main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kai sighting?

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Is that her in the latest issue of Star Wars Insider?

Or just a clone?

2. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Damn! My cover has been blown! :)

Yeah, yeah. It's a Kai sighting. I need to go pick up the magazine so I can see the picture. :)

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Ohhhhhh "Does the Legendary Kai Exist? We here at the Jedi Enquirer have positive picture proof that indeed she does!"

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

4. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    and coming up next on "Jedi on the Couch" an exclusive interview with the elusive Kai, recently featured in SW Insider. ;)

5. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    On the couch? Tell her to get her feet off the dang coffee table, sheesh, company is coming.

Congrats Kai, and I guess that makes at least four of us in from here in that mag now, three from Comic Con 04, and one from this year, sweet!

6. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I thought that might have been Kai! Congrats!! Good picture, too.

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks!

- Kai, sighing huffily and removing feet from the coffee table*

"I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Lucas!"

*fans self with rolled-up Star Wars Insider*

Wow, one photo and the ego explodes through the bulkheads...

;)

8. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Hey, so when the picture was taken, did you know this is what it was for?

9. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Seriously, I don't even know when the pic was taken. I saw nobody take a picture of me who had a shirt, hat, badge, whatever that said anything about Star Wars Insider. I don't know if the photographer was incognito, or if I was just so overwhelmed by all the people by that point I just heard, "Hey, can I take a picture?" and stopped to pose, or what. Actually, I am not even sure I'm posing, or if that was just a passing shot of me, stopped somewhere! Somebody asked me if I had an "in" that got my picture in the magazine. Err...no. Heck, as far as organized fandom, I'm a newbie to Star Wars, although I've been a fan since 1977.

:)

10. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    LOL, get used to it. Between conventions, Faire, Civil War Assoc, haunted houses, our pictures are in so many places it's mind boggling. I'm sure I'm in probably hundreds of Japanese tourist slide shows, heh, imagine that.

And every once in a while I get an email or someone walks up and says, "Hey, I got this pic of YOU".

I even had some guy SELLING my picture once at a convention. Told him to knock that off or give me a cut, heh.

11. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    LOL! I'm on a ton of websites to do with LOTR and a few SW...that, I'm used to. But this is only the second magazine I've ever been in (One Ring Circus's performance at the Return of the King Oscar Party ended up in the LOTR fan magazine), so...not used to THAT. :)

Anyway...someone was selling your picture? Wild! What was that all about?

12. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Was a pile of years ago, someone was taking professional photos of fans then selling them at their table. Someone came up and said, "Hey, I bought your picture, it's pretty cool!" I blinked and said, "Whhhhaaa?" The person showed me to a table where, yep, on display nicely matted was a photo of me from a previous con in costume. I asked the guy, who did not recognize me out of costume how much he was selling the pic for, he said, "$25 with the matting".

*gape*

"Er, well that's my image, you never asked me to take the photo nor did I ever sign a thing which said you could sell my image WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. So I want that picture and the negative. He did not give me the negative, but he gave me the display photo and did nor print anymore. For years after that people with pro cameras tried to take my pic, I held my hand up and said, "Sorry, no pics". Finally I quit being such a hard case about it and sure enough, at Baycon someone was advertising adding in effects like lightsaber beams and such and using my image to promote their product.

Sigh.

If people would just ASK, but they don't, they take the shot like your average fan and then I find my image has a copyright mark on it and I have to PAY if I want a copy. If it was just a service to provide nice pics of people that would be fine, but dang it if I'm going to be their poster child (couldn't they do BETTER?) and use me to make them money, then I want at least a free pic, and they need to ASK me.

And by the way somewhere along the way if you read the fine print in costume contests and convention info you'll find that in paying your fee you have agreed that people CAN take your picture without your permission and print/scan/post it to promote the convention or their products without your further knowledge or permission.

I guess if that weren't the conditions, then you couldn't take that picture with your favorite star. Oh, wait, you couldn't at CIII, they were whisked away and refused to pose for pictures outside the paid venue... hmmm. Same with Creation Cons... so I guess this clause is the convention staff's way of CYA.

13. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Jos and I probably had the same guy that took our pic too. AND was selling them for $25.00. The one I love was recently someone had a pic of me in the Ewan Webcam Hyperspace Practice Fighting Outfit from CIII and was selling it on some site in Germany as a pic of Ewan from the con. One of my friends from Back East emailed me the link and asked if it was me or not. While I was flattered (LOL), I posted on his comments site that that was DEFINITELY not Ewan, but if he wanted to sell a pic of me...go ahead, I would sign the release. Anyways, I thought it was hysterical. [face_laugh] The pic was taken down about two days later. [face_laugh] So, if anyone out there paid $75.00 bucks for an autographed (oh yeah it was autographed too!) pic of Ewan from CIII from some guy in Germany....um..you got took, but I will autograph it for the right amount of $$ LOL

Anyways if someone wants a pic of me...go ahead.. I'm a big enough ham that I love it!

(Also have to laugh at someone sliding a pic of me from Beauty and the Beast under a bathroom stall door at a B&B convention I was attending. They asked for an autograph. What did I do...Shrugged, Autographed it and sent it back on its way... Ok, I just don't get bugged by these things.. I just think they are soooo funny.)

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm more in that category, too, I am ashamed to say. But I can see how it could annoy. Mostly, I think, when people take pictures and then sell prints for money, they are selling YOU--the person who posed--the picture to recoup expenses of printing, et al.

The person you mentioned, Sid, I know. He's a pretty good guy, honorable, easy to work with, etc. I think if you emailed him and asked nicely for him not to use the picture of you with the Force lightning to advertise, he'd be reasonable. If it really bothers you. He was great to me--I worked with him to get my photoshopped versions of his pictures of me printed out and they look fantastic. He seems to do the photography for the love of it more than anything else, and while he uses pictures he took to advertise, I don't think it's done in a predatory way, if that makes sense.

:)

- Kai, Photo-Addict

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    I also know the guy your talking about, Kai. Really nice person. Yeah, Sid, if you just asked him, I'm sure he would work with you. And, when I still working in the Industry, I got used to people taking pics of me in and out of costume all the time. "shrug" Just part of the territory, so it really doesn't bother me. If it did, then I would have a bantha poodoo load of pics that I wouldn't be owning now. LOL

But seriously, I see him using the pic with the Force Lightening as a complement...just ask him for a copy.

Hmmm online gaming..I'll pm you with the info Kai!

16. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Actually I have talked to the guy with the force lightning, he's pretty cool, very agreeable.

And I guess it's no big thing, I just get irate at people making money off the hard work I go to making the outfits and they don't have the courtesy to ASK me if I'm cool with using my image. More than anything it's the principle of the thing, I don't like to be the last to know, heh.

17. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Gotcha. :)

Well, I am glad, though, that it seems you two are working things out, ok.

Hey, are any of you perhaps coming SF-ward around Halloween for either the DVD release or the Halloween costume at-SF-club-thingie?

18. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I would love to try to make it to the Halloween costume party at the SF club thing. Life has been incredibly hectic lately - way too much overtime at work - but I keep hoping that I'll be able to get to the party. I mean, how can you pass up a SW themed costume Halloween party?? I probably won't be able to make the DVD release, though. If it weren't a worknight, and the drive weren't so long...

Kai, were you going to go to the Halloween party?

19. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I definitely plan to be there, yes. :) It'd be great to see you there as well!

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Awesome! I really, really do want to get up there for it. Things have been so hectic and overloaded at work the past several weeks that I haven't had time to breath, let alone do an costume work or think about events. I'm worried that we appear to have another deadline right around the end of the month, but at some point I'm going to have to put my foot down regarding the insane overtime.

Hm. I was hoping to make a Celebration Leia necklace for the party, though. Given that I don't even have a solid method for making it yet, I'd better get to work on experimenting this weekend. Oy.

21. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Not looking good on making it up for the Halloween thing...still trying to figure out days off (AND weekend school.. arrrgggh).

As for the Leia necklace, one of our local gift shops used to carry it about..um.. 20 year ago)..just didn't have the $400 for it at the time...But I know the owner and see if she still has connections to the manufacturer (I believe it was a somehow family-owned/related)..

:cool:

22. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    :eek: Er... I certainly don't have $400 for it at this time, let alone however much it would be after 20 years of inflation. At the moment, I'm thinking of just fooling around with some crafty stuff to make a quick necklace. Most of my free time the last week has been spent making Jedi and Sith cloaks/capes for my nephews. Kids... they're only 5 and 6 years old, and already they expect me to make them new costumes for any event. :oops:

23. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I saw a tutorial somewhere online Obi-wans Jedi Academy or something for making a Leia necklace out of silver Sculpey. It didn't look too tough. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.