main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Resistance Reborn

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Well, it is possible that the reason Holdo kept the Crait plans secret even when Poe was pushing her was because of what happened to the fleet after they escaped from D'Qar. Look at it this way, Leia said they were tracked through hyperspace but that would normally be impossible, would the first thing they would think of be a new hyperspace tracker device kept on the flagship of the First Order? Or would you think someone inside the Resistance leaked their coordinates to the First Order Fleet? Finn and Rose figured it out but only told Poe and Threepio. Holdo didn't know. So it had to be a physical spy in their opinion, not some weird random new tech they never knew existed or even considered!!

It may not have been a spy during the Chase of the Resistance Fleet to Crait, but who knows for the next few times.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I still don't get it.

Wrinty likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    More excerpts.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, looks like Roanhorse is the new Luceno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Revanfan1, Wrinty, starfish and 3 others like this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...-wars-resistance-reborn-by-rebecca-roanhorse/
    The Resistance is in ruins. In the wake of their harrowing escape from Crait, what was once an army has been reduced to a handful of wounded heroes. Finn, Poe, Rey, Rose, Chewbacca, Leia Organa—their names are famous among the oppressed worlds they fight to liberate. But names can only get you so far, and Leia’s last desperate call for aid has gone unanswered.

From the jungles of Ryloth to the shipyards of Corellia, the shadow of the First Order looms large, and those with the bravery to face the darkness are scattered and isolated. If hope is to survive, the Resistance must journey throughout the galaxy, seeking out more leaders—including those who, in days gone by, helped a nascent rebellion topple an empire. Battles will be fought, alliances will be forged, and the Resistance will be reborn.

Leia left the library to go and greet the arriving fleet. As she made her way down the tunnels to the incoming ships, she was joined by R2-D2. She hadn’t seen the little droid in days. She guessed he was mourning Luke in his own way so she had let him have his space. But she was glad to see him now, and he rattled off a happy greeting.

“Aren’t you supposed to be helping Rey with repairs to the Falcon?” she asked.

R2-D2 replied.

“That’s good news,” Leia agreed. “I’m glad it’s done. Now we see what Poe and his Black Squadron have brought us.”

Another round of beeps, and Leia nodded.

“Inferno Squad, too,” she amended. “All good pilots. Good people. But we need leadership, Artoo, not just soldiers. I need thinkers, strategists, battle experience.”

R2-D2 beeped.

She laughed. “You do have a lot of experience. You would make a good leader.”

They left the side tunnel and entered the main hangar. It hummed with noise and activity and the smell of ships that had recently been flying among the stars. Leia embraced it all. It was expectation. It was hope. It was what would keep them alive.

The ships groaned as they settled into the Ryloth gravity and dry desert air. Excited voices called to one another in greeting, and astromechs whirled and beeped requests for fuel and repairs.

“Leia!” a voice called, and she looked up to find Poe Dameron heading her way at a steady clip.

R2 beeped a question and Leia pressed a hand briefly to his head. “Yes, go say hello to Beebee-Ate,” she said, and the droid spun merrily away.

“Commander,” she greeted Poe as he approached. He flushed brightly. He ran a hand through his thick dark curls and dipped his chin, chagrined.

“General,” he amended his greeting with a nod. “Sorry for the informality. Just glad to see you.”

“I’m glad to see you too, Poe.” She hadn’t really meant to correct him, just remind him that they were here in front of potential new leadership and that they should set an example. “Walk with me and tell me what we have.”

He walked her through the hangar, pointing as they went. “The two pilots there you know from Black Squadron, Jessica Pava and Suralinda Javos. The woman with them is ex-Imperial officer Teza Nasz. They found her on Rattatak after fighting in the death pits.”

He pointed to the eastern quadrant where Jess and Suralinda had parked their ships. Jess was bent over, talking to her astromech. Her dark hair was matted on the side with what looked like blood. Leia made a note to make sure the pilot got medical attention immediately. To her left, Suralinda was greeting a woman who had made her way over from the civilian transport ship. The woman was imposing, unusually tall and rippling with what seemed to be hard-won muscle. She wore a one-shouldered jumpsuit that looked like it had been stitched together from a mixture of animal hides and discarded armor. Her exposed arm displayed an elaborate stretch of short slashing lines that had been cut into her dark skin from shoulder to elbow, and below the elbow she wore a leather bracer. Her thick hair was dyed blood red and she held it back in dreadlocks that trailed down her back.

Leia stifled an incredulous laugh. “That warlord is ex-Imperial?”

