main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Justice League

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    For the goggles, I'm referring specifically to the angled shape.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Does that make sense?

I am glad that you get that wow feeling. But it's not there for me and I'm really not sure why as this is the team I've looked forward to seeing on the big screen the most. More than Avengers. More than a proper X-Men or Fantastic Four. And yet when I finally saw the image, it was more of a "eh?" feeling. Hard to explain. Like I said, I'm hoping that seeing them in action more as a team will evoke that feeling.

And I get what they are doing with Steppanwolf- I'd just rather see Darkseid himself than have more teases for things to come.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah makes total sense; I'm basically just saying "I hope they remove them when he's stopped welding or swimming laps". :D

At least we agree that the Justice League is the best superhero team.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

You've got rights. Lots of rights. Sometimes I count them just to make myself feel crazy...

However, the circular arguments you usually engage with just about everyone - especially some dude of a rather sinister nature - DO drive us crazy. So...howsabout you reign that impulse in just a tiny bit, eh sport? That's a good lad.

4. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    pretty pumped for this hopefully with geoff johns more involved with the films going forward they can get back on track

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    "After the harsh critical reaction to the dark tone of Batman v Superman, Geoff Johns of DC Comics and Zack Snyder have indicated they've heard the criticism and there will be a lightness to this film."

Do they understand it's not the tone, but it's the writing? There are many films, comic book related or not, that are very enjoyable regardless of their dark tone.

With that said, I'm worried that the DC franchise are moving towards looking less like Nolan's films and more like Schumacher's films, and that would be a huge step backwards.

I don't understand why the executives can't figure it out. Write a good story, and make us care about the characters and you'll have a hit.

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Did you see I post that argument in this thread? No.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Good! By all means, keep it that way. As in...forever?

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sure. I'm not a DCEU hater at all.

More accurately, the direction was wrong. BVS should not have been the 2nd installment of DCEU because there wasn't enough setup.

Why do you think Nolan's style is good for DCEU? His tone is only good for Batman and still many fans think it's too "realistic and not Batman enough". He strongly refused to insert any other heroes because his tone would not fit them well.

9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I love Nolan's style in general, so I'll take that over anything silly or campy any day.

Is it me or does it appear that "shirt" is actually painted on?

[​IMG]

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's just you. That's a reflection, not a nipple. You have a filthy mind, Tony!

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I love how people keep repeating that the Marvel film style is silly/campy/jokey when that's clearly not true. They cover a pretty wide range of the emotional spectrum. There's humor, drama, seriousness, all of it. It sounds a bit pedantic to dismiss them that way. While jumbled and a bit messy, Suicide Squad had some of that same range. The humor, sure, but also dramatic elements for the characters. Snyder's films had, essentially, a flat affect, an overwhelming need to take themselves superserial. When you combine that with terrible scripting (not that other movies don't have plot holes, they just have enough good stuff to make the plot holes easier to miss... unless they're overloaded like Age of Ultron), even stunning visual shots aren't enough to carry the film.

And yeah, I hope Wonder Woman is fantastic. It needs to be, so the absolute ****ing idiots that greenlight movies can't keep saying the stupidest thing ever: "Female-led action/superhero movies can't be successful."

Also, yes, WW was the highlight of BvS. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise now rests on her shoulders to be saved from itself.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not Nolan doesn't mean it has to go the Batman&Robin way.

I agree, and MCU also got its hit and miss, its style fit some heroes very well but not that good on the others. Both Thor movies are decent, not impressive.

I hope WW would be awesome, but I still worry a little about the WWI background, I think it's really silly to put superheroes in real life world crisis, it might look fine in the 1940 or even till 1970s but not now. The first Captain America movie also suffered from it.

13. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I think WW1 will help people to draw less comparisons to the overly-done-in-film WW2 Nazi era stuff, and similar films like Captain America (B+) and Rocketeer (A-). My only complaint with Captain America was they just didn't show Nazis so they could market it internationally. So annoying, replacing them all with Hydra instead. Overall, though, I thought the movie did great and was a solid period piece too. I thought the "waking up in present day" schtick was tacked on and didn't fit that well with the rest of the movie, but I understand they did it so Avengers wouldn't have to use precious time fitting that into the plot too. Ugh, making movies and changing them to help set up the next film does hurt movies, though. Shared universe comes at a price, I guess.

As for putting superheroes in real crises, I remember how powerful it was when I picked up my pull list in October of 2001 and my latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man was waiting, and it dealt squarely with the attack in a way that allowed one to process the raw emotions of the crisis. (Not that I want to see that adapted into a movie.) Anyway, superheroes have always sort of filled in the cracks of our real world and history. They get to become a part of that tapestry, so I don't think at all that it's a mistake to keep to her similar origins from the comics in adapting them to screen.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    You mean the part which the villains assemble to mourn for the loss? That's really off-their characters, they don't care about destroying one building or more in the comics. It's easy to see the disconnection between real life and comic.

I still think it's better to develop WW's story based on the Greek Mythology. Unlike Captain America, most of her golden age connection/villains were severed from her later stories, so there wasn't much potential.

BTW how was my trailer? :)

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Stop pimping your damned trailers. Last warning.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Really? Because I'm pretty sure that wasn't the consensus -- just that it wasn't as good as the original The Avengers or Winter Soldier... :p

Also, in regards to that WW picture -- that's her hair hanging down in front of her armor, you perverts.

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    To try and get this thread back on topic, I'll address the questions in the OP:

1) What are your thoughts on the trailer and new suit, and

a) I don't like the choice for Flash and that's probably because I'm biased towards Grant Gustin. Zack Snyder said that Grant wouldn't fit in his universe, but from what I've seen in the trailer Grant would fit perfectly.

b) The Bruce / Arthur recruitment scene didn't do anything for me. Ok, Aquaman is a badass and isn't going to take Bruce's ****. So what? It feels like added conflict for no apparent reason. I guess it'll be up for the movie to show why the hatred, maybe a Wayne Oil Tanker killed a dolphin friend of his?

c) Cyborg looked good I guess.

d) I have no problems with Batman's suits as long as it provides a function which I'm sure it will.

2) What do you think the Justice League film needs to succeed critically? Or should it just aim for fan service and not widespread, Marvellian acclaim?

It needs to have a good story/plot, and I need to care about the characters. It seems like it'll be close to Avengers where the team doesn't play well together at first and eventually they will band together to overcome an evil. Hopefully they'll be good use of flash backs to make us care about these people while as the same time develop a strong villain.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Justice League needs good setup and script, they need to remember DON'T INSERT too many characters into the story, just focus on the big7 and the villains.

I still think Jason Momoa looks more like Lobo than Aquaman.

draw73 likes this.
  19. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    AFAIK, it's only the five since Green Arrow or J'onnn J'onnz aren't in it.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Six.

21. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Damn, I forgot Cyborg.....

Diggy likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013