main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM: L.A. BASICS

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    No rental car for me either, Im taking a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel and thats it for me. Im either in the hotel sleeping or in the convention. No need for a car.

2. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    thats awesome, thanks for the info. the 3 main (non convention related of course) things i wanted to see were the theater, hollywood sign and the in and out burger. if im understanding you correctly, which i very well may not be, i can knock all three out within a relatively small travel zone.

p.s. anyone else want to get dinner at the in and out burger one night?

p.p.s is it a common thing for LA locals? i dont want to look like a freak taking pictures and grinning like a clown if they're as common as mcdonalds.

3. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Everybody around here has a camera. Nobody thinks anything about someone taking pictures. And don't forget, it's Hollywood -- you might be a location scout :).

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So, wait... is this an actual astronomical observatory, or just for seeing the city? How is the view of the sky from there? Probably light polluted as all heck, right?

5. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    The Griffith Observatory is a major scientific site, one of the finest planeteriums in the world, and recently underwent a $93 million renovation to once again make it a world class facility. Here is the website:

Griffith Observatory

My pal Lowbacca can fill you in on specifics of observation. It is truly an amazing place. I've always liked this image:

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/ValedaKor/griffith.jpg]

6. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    oh boy.. in and out burger.. Tucson got its first one last weekend.. what a craze.. I myself could care less I am not a fast food person by any means.. and all fast food is over the top and not worth eating in my unasked for opinion.. one burger is another burger.. I have been to In/Out Burger once in CA and Once in Phoenix and have not bothered in Tucson as of yet...please none of you in/out burger lovers hate me for saying that.. I know you are out there... anyway.. I digress.. in/out burger.. opens last weekend in Tucson.. actually something like ten days ago now.. the lines are still!!!!!.... up to two hours long to get through in order to order from them!! People are just In/OUt Burger obsessed in the West!!!!! I am sure you will look completely normal taking a photo of In/Out Burger :)

7. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Another thing about the Griffith Observatory: Obi-Shawn of H-Wing.Com fame designed a lot of the new exhibits there. Minor point, but it's a little connection between the place and the Fandom.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Missed that Griffith got asked about.

Aside from checking the site... some basic info

Griffith Observatory is a public astronomical observatory that opened in 1935 as a part of Griffith Park. We have 3 floors of exhibits, primarily about astronomy, but with a few general science extras like a Tesla coil that we've had for the last 70 years. We also have what is the largest astronomical photograph ever made, at roughly 20 feet tall and 140 feet long. We also have a 25 minute film about the observatory and astronomy in California hosted by Lenard Neimoy as well as a 25 minute presentation in our planetarium dome using what was at least a few months ago the most advanced planetarium projector in the world. The presentation itself is about how our perspective on our place in the universe has changed over the last several hundred years as we have learned more.
    Observationally, we do have some solar instruments that are open during the day. At night from 7 to 10, we have several telescopes, a 12 inch refracting telescope on top of the building has been there since 1935 and more people have looked through that telescope than any other telescope in the world. We also have a few reflecting telescopes set up outside on our front lawn. Its not the best seeing because we are perched right over L.A., but the point of the observatory wasn't dark skies (thats what the historic Mt Wilson observatory about 40 mi NE of LA is for) but to be accessable to the people of Los Angeles.
    Which does lead to that being situated on the hills above the L.A. basin does allow for a large view of the city, and you can see Santa Monica, Hollywood, downtown L.A., and under good conditions, Catalina Island and Long Beach. We're also just one mt away from the one that features the Hollywood sign.

And for the nerd appeal, we have a cafe called the Cafe at the End of the Universe.

9. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Okay, I'm wondering how close the Greyhound station is to the Convention Center. If I can't get a ride that may be my only option. [face_worried]

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    If you have to use Greyhound, the terminal is at 1716 East Seventh Street. You are two and a half miles from the convention center.

11. Sean_Walsh

Sean_Walsh Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    That's a really good store, nice to see it's still there (found it when I was out there in 2000).

It's very high-end - comics are there but they seem to specialize in graphic novels/TPBs and other comic-related merchandise. It's like a Suncoast Motion Picture Store - except instead of DVDs and movies, it's comics and TPBs. So basically heaven for folks like me. :)

And on-topic with this whole C4 thingy, they have a close working relationship with Dark Horse Comics, so I'm sure they'll be putting an extra spotlight on the books we care about. ;)

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Is there any place around the convention center where you can get photos printed at?

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Your best bet will probably be Kinko's - the closest full service store is at 12th and Hill, about three quarters of a mile from the convention center.

Edited to say the stupid link won't work, but here is info copied from the FedExKinko's website:

Los Angeles CA 12th at Hill
    1149 South Hill St
    Los Angeles, CA 90015
    USA
    Phone: (213) 746-6054
    Fax: (213) 746-6643
    Email: usa1759@fedexkinkos.com

0.78 miles

Sun Noon - 6:00 PM
    Mon 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
    Tue 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
    Wed 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
    Thu 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
    Fri 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
    Sat 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

MEMORIAL DAY HOLIDAY HOURS:
    May 27: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
    May 28 (Memorial Day): Closed
    May 29: 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM

ALTERNATE OPEN LOCATION ON MEMORIAL DAY:
    Distance (in mile): 5.3
    5500 Wilshire Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90036-3802
    (323) 937-0126
    May 28 (Memorial Day) Hours: Open 24 Hours

Here's a map, too: Kinko's map

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks! It's not a necessary item for me, but I thought it would be nice to know, just in case. But does the convention center business center do anything like that? It seems like there would be a demand for it at conventions in general. But they might also be pricey I guess.

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Hmmm... under their link at the LACC website, it says this:

"Services Provided:

? Coat and Baggage Check (fees may apply)
    ? Computer Workstations
    ? Conference Room Rentals
    ? Copying
    ? Faxing
    ? Internet Services
    ? Laminating
    ? Office Supplies
    ? Phone Cards available
    ? Professional Services
    ? Small Package Shipping & Receiving

We are conveniently located inside the Los Angeles Convention Center, Concourse Hall, 2nd level. Business Services Center lobby"

So it doesn't look like they do printing. They'll copy something for you, though.

16. ANAKINSKYWALKER26

ANAKINSKYWALKER26 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2007
    I'm heading straight 2 the beach.

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks for the Business Center list! Hmmmmm, no photos, but a lot other useful stuff. Hmmm, I didn't see prices, even on the brochure on their web page. Ah well, I suppose we will be paying for convenience.

18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Anyone aware of any stores that might carry other movie/ TV collectibles in Downtown or Hollywood? I'm looking for Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride toys by NECA, McFarlane and Jun Planning.

19. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    is there a size limit to the baggage check?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.