“So they say,” Poe said. “She was an officer in the Imperial Navy. Some sort of genius strategist involved in the Battle of Jakku, but when that went sideways for the Empire, she was assumed dead on the Ravager. Turns out she just went to ground and only popped back up on Suralinda’s scope because of a story about Rattatak fielding a shockball team in some major tournament. Suralinda recognized her from a background picture. They used to know each other.”

Leia pressed her lips together, thinking. “Well, she looks like a warrior, not a strategist, but perhaps I shouldn’t judge by looks alone. If she dropped off New Republic scopes that thoroughly and was able to rise to power on Rattatak, she’s probably both. What’s her name, again?”

“Teza Nasz.”

As if hearing her name, Nasz turned her head toward them. Her face was painted in streaks of ocher and coal lines vertically crossing her cheeks, and she narrowed dark watchful eyes at Leia. Leia returned her gaze until the woman turned away. Oh, she would be interesting.

“Who else?”

“Princess Leia?” an excited feminine voice cut in. Both Leia and Poe turned.

Zay Versio beamed at them and stepped forward to shake Leia’s hand. The young pilot’s short dark hair was tousled, and her eyes looked tired under the thick black eyebrows that dominated her delicate face. But she smiled gamely, and her handshake was strong.

“It’s good to finally meet you in person, Zay,” Leia said, greeting the young pilot. “Where’s Shriv?”

“Over here,” a blue-skinned Duros said, joining them. He looked tired, too. His skin looked sallow under the cave lights, and lines ran like rivers under his large red eyes. He swiped a hand over his noseless face and grinned through thin, almost nonexistent lips. “Good to see you again, General.”

“How was your mission?” Leia inquired.

“Well, we survived,” Shriv said laconically. “But I did get a rash in an unmentionable place that still hasn’t cleared. Don’t suppose you have some kind of cream for that?”

Leia gave him a grave look. “I’m sure someone in medical can fix you up.”

“And I could use a nap. And some food. I hear they’ve got fruit here. And meat. Is it true, or did we arrive too late for all the good stuff?”

“The Twi’leks have been very generous. There’s plenty to go around.”

“Sweet!” Shriv rubbed at his face and stifled a yawn that threatened to crack his jaw. “Then I’ll excuse myself. I really got to fix up this rash.”

“Did you find anyone, Zay?” Leia asked once Shriv had wandered off.

The young girl nodded. “Over at the civilian transport. I think you’ll be pleased.”

They made their way over, Zay filling in with small talk about her and Shriv’s mission. “We looked everywhere,” she said, sounding exasperated. “Most of the leads were dead ends and some of the people we were trying to find were . . . well, they were dead. More dead people on our list than alive.” Zay’s face clouded over. “And a handful that have just disappeared. One day they’re going about their own business and the next they don’t show up for work. Their families have no idea where they are, the authorities won’t take it seriously and say they must have run off, but it doesn’t make sense.”

“Disappeared,” Poe chimed in, expression concerned. “Maz told me something similar.”

“What does it mean?” Zay asked.

“The First Order, most likely. If we know about these potential allies, so do they. They’re just getting to them first.”

They had reached the edge of the ramp to the transport shuttle. A motley group of people were gathered there. Leia spotted Charth’s two children moving among the crowd, offering hot towels and pouring pitchers of water into clay cups so the newcomers could refresh themselves. There was a low hum of chatter among the group that broke off as Leia approached.

A man separated from the small crowd, and Leia’s brows raised in disbelief.

“This is—” Zay began.

“I know who this is,” Leia murmured. “General Rieekan.”

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...usses-her-journey-into-a-galaxy-far-far-away/

What is your first Star Wars memory?
    I remember playing with my older brother’s action figures. I built space stations out of Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs. I made leaf boats and would float Luke, Han and Leia down the gutters during rainstorms to fight earthworms. I created elaborate backstories and terrible tragedies for them to live out. I honestly can’t remember the first movie I saw, but I remember playing my version of Star Wars since forever.

What’s your background with the Star Wars Expanded Universe of books, comics, and games? Do you have a favorite EU novel?
    Before I landed this project, I hadn’t spent a lot of time in the EU, but now I feel fairly steeped in it. My favorite novel is a tie between Bloodline and Battlefront: Twilight Company. I’m also a fan of the Poe comics and a lot of the narrative in the Battlefront game. All are such a rich addition to the core story.

You have a kid—how big of a deal is Star Wars in your house? Who is the bigger fan?
    I am the bigger fan. She thinks I’m a big nerd (and she’s right!) but I also saw her paying very close attention to Rey on a recent The Last Jedi rewatch. I have no doubt she’s come around.

