main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Just rewatched the prequels over the last few days ...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheCowboyBuilder, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of people whose only real knowledge of the prequels comes from spouting the memes ad nauseum film themselves coming to the realization that there was some actual thought put into them because a guy who made a show they liked spoon-fed them the interpretation they could have just arrived to on their own had they actually given them a chance.

BLemelisk, DBPirate, Kronin and 3 others like this.
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Putting those in this topic, since it was suggested we don't talk about the prequels in the other thread.

The fact that some Jedi has lost their way, does not prove that Jedi were arrogant as a whole. Most of them were not. Case closed.

The Jedi Order did not believe that Ahsoka was guilty, only a few Jedi that were responsible for her trial believed so. Which happened during the most stressful times of the Clone Wars. In the middle of the Jedi having to deal with the largest crisis of the galaxy. The vast majority of the Jedi were trying to save the galaxy and end the war, not determine Ahsoka's fate. That was left up to a few Jedi, and they just got it wrong at first. Until new evidence was revealed. How does that prove any kind of arrogance? TLJ can comment on anything anyway it wants, I don't take that movie seriously anyway, for me it's just expensive fan fiction.

On topic, I have come across many people who criticize the prequels without ever having seen them, or paid attention to them. They have all come around. Which I knew would happen of course. If a movie has a great story, then it can stand the test of time, and the prequels have. Every time I watch them they are better for me. Now we have many polls in which ROTS seems to be a lot people's favorite SW film ever, over the originals. This would have been absurd 10 years ago. And yet, it happens. As far as I am concerned, the GL 6 films are a non-separated unity.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  3. Paleof

Paleof Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2019
    ROTS has always ranked highly in fan polls, although you are right that its reputation seems to be improving with time. Sadly the same reappraisal hasn't occurred for TPM and AOTC.

DBPirate and Deliveranze like this.
  4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    And yet, while I don't see a lot of people choosing TPM or AOTC as their favorite, or "the best" (whatever that means), the opinion of most people I know about all the prequels has shifted to a much more positive approach. I personally have loved all 3 movies since they came out, so no change here.

Kronin and Deliveranze like this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think in a nut shell if you took the whole PT and cut in in half then the last half is epic and spectacular but the first half not so much as you have Jar Jar and the worst of the bad acting and the first half of AOTC has the sloppy love story but as a whole the PT is still pretty dam good and is all written and directed by the maker......

6. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    Interesting thread. Having grown up on the OT, for the longest time I was quite disappointed in the PT, and didn't have any interest in rewatching or revisiting it. In my personal rankings, I always had AOTC dead last and TPM second-to-last.

I have recently started my first ever start-to-finish rewatch of the entire saga, wanting to see how my feelings about the movies might change. Just finished the PT a few days ago. My disappointment in TPM remains unchanged - I don't think I'll ever watch it start-to-finish again. But much to my surprise, I enjoyed AOTC much more than I remembered. Sure, the cringey dialogue is still there, and is still tough to sit through, but the rest of the film is actually rather engaging. In a funny (and kind of sad) way, the ST and its unfortunate dearth of coherent plots or story arcs makes the PT - flaws and all - better (and easier to appreciate) in retrospect. Watching AOTC this time, I kept noticing that I was commenting to myself, "Lucas is actually trying to tell a coherent story here." ROTS was about what I remembered - sharing much of the acting/dialogue shortcomings of the other PT films in general, but also including numerous highlights, especially (for me) the Yoda/Palpatine confrontation in the Senate.

Next is Solo, then R1 and the OT. And the ST to come. I'm uncertain to what extent my personal rankings will reshuffle after this experience. That's both exhilarating, and a little scary.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  7. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    In defense of irritated fans, most of the anger aimed toward Lucas was over his treatment of the Original Treatment as opposed to the PT. I think if Disney decided to start tinkering with the OT and PT to make it all fit better with the ST, you'd see that same sort of outrage.

Can you imagine Disney adding Snoke scene's into the PT and OT in order to make everything match better?

8. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I think you are misremembering history. The Special Editions were critiqued for the changes....yet, wildly popular for 20 year old re-releases. Google Phantom Menace fan response or Prequel backlash and you'll see what I mean. Han shot first was fans being irritated. The Phantom Menace has some fans claiming that Lucas "raped their childhood."

KyleKartan likes this.
  9. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    LOL...where did Lucas put in any major new character from the Prequels into the Originals? Most of the stuff added with the Special Editions were cosmetic additions like the new Battle of Yavin scenes, Mos Espa extended, a bigger Celebration at the end of Jedi. And some added scenes with already established characters (Jabba, extended music number in Ep VI...) Lucas didnt put Gunray or Dooku in the OT.

10. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    No, but Lucas did shoehorn in things from the PT like Coruscant, Naboo, Boga's yell in the DVD version of ANH (Obi-Wan's yell that scares off the Tusken Raiders) and a Dug in ROTJ. Lucas did add things to the OT to make them fit better with the PT. Again, imagine Disney adding Snoke into scene's with Palpatine in AOTC.

11. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    What?! You compare apples with oranges.

Move along...

12. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    I have a lot of problems with the PT - but, one thing I will always say is that while you can see changes made to the prequels as they went on (less and less Jar-Jar, for instance) it was the entire arc and vision from the man who created it. The ST not only thrust the story into another's hands, they chopped it up 3 times and there was no cohesion. Then the last bit got handed back to the director of the first bit, and the continuity became a mess and if you look any deeper than surface level it's clear there was no planned arc or story beyond TFA.

I think that, while I prefer TFA and TLJ as films to TPM and AOTC, by the time you get to the final film in each respective trilogy, ROTS just completely destroys TROS because of the story threads set up and the payoff.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Mainly because the PT had a finish line that Lucas was working toward. The people working on the ST had no idea where they were going. And although I don't much care for TLJ, it at least attempted to do its own thing. TFA was just ANH part 2: Electric Boogaloo and TROS was the worst remake of AVENGERS: ENDGAME I think we'll ever get.

14. darth yeet

darth yeet Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2020
    i like EP .III. it brings a lot more to the lore that people would not know anyway.