way they all did. Speaking of simple, Rey held a steaming cup of something in her hands and when she saw Leia notice, she proffered it forward.

“I brought you a cup of Gatalentan tea,” Rey said.

Leia smiled. “Do you read minds?”

“What, like a Jedi? I . . . I’m not—”

“I was just thinking about how much I would love a cup of tea,” Leia said, saving Rey from her awkward scramble. “Nothing Jedi about it. Just”—she motioned Rey forward—“a welcome surprise. Thank you. And please, call me Leia.”

Rey nodded, looking relieved, and hurried forward. Leia took the tea from her. The fragrance immediately filled her nose, and she could feel the muscles in her shoulders loosen.

“I could get you something stronger if you like,” Rey said, pointing back toward the galley from which she’d obviously come. “I think Chewbacca keeps some caf in there.”

Leia blew across the hot beverage, sending small tendrils of steam floating through the air. “I’m surprised he had this.” Ah, but it probably wasn’t Chewbacca that kept a stash of Gatalentan tea on the Millennium Falcon, but Han. Oh, Han. Gone, too.

“And I’ve made you sad,” Rey said, noticing the look on Leia’s face.

“Not you,” Leia corrected her. “Life. This war. You are a light in the darkness.” She gestured to the seat across from her.

“I didn’t mean to stay. I just heard your voice in here and thought you might need the tea.”

“Well, you were right, and I insist you stay. I could use the company, and you’re making me nervous standing there. Please.” She gestured toward the seat again and this time Rey sat, sliding her hands under her thighs and smiling awkwardly. “There,” Leia said, patiently, hoping to put the girl at ease, “isn’t that better?”

Rey nodded. The two sat in silence as Leia sipped her tea and Rey made a show of looking around the room, gaze floating across the communications board. Leia followed her wandering regard.

“Why aren’t you asleep like everyone else?” Leia asked.

“Oh, me? I haven’t slept much these past few days,” Rey said quietly. “Too much on my mind.”

“I know the feeling.”

Rey shifted in her seat, eyes on everything but Leia. My, but this girl was nervous. She hadn’t seemed this nervous when they’d met earlier. But so much had happened since then, or maybe she just had something on her mind.

“Rey—” she started.

“I heard you talking to someone,” Rey said hastily. “Did you finally get through to our allies?”

“Not yet,” Leia confessed. “That call was from a couple of pilots I have scouting, but, and I hope this doesn’t come out wrong, we need more than pilots. We need leadership. Pilots are crucial, but the First Order took Holdo, Ackbar, others.” She sighed, the grief heavy in her bones. Leaders she had called them, yes, but also friends. People she had known most of her life, now gone. “We need strategists, thinkers, those with the means and will to lead us forward. To inspire others to do the same.”

“I didn’t know them,” Rey admitted. “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Leia nodded. “We’ve all experienced loss.”

Finally Rey met her gaze, a question lurking there. Perhaps she wants to talk about Luke, Leia thought. We spoke of him, but briefly. Just an acknowledgment that he was at peace in the end. But then Rey said . . .

“Kylo Ren. He’s your son . . .”

Ah. Leia nodded and drank from her now cooling cup. Rey squirmed uncomfortably in her seat.

“What happened to him?” she finally asked. “I mean, how did he turn to the dark side? He started in the light, didn’t he? He told me a story about Luke, about his training.” She exhaled. “I guess I just want to understand.”

“I do, too.”

“So you don’t know?”

“I think you would have to ask Ben what happened to him.”

“He wanted me to join him, but I couldn’t. I thought I could help him, but he only wanted me to become like him.”

Rey’s face fell, and Leia could see the pain etched there. The girl cared about Ben, and he had disappointed her. “Ben has made his choices,” Leia said. “No one can save Ben but himself. And I don’t know if that is what he wants.”

Rey nodded, a sharp dip of her chin. “I know that. I mean, rationally I know, but I guess I held out hope.”

“Hope is good,” Leia said, her voice gentle with understanding. “Hope is important, and sometimes it is all we have. But,” she said, smiling, “what does hope have to do with being rational?” She held out her hand and Rey leaned forward and took it, pressing her palm to Leia’s and squeezing.

“I don’t know how I’m going to do this,” Rey whispered quietly.

“But you will do it,” Leia said, her voice a little louder, filled with a little more steel. “And you won’t be alone. We will be here with you.”

Rey seemed to steady, and a smile blossomed briefly, her first since she’d arrived.

A buzzing on the console and Leia answered. “Hello?” she called into the mike. “Identify yourself.”

“General Organa! It’s Poe!”

“Poe.” She turned slightly away from Rey. “Where are you? What’s your status?”

“Ikkrukk. It was close, but Black Squadron pulled through. Zero casualties although Jess and Suralinda were pretty banged up. But I can report that Grail City is secured. We sent the First Order running.”

Finally a small bit of good news. “Wonderful, Poe. And the prime minister, Grist? Is she well?”

A moment of static and then Poe was back. “Can confirm that yes, Prime Minister Grist survived. And she’s invited us to a party.”

Leia exchanged a look with Rey, who gave her a small grin.

“Poe, can you do something for me?”

“Anything, General.”

“Go to Grist’s party and tell me what the attitude is there among the guests about the First Order.”

“Well, considering the First Order attacked them, I imagine they’re none too happy right now.”

