main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to The Last Jedi - The Rebel Files by Daniel Wallace (Canon too!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 17, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    This guy filmed a pretty good overview of the book, for those curious about what the fancy goodies are:

JediBatman likes this.
  2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Are the "5 removable replica documents" only for the Deluxe version, or will they be in the "book only" version as well?

3. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    So, what, no Raddus or Ski-Speeder teases? They were around during the GCW era, or are they simply focusing on the Pre-Endor Rebel era? Geez, talk about lazy. Either that or they're trying way too hard to keep focus off spoilers, it comes out in less than a month....

4. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Originally we’d planned on a Crait section that would discuss the ski-speeders, but most of it got cut due to spoiler sensitivity.

I know that sounds silly now that we’ve all seen the trailers and the LEGO sets and the Star Tours ride, but these conversations were taking place a year ago back when things were more in flux. No one wanted to greenlight something that might end up breaking something else.

Mon Mothma’s Declaration of Censure for Saw Gerrera’s Partisans was one of the things I wrote to fill the space created by the trimming of the Crait content.

5. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    TBD. One of the removeables is a sheet that explains how this Rebel Alliance book ended up in the hands of the Resistance; that will definitely be reprinted in the trade edition because it’s an essential bit of setup. The other items I’m not sure yet, but they’re more “extras” anyway.

JediBatman likes this.
  6. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Hmmmm. Guess there's more to those scrawny little things that meet the eye....

I don't suppose, as long as you're reading this, can you at least give the formal designations of the Ski Speeders and the ships making up the Resistance fleet from the trailer like the Raddus or are we gonna have to wait for the Incredible Cross Section? (i.e., B/SF-17 Heavy bombers, T-75 X-Wings, etc.)

7. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    From the latest SW Insider: the ski speeders are formally known as Roche Machines V-4X-D Ski-Speeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I hope the strut isn't *intended* to drag on the ground, despite the name, because that that seems more destabilizing than anything

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I don't think Dan is the sort of guy to spoil other peoples works in advance of their publication. Furthermore, it isn't polite to ask VIP's to do so. It's one of the unspoken but generally accepted rules of this forum. ;)

For all of you on the fence about getting this guide in the Deluxe version or the standard, it really depends on whether you want the cool display case it comes in. I'm not gonna lie, it is a beautifully packaged book and the case itself looks like it could be used for cosplayers as a prop.

As for the other inserts, like Dan said they are cool but not essential to the enjoyment of the book. The book itself is the real prize! :D

--Adm. Nick

JediBatman and Daneira like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll probably just get the book when it comes out next year. I did get the deluxe version of the Bounty Hunter Guide (pretty good but also pretty large) but waited on the other guides for just the books.

11. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    *Sighs* Yeah, I figured. it was worth a shot.....Please excuse my impertinence, but this waiting is killing me.

I'm going after the tiniest scrapes of news like an addictive drug...

12. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Where can you buy, or pre-order, this fine looking book please?

13. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    There’s a backstory for the ski-speeders in Cross Sections that’s logical & fun.

My opinion on Star Wars design is that practical considerations should never take precedence over the Rule of Cool. You could design a more effective land vehicle than an AT-AT, but then it wouldn’t be an AT-AT and we’d be in a completely different type of sci-fi universe.

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Looking forward to it! I wouldn't want to spend the whole time wondering what would happen if the ski snagged on a rock.

15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    So, realism vs. verisimilitude?

16. Angry Warlock

Angry Warlock Jedi Padawan

Jul 5, 2016
    OK, Im reaching for my dictionary right now.....

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally got a chance to read this, with my post-holiday mail delivery! What a ride. I think this is probably the best book in this series, and that says something.

I think the book benefitted from two things: 1.) the scrapbook aspect. The whole series purports to be IU found documents, but the scrapbooky feel allows for multiple perspectives that, say, the Imperial Handbook wouldn't 2.) the "history of the Rebellion" conceit let this book weave together a heck of a lot, tying together a lot of the new canon in a way that we're used to from EU-style lorebooks, but still having a story focus.

It was as specific as it needed to be. And it had a ton of references, from Legends to canon.

Things I enjoyed in particular:

1. The excerpts from the GalaxyWide NewsNets (plus HNN plus some others). TriNebulon and Cynabar make a return (with cool logo art!), we get Bormea Daily, a COMPNOR press release, and Aftermath's "Queen of the Core" shows up too. My very favorite NetNet, Coruscant Daily Newsfeed doesn't appear, but it almost looks like Queen of the Core occupies a similar slot as the Imperial capital's high society news source (judging by the Imperial City dateline, reporting on the Grand Vizier's comments, and Holdo dismissing it as gossip). I'll take it. Cool logo, too.

It later reports on the New Republic but y'know... so did Coruscant Daily Newsfeed so I guess I just have to live with it.

2. The Eye of Palpatine reference. Yes, folks. There's a reference to Imperial asteroid dreadnoughts and Alliance intel's inability to confirm they exist. There's also some art of what it looks like. I literally cannot believe that this is in the book. There's also art of a torpedo sphere, and a couple of other superweapon references that the Alliance can't confirm actually exist.

3. Leia and Mothma's signatures and handwriting matching those from WEG. This isn't the first book in this series where we've gotten this, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

4. Mon Mothma is sort of the dual protagonist of this story, along with the archivist character (Hendri Underholt, a woman of color who features in several illustrations and is also an aide to Mothma). You hear a lot of Mothma's thoughts on the events of the GCW and the big moments of the Alliance, along with her correspondence to key figures.

