main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Moving Target by Cecil Castellucci and Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

UK prices get set with regard to the UK market price for comparable products, and same for the US pricing in that market. If one looks cheap or expensive with regard to the other at a particular point in time, that will tend to have more to do with the $:£ exchange rate at than point than it will to piss-taking.

2. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    All of these books are at my college bookstore. Gonna go back to it tomorrow to read the prologues and epilogues for each one. Love the art in those books though.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll split this off into three threads on Thursday.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014

Well the paperbacks are £6 each on Speedyhen at the moment which is more tempting to me. On Amazon the hardbacks are 8 quid but they look a bit more reasonable on that Wordery website. I've never used them but it seems to make sense to pay a pound less for what is essentially the same book.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  5. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Back cover of Weapon of a Jedi (SPOILERS!)

[​IMG]

Look familiar?

Sarco Plank [​IMG]

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    *whistles*

Y'know, for a minute there I was thinking about reading Leia's first. But now?

Taalcon likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You know what I find interesting? This is an imperial and he might be the first of the Knights of Ren. Maybe Vader or Palpatine did found them.

8. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

ST characters and ideas popping into our OT narrative like
    [​IMG]

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'd spoiler-tag that if I were you.

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Sure, but is not that comment literally the general advertised premise of the "Journey To Star Wars: The Force Awakens" series?

CooperTFN likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. It's a back cover so it's not strictly spoilers but since we're still in pre-release lets keep using the tags just in case.

I'm not changing my reading order :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I was kind of assuming the "present-day" material was the extent of the TFA influence, but fair point.

13. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Is there any sniff of an audiobook for these? Or For that matter Lost Stars, or the other trilogy of YA OT books?

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I suspect that connection may be less dramatic than some of you think - they're probably just members of the same species.

15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well this is going to be an interesting book to read.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TFA might flop but at least the NEU books leading up to it will be entertaining. Or look to be entertaining right now anyway.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    o_O

18. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Based on the glance I was able to take, the Leia one seems
    the closest linked to TFA (based on the framing story bits).

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It will be controversial to say the least. I think I will like it but if by some stroke of fate or something, I don't like it, at least the NEU books and comics will keep me entertained. Even then, Episodes 8 and 9 might change my mind on TFA.

20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It could happen. You'd need a solar flare to take out the power grid, or something along those lines, but mathematically speaking there's a chance.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, there's kind of two things here--it may well be a universally hated piece of cinema, but "flop" suggests "fail financially"--and that **** ain't happening.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If that's so, how come the RRP only ever goes up?

Except for the hardback binding, greater durability which is why I see the hardback option, if you can get a good deal, as being the better - though, to be fair there's not much in it!

It's good both formats are available as then people can go with their preferences.

23. iucounu

Jul 28, 2014
    Inflation, basically. The market rate for paperback novels in the UK goes up by a pound every five or ten years or so, and it's a similar story in the US. Things tend to get more expensive over time.

The pound is strong against the dollar at the moment, so US imports will feel cheap if you compare them to buying in the UK.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but that's not what I'm getting at, conversion rates vary, right now we're in a low inflation / deflation period so RRP should be reduced to reflect it but won't be. Years back, when I was buyingmonthies, this irritated the guy who ran my local comic shop, Diamond would increase the £-$ rate citing conversion rate being higher, but wouldn't decrease it when it lowered.

Ultimately, I don't really care except when there are blocks placed on a bookseller acquiring and selling at lower price a US edition and that has happened on DHC trades. Titan would grab the UK contract and sling a RRP £14.99 sticker when the $ price was noticeably lower.

25. iucounu

Jul 28, 2014

Oh, sure, the RRP is basically just there to calculate the retailer discount off. Since we lost the Net Book Agreement, retailers can sell books for whatever price they like; you look at the ASP (average selling price) more than the RRP if you're analysing sales.

We're in a low inflation period at the moment (PQE! Vote Corbyn!) but you're right, I've never seen book RRPs decrease, only gradually increase over my lifetime. That said, publisher profit margins as expressed in book profit and loss statements seem to have somewhat decreased during my decade or so in publishing, so there's clearly a whole bunch of stuff going on.