“Maybe not publicly. You will need to look past their words, Poe. Be alert for the subtler things. Note who still won’t criticize the First Order, or who criticizes too loudly, as if to prove their loyalties. Notice who’s not at the party. Did anyone declare themselves openly with the separatist faction?”

A moment when Poe was clearly talking to someone else and then, “Cannot confirm. But I’ll keep an eye out.”

“You do that. And see what Grist is willing to commit to the Resistance. That was the reason Black Squadron was there to begin with. Your timing ended up being fortuitous, so let’s see if that buys us anything.”

“Okay. Anything else, General?”

“Yes. Have fun. You survived the battle and you’re all still alive for another day. Make sure to enjoy it.”

“Flying’s all the joy I need, but I hear you, General. Copy that.”

“And let me know where Black Squadron will head next. Grail City is a good win, but we have so much farther to go.”

“Copy that,” he repeated. “Okay, Poe out.”

The transmission clicked off and Leia leaned back, the worn chair creaking under her weight.

“Well, that’s good,” Rey said, startling Leia. She’d forgotten the girl was there, she was so quiet.

“Yes, it is,” Leia agreed. “But it’s barely a drop in the bucket of what we need.”

“But every drop counts, right? A drop here and there and before you know it, you have an ocean.”

An ocean. What did a girl who’d grown up on Jakku know about oceans? But Leia said, “I like the way you think, Rey. Yes, you’re right. No need to minimize what Poe and his Black Squadron accomplished. Now, why don’t you get some rest?”

As if on cue, Rey’s jaw cracked in a yawn. “Yeah, maybe I should. I was working on the compressor. The humidity on Ahch-To caused the condensation to build up in the casing. I need to clean it out, find the leak, and seal . . .” She pressed her lips together. “I’m sure you don’t care.” She stood.

“On the contrary, I’m glad you’re taking such good care of Han’s ship.” Leia lifted the cup. “Thank you again for the tea.”

Rey gave her a quick nod and left.

Ahch-To. Of course. That was where Rey had found Luke. Maybe the girl did know something about oceans after all. And perhaps there was a lesson in there for Leia, too.

She shook her head, rueful, and turned back to the communications console. One more attempt, she told herself, and then she’d follow her own advice to Rey and try to get some sleep. Today it was droplets, she thought, and tomorrow it would be a river. And perhaps, eventually, a mighty sea that could stand against the First Order. It seemed improbable, but improbable was all she had.

She ran through her list of allies again, starting at the beginning.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Good excerpt. Conveys Leia's human side of grief, loss, and doubt quite well. Gives us a sense of connection between Rey and Leia as well as Leia and Poe that I'd been hoping for in the book. Also some flashes of humor with Rey's offer to "get something stronger" that turns out to be caf. [face_laugh]

A little more than a month until the book is out. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Wrinty likes this.
  4. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
  5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Oh, Marc Thompson. His young Leia voice is bad enough, but his old Leia is even worse.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *rolls eyes*

I for one am happy to have more Leia, Rey and Poe. Very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Me too. This book will be released the day after my birthday so in many ways its perfectly timed as a birthday gift I can buy myself.

indydefense likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Really not sure about that:
    "caring for Ben" bit. [face_sick] How? She's never met him, only Kylo.
    Other than that, the other elements are better.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think that city is from the final issue of the Poe Comic

Also Rey and Leia...UGH...My heart ...It hurts...But it feels good.

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yep, everything they discuss about Ikkrukk is from the last few issues of the Poe comic. I suppose it also gives us an indication of how soon after TLJ this is set, considering Poe rushes off to Ikkrukk not long after they escape Crait. It's maybe even the same day.

11. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    It's Leia, not Rey, who refers to him as Ben.

12. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Giving that this takes place so close to the Poe comic... I'm guessing the events of Allegiance, Resistance S2, Spark of the Resistance, and Black Spire are woven into the narrative.

JediFett10 likes this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Black Spire is set four months after TLJ, and Allegiance seems to be leading up to Rise of the Resistance at Galaxy's Edge, which is also roughly four months. So Reborn looks like it's going to take place before most, if not all, of the other tie-ins.

JediFett10, Sinrebirth and Wrinty like this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Black Spire is four months after TLJ, as I recall.

That's the furthest we've gone, save for TROS being a year after.

EDIT: I twas Ninja'd

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Spark of the Resistance is a separate Rey/Poe/Rose adventure, so I'd imagine that takes place after this as well.

16. Wrinty

Apr 8, 2007
    Ah, good catch. Spark of the Resistance does release this week so we'll probably be able to deduce when it takes place with Regards to Rise of The Resistance and Black Spire.

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Some familiar names.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oooooh.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I hope these guys show up in Resistance Season 2 as well, that be something.

Wrinty likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Again sorry for the DP but...interesting stuff here.

PimpBacca and Wrinty like this.
  21. Wrinty

Apr 8, 2007
    So it would appear the First Order is keeping the galaxy at large in check with the false threat of the Starkiller base while obliterating anyone who offers assistance or even communicates with the Resistance. I'm curious to how they got the info to abduct/kill Leia's Resistance allies though.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Loving how this book is tying together a bunch of loose threads.

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Likely the same reason Holdo never told anyone about the plans for Crait that led Poe to do what he did.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I don’t get it.

25. Wrinty

Apr 8, 2007
    Uhh, my meaning was that I'm curious as to how the FO got ahold of Leia's secret (i'm sure) resistance supporters/collaborators.