main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics JTTLJ: The Legends of Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 14, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Is it any good? I've added it to the Amazon UK list.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't know how I feel about manga adaptions of novels that I already have...

... I don't buy more than one version of a product as a rule for my bookcase...

Hm.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll probably get this. I recently got a two-volume manga adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. I had the story already in book and Kindle Lovecraft collections.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The manga's pretty good, at least at visualizing the stories -- which I suppose is the point of it. The exogorth story felt particularly emotional, and it was fun to see a few of these ideas visualized. Luke-as-C-3PO was great, and the Lugubrious Mote story was suitably cartoonish and stylized.

DarthJaceus, Wrinty and LAJ_FETT like this.
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    But was Luke at Jakku?

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    We are all Luke Skywalker at Jakku.

Daneira likes this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The Exogorth story was always one of my favorites from the book. It was really nice to read the manga. The weavers of the Luminous Mist are pretty awesome, and I like that they call Luke "Bright Heart."

IG: @jedisufism

DarthJaceus likes this.
  8. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    I still suspect the scavenger character at Jakku was actually Lor San Tekka, and not Luke. But that's just my opinion, currently.

9. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Been reading it.

It's rarely -if ever- explained how Luke arrived at those places.

Take Lew'el. This Flux woman knows the Aya story, but she doesn't seem to be Aya. And Aya is not present when Luke and Aya's grandma talk. How did Flux know? Did she arrive on the planet after Luke left and talked to grandma and/or Aya? Flux' 'I am Change' at the end sound ominous - looks like she will probably arrive at whatever place Luke arrives before her.

Did Palpatine want Luke, and others, in Lew'el? She had survived ROTJ and, apparently, was behind some ugly moments during Leia's pregnancy (Aftermath novels)

Weird, but Rey seems to be a part of it too. That talk about the Tide...'it could shift the tide', Rey says in TLJ. Rey knows how to swim after having been on Jakku since she was 5-6. Her and that sea skiff in TROS, again out of nowhere. This book and TLJ overlapped (final months of 2017 - Snoke, the audience was told, had trained at least one other apprentice)

That 'deluge' in the title is maybe not innocent and has a mythological meaning. The lew'elians were refugees from some kind of cataclismic war, thousands of years ago -thousands of worlds being destroyed.
    What was that about Palpatine's 'it is your birthright to rule here. It is in your blood, our blood'? That throne was thousands of years old. Had Palpatine discovered something about his own lineage?

The mizzlewump leak (2013) had a 'loredump': the sith had been founded by Ruin, an ancestor of Palpatine, 2000 years ago. Presumably, those ideas came from Lucas. This is the Plagueis novel, supervised by him:
    'Nothing will stop the return of the sith'. Palpatine calls Exegol 'home', Rey's home. Cosinga Palpatine to his son, our Palpatine(Plagueis novel again):
    I mean, just as you make a character a scavenger or a farmboy in order for his/her arc to be ample enough (scavenger>jedi), the same could be true when it came to her backstory and/or back-backstory. You displace its origins far away both in space and in time.

If Rey was 'all the jedi' and 'a thousand generations' lived in her then Lew'el, the ignored and isolated planet with an ancestral FS family in it (the first we know of, Skywalkers aside) would allow for the ample (back)backstory possible.

Also, fishing in the deluge. Jesus was a fisher of men, and Aya was 'fished' (she tells Luke about leaving her planet and explore the force), but maybe Luke himself was already being fished in the deluge too. According to PH:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Picked up the manga recently and just got around to reading it. Definitely fun, with some great visuals. It was cool seeing Akira Himekawa's take on SW, and in general Big Inside was my favorite of the stories as well. It's funny, these are "legends" of Luke, but the one thing that's consistent between all of them isn't great feats of strength or crazy Force powers, but a depiction of just how hopeful and caring Luke could be. Really hammers home that Luke is the "big good" of the saga.

Jedi Ben and Dawud786 like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I really enjoyed this - the JG Jones chapter paintings, Liu's writing. It kind of got entirely eclipsed by TLJ.