How did this opportunity come about for you?
    A little bit of luck, a little social media, and a lot of good will. I talked on Twitter and in other places about Indigenous influences in Star Wars and how I wanted to see an Indigenous author working in Star Wars.

My editor at Saga saw that and mentioned it to the editor at Lucasfilm. The team at Lucasfilm and Del Rey were familiar with my work, coming off the Nebula and Hugo wins last year. They asked if I was available and I pretty much dropped everything to say yes. And here we are.

I’m interested to know about the security involved: How much did you learn about the new film? What parts of your soul did you have to sign away to learn it?
    My whole soul. Just kidding, I know nothing.

You kept the fact of the book’s existence secret until it was already written—was that difficult to keep to yourself?

Publishing is an exercise in keeping secrets, but this one did hurt. It continues to hurt. I cannot wait for the novel to be out in the world and really hope people love it as much as I loved writing it.

Did working on this book change your relationship with the franchise at all?
    Oh yes. I fell all that more deeply in love, especially with characters like Poe and some I cannot mention. Getting to spend time in their heads made them all the more real and their challenges and tragedies all the more painful. I am very attached to their fates now, even beyond my book.

Without spoiling anything, can you give readers a sense of what to expect from Resistance Reborn?

You will see all the familiar Resistance faces like Poe, Finn, Leia and Rey, and a lot of others, both brand new and old favorites. You’ll visit Ryloth and Corellia and some very interesting and strange corners of the galaxy. You will hopefully laugh and definitely cry. And above all, you’ll be ready for Rise of Skywalker!

Dawud786 and KerkKorpil like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sugar me.

This is Luceno level. I’m in awe.

Carp me.

Revanfan1, Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Someone said they saw a pic of Old Wedge on the cover of this book too but I am not 100% positive of the accurecy on that rumor

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I'm unlikely to go with anything in relation to Ben Solo but there's more than enough in those extracts to outweigh it neatly.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah this is looking great

Wedge, Zay Versio, Shriv, and I really like the R2-D2 and Leia conversation from the excerpt.

12. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    The "this is Luceno level" made me chuckle.

13. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Here’s hoping wedge turns up in TROS and doesn’t get killed in this book!
    Denis certainly seemed keen To return back in 2017.

Revanfan1 and Avilos like this.
  14. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    That is a wonderful video. Never seen it before. Nice to see his version of his advice towards Ewan on Star Wars. It’s easy for young actors to get tied to a role for the rest of their lives. Ewan is so versatile an actor he has been able to do any type of role.

Would not surprise me if Denis Lawson meeting fans changed his perspective on Star Wars. I can understand why for many years he saw his contributions to the films as minor. A few days of little to do. But meeting fans one on one can be a create a real change on that. I heard that happen with many actors. That they first did conventions for the money and later found it very touching. Live theatre you have real time reactions to you work. But there is none of that in movies or television. Removed from your audience. Instead big stars get intrusive violation of their private lives by stalker fans and the paparazzi. While cons, well organized ones, can be very nice connections between actors and fans.

I really hope he is back as Wedge. Even a “cameo”. If you think about it his role was always was cameo.

Dawud786, Jedi Ben and PimpBacca like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I am an unabashed lover of The Unifying Prophecy, kind sir, let alone Darth Plagueis or Tarkin or etc etc. On rereading Millennium Falcon, I enjoyed it a great deal more as connective tissue between the Prequels and Legacy Era.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Is that like a shipping portmanteau for The Final Prophecy and The Unifying Force? :p

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Apparently Matt Martin said during the Rise of Skywalker panel that the Post TLJ Pre TROS period is one of most coordinated periods of the timeline so far.

Revanfan1, Sinrebirth and Wrinty like this.
  19. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

Reminds me of this scene from The Screaming Citadel and the fuel for shippers it provided. :p

[​IMG]

I forgot it was basically called a 'space cravat' lol.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It may not be the multimedia project of the early 2000's but it's definitely a mini-version of it. Especially since who knows how TROS will handle the end of the FO-Resistance war.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2019
    indydefense likes this.
  21. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    While I was reading the various experts that you all posted, I kid you not, I was listening to "I'm so excited" because that's how hyped I am for this book. I can't wait for November!

22. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

IG: @jedisufism

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Starting to wonder if this will be Destiny's Way to RoS' The Unifying Force.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It’s certainly looking like it could be that.

I’ve not been so hyped for a book in such a long time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I need context because I wasn't around for the NJO times....Well I was alive but wasn't into Star Wars books at the time. I know what you mean by The Unifying Force because of what you told me but how did Destiny Way contribute to NJO's overall success.