main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think new characters should be used. How many times can you convince Grant or Malcolm to go back to the islands again?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

The book explains that Nedry deliberately designed the system to be riddled with errors and his general hacking was considerably expanded upon; he had a "backdoor" program that linked the fences and security doors and turned them both off. IIRC, in the novel the guards did see Nedry, albeit not in the cryo room; they saw him take a jeep and apparently being stupid didn't bother telling anybody.

Muldoon had a considerably expanded storyline in the novel; after recovering the remains from the T-Rex attack, he took charge of the Costa Rican workers and got to work repairing the fences, and also tracked and tranquilized the Tyrannosaur eventually.

They actually had chemical weapons in the book; nerve gas grenades and protective masks, although I prefer not thinking about the military aspects of the novel. You can tell Crichton has no idea what the hell he's talking about; it takes alot more than a gas mask to protect a person from the effects of just about any nerve agent.

The book went from T-Rex breaking out to "raptors chasing everybody" considerably more slowly; iirc there's about a day in between the two events.

Probably not, but maybe as a scientific research thing? With the animals simply roaming around free in apparently a more or less stable ecosystem, there's no need for the massive expenses a zoo would incur; you could take X group of scientists out to the island for comparatively little money.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really care about continuity at this point.

I also thought that it could be inland as someone else mentioned, perhaps in a game reserve, but I'm not sure what country would go for it.

Having it inland would allow everything to be bigger. More dinosaurs, more space for them, more attractions, more customers, etc, it could be quite the spectacle (spared no expense). I'm not sure if bigger is better in this cinematic situation, though.

Having a successful park would also allow the return of Mr DNA, my favorite character from the series.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And of course it allows for more chaos when the Dinos escape into a populated mainland region, as was shown in TLW.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    If I'm making JP IV, I use James Cameron's Aliens as my blueprint. All the rumors about potential ideas seem to be more action oriented. Have a thriller with hunters or soldiers going to take out the Dinsosaurs

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    JP1 good, JP2 bad, JP3 good. If they make a JP4 I'll probably go see it. I thought I saw the word "reboot" in there. UGH.

As far as T-Rex vs Spino goes, it's not like T-Rex was this unbeatable thing all the time. However, in this case, I think the reason this happened had to do with Jack Horner being the science go to guy for the film. He HATES T-Rex, calling it nothing more than a weak scavenger. I wold say too though that perhaps SS thought the audience might be a bit tired of T-Rex for a third film villain(but not raptors?)

Most of the community in paleontology says T-rex is a predator, Horner says it is nothing but a scavenger. Both camps then point out how it is built. Horner shows you scavenger parts, everyone else shows you predator parts. This leads me to believe it was literally built like both(scavengers do not really have predator parts, predators do not have scavenger parts, but anythig can scavenge).

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It easily has the power to kill things, so why would it just scavenge? I'm sure if it came across a dead Dino it would consume it, but it must've been able to hunt given its size and power. If it could crush bone, had decent eyesight (contrary to what the JP movies say) and decent speed, why couldn't it attack things?
    I don't object to T-Rex not being the big-shot in a Dino movie, it stopped being the biggest baddest carnivore about 12 years ago. But if you want to have it pwned, put it up against something that really could destroy it like Carcharodontosaurus or Giganotosaurus. Spinosaurus might be the biggest of the bunch, but that does not make it the best or the toughest.

I think the idea of a Dino horror/thriller movie might be cool. You could have it done through the soldiers' helmet-cams or something like they did in REC 2.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Either Alien or Aliens. Maybe a group of soldiers get trapped in a bunker with a pack of Raptors or something.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    To be fair most modern terrestrial predators will eat carrion if it's available; no reason T-Rex couldn't do the same.

What I'd like to see is fairly cheesy, but it'd be cool: There's a theory that T-Rex was a pack hunter; the strongest basis was a find of Horner's actually, with five Rex skeletons all closely associated with eachother in the strata. They had a family of Rexes in the second film, but iirc they only filmed them together for the trailer attack sequence.

