main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Just What Is A Parsec?????

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OBI-GYN_Kenobi, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    "Look, Geonosis is less then a parsec away."
    --Padme

2. OBI-GYN_Kenobi

OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    Exactly as I stated to start this.....

It's mentioned 3 times I believe in the 5 films.

It's 12, not 15 the first time?
    Well, it's been a while.
    With 3 kids on vacation & a foot or 2 of snow coming, I can see a Star Wars marathon coming up soon. :)

BTW, I know 'spice' is some sort of drug, but what are the details?

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Spice: A name given to a variety of drugs, in a particular the glitterstim spice mined underground on the planet Kessel. Spice is a highly taxed and controlled substance, although legal to use in most parts of the galaxy.

It is a popular commodity for smugglers because of its high profit margin. Spice has a number of legitimate uses in psychological therapy, criminal investigation, communication with alien races, and artistic inspiration and entertainment.

Mood altering glitterstim has a sharp, pleasant odor and can produce feelings of euphoria in those who use it. Other spices include ryll, carsunum, and andris.
    (From the Star Wars Encyclopedia)

4. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Dude, space is just funky around the Kessel run, which is why parsec, ordinarily used to measure distance, is used ta mesher time ther.

5. NmdWy2Cl

NmdWy2Cl Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2002
    Spice is smuggled out of the prison on Kessel by "Dirty" Imperials who can get top dollar for taking it, but the way the get it out is through secret tunnels deep in Kessel. Glitterstim if exposed to light must be taken right then for it to work. If Glitterstim is exposed to light and not taken it is worthless, and that is why it must be mined in total darkness.

6. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    Here is a more detailed look at astronomical distance.

1 AU (astronomical unit): 92,955,933 miles
    1 ly (light-year): 5,878,639,427,505 miles
    1 ly : 63,241.142757 AU's
    1 parsec: 206,264.555293 AU's
    1 parsec: 3.261556 ly's
    1 parsec: 19,173,514,177,205 miles

15 parsec: 287,602,712,658,076 miles
    or
    15 parsec: 48.923346 light-year's

Which means it will take you 48.923346 years to reach a destination 15 parsec's away traveling at the speed of light.

7. young_paddy1

young_paddy1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    An AU is the distance between Earth and the Sun.

Our sun is about 28,000 lightyears from the core of the milkyway, which is about 100,000 lightyears across.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Black holes are supposed to alter the space around them. By flying close to one or several sapce is altered to the point that the distance from one point to the other is shorter. That is how Han made the run in less than 12 parsecs...

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes, yes, to rumsmuggler you listen.

10. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Firstly, it's 12 parsecs ;)

Han wan't making an idle boast. The Kessel Run cuts near the Maw, a mass of black holes and neutron stars. Very dangerous place. When he made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, he cut dangerously close to the black holes, trimming the distance he travelled. Only the Falcon's sheer speed got him out of there alive. That's how Han Solo made the Kessel Run is under 12 parsecs.

11. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    *scratches head*

geez, folks; I thought it was just a bunch of mini-secs....... :) :D :D :D

12. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I wonder how they get around that whole "The faster you travel, the slower time passes" thing. [/color]

13. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    No, it's the faster you travel the less time you take. But, in this case, the superior speed of the Millennium Falcon allowed Han to skirt closer to the black holes, allowing him to take a shorter run through the Maw, and thus a faster time. ;)

14. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300] No, it's the faster you travel the less time you take.
    :confused:

I'm talking about the time dilation that takes place when taveling at high rates of speed. It's explained in Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Basically, the faster you travel, time will slow down for you relative to the rest of the universe. It doesn't make any difference for us on earth because we can't travel fast enough here to really make a difference, but if you were going near to or faster than light speed, it would cause quite a difference.

For example: If a 20 year old person left his twin on earth and traveled to Proxima Centauri (4.3 lightyears away) traveling at 99.9999% the speed of light, it would take 8.8452 years for the vehicle to make it back to earth. BUT it would only seem to take 0.0108 years to the person INSIDE the vehicle. Meaning the passenger in the vehicle would only be 20.0108 years old and his twin on earth would be 28.8452 years old.

freaky, but true. [/color]

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The Einstein theory doesn't apply in the GFFA, apparently.

16. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Well, if space-time was "warped", it would help explain that. I don't know how Einstein's Theory really reaches into FASTER than light speed because according to him, it's impossible.

Of course, we're talkin about a movie. ;)[/color]

17. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Dang it I_F!

I thought I was going to get to post the real explanation for Hans boast!

EDIT: but I can add to it. the Kessel run is made in subspace only. you can't go into hyperspace because of the proximity of the Maw Cluster that you are trying to fly around. Which means Han was at sublight speeds. Thus, warped time is not necessary for the explaination.

18. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Which means Han was at sublight speeds. Thus, warped time is not necessary for the explaination.

How does this cancel out "time dilation"? If you were going less than light speed, but obviously still pretty darn fast, then time dilation would effect you just as it would anyone else.[/color]

19. Iron_Fist

Jan 30, 2003
    Hey... we are in a galaxy far, far away. ;)

In reality, the time dilation has nothing to do with Star Wars. In this case, it's simply the shorter the route you take, the quicker you complete the run ;).

slushy: :cool:

20. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Yeh, that's why I said " Of course, we're talkin about a movie. ;)"

If we had to follow the laws of physics, then we wouldn't have any sci-fi movies. :p[/color]

21. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    don;t they mention parsecs in Trek

i remember they talked about them when i watched Voyager

22. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    "How does this cancel out "time dilation"? "

it doesn't. the fact that Star Wars is science-fiction is the only thing cancels out time dilation.

How else could TIE fighter make noise? ;)

"don;t they mention parsecs in Trek "

what is this, "Trek", you speak of? :confused:

23. merlin

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]Star Wars is science fiction???? [face_shocked] You can't be serious![/color]

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Actually, it's not science fiction. It's a space opera.

25. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Basically, the faster you travel, time will slow down for you relative to the rest of the universe.

Like in the movie, Planet of the Apes? Mark Wahlburg, ahhhh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.