5. The art. Instead of just reusing movie stills, there's a ton of original art. I particularly like the art in the dossier pages -- Alliance High Command, different resistance cells the Alliance can fuse with, etc.

6. Oh, Bail Organa gets a title at last: Secretary of the Cabinet.

7. A ton of stuff on the Imperial Senate and the political aspects of the Rebellion, including great use of the Alliance cabinet senators seen in Rogue One. I'm very glad that the political aspects weren't left out of this book.

8. Poe fanboying over Wedge in the comments. Great stuff.

9. Holdo and Leia's comments in general.

10. Ackbar referring to a small fleet as a "school." I love Ackbarisms.

11. Anything and everything Coruscant-related, from the aforementioned Queen of the Core stuff to Moff Jerjerrod's profile mentioning his membership in the "Taung and Zhell Society (University of Coruscant).

This list is not remotely exhaustive. The book is super fun and cohesive.

HAH, I love this. Nick and I have discussed Mon Cola's fate often -- Legends style democracy or TCW style monarchy, and given all the Churchillian analogies the royalist take works well. The WWII analogies are just right there waiting for us.

18. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Good stuff here!

I'm an enormous fan of the "GalaxyWide NewsNets" conceit. For those who don't know, this was a recurring feature that ran in the Star Wars Adventure Journal: a trade paperback periodical from the '90s that was devoted to the original Star Wars Roleplaying Game. (The SWAJ is one of my favorite Star Wars-related things of all time, and issue #7 is just straight-up legendary.) I got one of my short stories published in issue #15 just before the publisher went bankrupt.

Anyway, GalaxyWide NewsNets was an in-universe news feed which recapped headlines from across the galaxy. Sometimes these were from Imperial-leaning sources, sometimes from underworld-leaning sources, and sometimes from silly gossip rags. It was created by Paul Sudlow and remains one of the best things ever created in the SWEU in my opinion. Several years later, Pablo Hidalgo continued the tradition by publishing a new version (HoloNet News) that ran on starwars.com during the lead-up to Attack of the Clones. I don't know if that content is still extant but I hope to god it is since every word of it is pure gold.

I was absurdly happy when I got the chance to write a single installment in this meta-series--set after Revenge of the Sith and titled Imperial Holovision--back in 2005's Star Wars Insider #84.

The Eye of Palpatine is definitely one of those Easter Egg moments (see also: Omega Frost), but I was careful to cast it as "hey, we've heard rumors that the Empire is up to some crazy stuff out there" and not as an actual, verifiable project that was deployed in canon. The book's in-universe, real-time narrative gives a lot of leeway for things like this.

Probably obvious, but this is a nod to the Skull and Bones secret society at Yale, of which George W. Bush is a notable alumni. Jerjerrod seemed like that kind of guy.

I'm glad you pointed this out, since my favorite part of writing the book was the unifying narrative of Mon Mothma's struggles and Hendri Underholt's growing confidence. I put more sweat into figuring out what these two would say to each other than I did on any other part of the book.

19. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally, the powerful Secretary of the Cabinet gets some love! That's a reference I can't believe no one has touched until now.

My copy doesn't ship until Friday, so I probably won't see it until next week. I honestly can't wait based on these spoilers.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    100% agreed with all of the above. I'm not to issue 15 in my SWAJ reading project yet (I'm way behind) but I'll keep an eye out for it.

It survived an absurdly long time but it went down around the time of the Disney sale. :( Wookieepedia pages have links to the archive.org version of pages where some content is retained. I hope someone did a proper offline archive of it somewhere -- I wish I'd thought of doing it but I always figured it would sort of be there.

IHV! Another NewsNets survivor.

Yes, it's a great callback for those to whom it matters and it doesn't hurt anything for those who don't. I think the language is clearly ambiguous (lol) enough to avoid any clickbait "Eye of Palpatine is canon" nonsense headlines from spawning, although you never know...

Hm, never thought of it like that but the Bushes are a good fit for Jerjerrod. Unimaginative establishment guy, content to go with the status quo, maybe might end up a little uncomfortable with Palpatine's order to blow up the planet with Imperial troops still on it... seems to work. Definitely the opposite of Tarkin, which was what the old EU had going for him.

Mon Mothma's relationship with her advisors/aides is another ongoing theme of the new canon. We see it in the Aftermath books, in FACPOV, and now in Rebel Files. It's a way for her to get out her ideas and try them out, and also solicit honest feedback she might not be able to get from her political equals. It worked out really well here.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As far as I'm aware, the Internet Archive pages have saved pretty much all of HNN, except possibly for a few images. But I think it was up long enough to get them too, actually.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it's mostly the images I would be worried about. I figured the archive would've grabbed the text for sure.

But good, good.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's not an exaggeration to say how spot on Mon Mothma was written by Dan in this book. Every time I re-read a section with her as a focus, I am struck by how immensely committed, deep, and devoted she is to the cause. She's a leader who knows she is powerful, but one who take so many steps to ensure she doesn't appear like the enemy she is intent to take down. Her trust of Leia, of her aides, and her top military commanders like Ackbar and Cracken is apparent. Many of us have long known there was a tremendous depth to Mon Mothma, Dan hits this perfectly.

I'll add- her address to Alliance forces pre-Endor is perfect. It's impossible to not read it and here is in Caroline Blakiston or Genevieve O'Reilly. =D=^:)^

--Adm. Nick

24. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Where is everyone getting this book from? which stores (UK & otherwise)? Sites?

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I purchased mine on Amazon.com. That was for the US site, not sure about overseas.

--Adm. Nick