I mean, who wouldn't crap themselves when five tyrannosaurs come out of the woods :p

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    HAHAHAHAHA! Even if the plot was crap, I would pay money to see that movie.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Living, biological attractions that will capture the imaginations of the entire world.

This is why these films keep getting made: Dinosaurs are huge; their story of immense success followed by failure not of their own doing has a way of capturing human being's imaginations.

But yeah, a pack of Rexes would be pretty damn awesome. :D

12. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    They should just hire Turok, the Dinosaur hunter, and get the entire series over with. That guy was the Rambo of killing dinosaurs.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I think the point that some are missing is that scavengers can be vicious in combat.

Part of being a scavenger is taking what other predators have already killed. Finding an unclaimed carcass isn't going to happen too often, dead animals don't just fall from the sky.

Think about lions...a cheetah may have chased down that gazelle, but the lion is just going to stroll up and take that meal.

Smaller predators will avoid fighting bigger predators over a meal, because one meal isn't worth fighting (and probably dying) for.

Hyenas, jackals, bears, etc they all do it. Even vultures pester smaller predators until the predator gives up and goes away.

So even if the Tyrannosaurus was a scavenger, a scavenger can still take your lunch money.

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Agreed, that is really the only way to make JP4 worthwhile. It has to be a story that centers on Malcom & Grant.

It is practically a Hollywood cliche right now, but why not reboot the franchise with a prequel? I'm just shooting ideas out there but JP3 was a complete disaster that ruined the franchise (the difficulty is moving forward from it.) The prequel would be about a young Hammond and the creation of the Island. Clearly there would have to be an early disaster and a subsequent cover up. Consistent with JP and TLW, there would also have to be a struggle between capitalism/creation and conservation/nature. A prequel with a younger Hammond and whoever his ideological rival was at the time could be interesting.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That would probably necessitate a mainland setting- Malcolm emphatically didn't want to go back in TLW (and was saying he'd actively try to dissuade anyone else who was going). If his girlfriend hadn't gone there already (and I doubt they'd duplicate that scenario) he would never have gone and I don't see his experiences in TLW having changed his mind.

Grant also wouldn't go back- he had to be tricked last time.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    There's probably enough backstory given in the Lost World novel to base a prequel off of; the DX (?) prion virus and subsequent release of the Isla Sorna animals into the wild.

17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I need to re-read the Lost World novel. I remember having begun it but never finishing it (not sure why because I loved the first book.) A Hammond prequel might be their best bet. It might be the only new story to tell.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Offhand I'd agree, unless they get it in their heads to "commemorate the late author" by doing faithful (not necessarily better :p) adaptations of the novels.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Spielberg on JP4

In regards to the dinosaurs, Spielberg says "The screenplay is being written right now by Mark Protosevich. I'm hoping that will come out in the next couple of years. We have a good story. We have a better story for four than we had for three."

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    For the last time, Three was fine; Two was the one that sucked. Now even Spielberg's confused about that.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Three's script was literally written on the set, and it noticably suffered. Outside of 4 seconds of gymnastics, two was awesome. :D

anguirus2003 likes this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed.

Jurassic Park=genre masterpiece

The Lost World=fun romp with dinossaurs

Jurassic Park=please God, make it stop

23. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Agreed. I love the first Jurassic Park, it's awesome. The second Jurassic Park is terrible. It's both boring and ridiculous. The amount of stupid on the screen approaches Michael Bay status, and there isn't a single action sequence that's memorable for being good. Jurassic Park 3 wasn't a good movie, but it was almost as entertaining as the first film in the series.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The cliff sequence is generally regarded as pretty excellent- it certainly is the highlight of the film.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    My first reaction was, "what cliff sequence?":p

Then I remembered when they hid in the waterfall and the T-Rex poked its head in.

Then I remembered the trailers being push over the edge of the cliff by mom and dad dino.

Yes, that was an excellent sequence, a classic JP moment. In fact, you could tell me that was a cut scene adapted from JP1 and I'd totally believe it.