main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jumanji (The Next Level)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Aug 6, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched the original last night, it's pretty fun in a "turned up to 11 and screaming" sort of way with a nice mix of early CGI and practical effects. The same actor for the hunter as the dad is a nice touch. (great actor who was on The Strain years later as Elrich Palmer / The Master although my brain kept saying F. Murray Abraham). Also, hey, time travel!

Although I think I found a plot logic flaw at the end. Hunter shoots at Robin Williams character Alan but the bullet devolves /gets sucked back into the game (great visual, good timing to the sequence), everything from the game is sucked into the board, everybody wins yay. But the bullet the hunter shot was from a gun he bought in the real world (the hunter comes out with his rifle and then about halfway through he pulls a T-800 and upgrades his ammo from a gun shop). So that means the Hunter's gun / bullet wasn't part of the Jumanji game. so it should have ended with a bullet going through Alan's forehead is what I'm saying. Instead of the bullet / gun disappearing.

Although I DID just google and found these answers which are decent:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/que...elts-gun-go-up-in-smoke-at-the-end-of-jumanji

The Jumanji game we see in the movie was started in 1969. From the beginning to the end of the game, everything that happens is a mere illusion generated by the game itself.

Now, Allan “disappears” for 26 years, until 1995. Everything that happens during these years, as realistic as they may seem at first, are still part of the game, including Van Pelt's new modern rifle. So, when the game is won everything created by it is reset with the smoke effect, including the rifle.

OR

The gun vanished not because the game generated it, but because Van Pelt brought it there, brought the bullet there, fired the bullet there. All consequences of the game were reversed, and if Van Pelt was never there, than neither was the bullet or the gun.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Jedi Daniel likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The new version of the game would likely be some kinda DLC, if I were to hazard a guess. Agreed about the same avatars.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like the new addition to the casts, and thus the refreshing twist.

4. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Danny Glover and Danny Devito...

Oh my...

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love the idea that new kids jump in and play as the same characters. That must be so much fun for the cast, because they now get to ostensibly play completely different characters.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I did not expect that, fun to see that Karen Gillian's Ruby Roundhouse is the only one who has it together. Slight demerit points that they can do a whole bunch of "oh my god what is happening!" jokes yet again but the DeVitto / Glover being the templates for the performance is pretty great. I wonder what happened to the kids who got sucked into the game and didn't land in their game character again.

7. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    That will be revealed I'm sure. I must admit though rewatching the trailer over and over it gets funnier every time.

8. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I was a fan of the 2016 Jumanji, though not to the level that everyone else seemed to love it. That being said, I'd gladly watch anything else in the series. The cast is fantastic.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't love it, but it was dumb fun. It'll be decent counter programming to TROS.

10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I dunno. It could rival, or even surpass TRoS honestly. TRoS might end up counter programming to Jumanji!

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We'll see which movie has better legs. But in the short term, TROS will take all premium screens away from Jumanji when it opens