main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Kanan (watch out for puns)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Now he's gone full on Force-Daredevil I kind of want the dude to get a sharpshooting arch-enemy and an assassin ex-girlfriend. But maybe that's just me.

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaah, of all the people to fall into the blind puns in 'The Wynkahthu Job' .... it had to be Hondo. Kanan certainly sees the error of Hondo's ways.:p

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  3. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    You know who i reeeealy want to see in Rebels (apart from Cody).
    [​IMG]

Would do a lot for his character if we saw his relationship with her which was developed in the comic and briefly in the first Rex episode reach its conclusion with some sort of flash black or spiritual experience.

ConservativeJedi321 and Vialco like this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the comic and numerous Rebels references did a sufficient job. Move forward with Kanan's story, not backward.

Pretendalorian likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The Kanan comic wasnt half bad. I kinda liked it more than the first season of Rebels.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Wasnt it cancelled early?

Vialco likes this.
  7. A Daisy Driver

A Daisy Driver Jedi Padawan

Dec 23, 2015
    What is the point of this? To show the battle has ramifications for some?

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think the idea was to give him a serious injury that he needed the Force to overcome.

Loth-cat likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    character development. Even when Kanan had his sight, he was blind to the fear inside of himself. When he became blinded, the Bendu taught Kanan to look inside himself and face that fear, and he did. This makes Kanan more powerful than when he had his sight. It's kind of like when he faced the Inquisitor and thought that Ezra died.

Loth-cat and Vialco like this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    So I was re-reading the Kanan comics and it struck me that Jedi Youngling Caleb Dume came this close to remaining at the Jedi Temple and being killed in Operation: Knightfall. Depa Billaba taking him as her Padawan was the only thing that saved him from becoming another statistic on the long list of dead Jedi. Depa sacrificed her own life to save Caleb's and he honoured that sacrifice by giving up the Jedi ways completely and abandoning his beliefs for fifteen long years.

It's funny how Caleb narrowly missed the attack on the Temple and facing the newly minted Darth Vader. Had Depa not taken him on, he would most certainly have perished at Vader's hands or the 501st. And then, sixteen years later, Caleb Dume, now known as Kanan Jarrus, comes face to mask with Darth Vader.

Does he know that this Sith Lord was likely the one who killed his two friends in the Temple? Depa was certainly a good Jedi to the end. She honoured her duty to protect and teach her Padawan right to the end. Just think, if Caleb hadn't gone to the medbay that day and accidentally woken Depa, she would have remained in her coma, he would have stayed at the Temple as a Youngling. and both of them would have died when the Clones and Vader marched on the Temple.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    so many corneae jokes on this thread, why not some more?

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Kanan can sense the force, but can he see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch? No he can't because he is blind.

The end

13. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    there are two foci in this thread, serious discussion about Kanan and blind jokes. That being said, it would be incorrect to call it bifocal.

TheMDOSS1313 likes this.
  14. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Are we really doing the puns again? I don't really see the point.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh come on why don't you see the fun in it? I sure bet Kanan does. Oh wait.....

16. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    isnt it ironic that Kanan's attempt to get Bendu lean to the light side made him lean to the dark side?

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Kanan needs to work on his wording

18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Kanan demonstrated some significant prowess with the force in these two episodes. Is he near/at the skill level of the Jedi Generals in TCW? Maybe not most of the council members, but others. I feel like a lot of people are seriously underestimating him, and Ezra for that matter.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just realized that this title is a pun in itself!

20. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

Well it's been a decent while since he was knighted, and seems to have taken a serious upgrade in "power level" since interacting with the Bendu so I'd say he's probably approaching Master territory.

21. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I wouldn't say Master-level. Knights are quite powerful too, and I would say he's definitely gotten to the level of a Knight.

All the more reason why his likelihood to survive this season isn't good.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    His wisdom levels have skyrocketed since losing his sight too.

But what I really like is that he's still clearly animated as a blind character. You can notice this in lots of subtle movements from himself and the characters around him, e.g. getting nudged by Zeb or Fenn Rau to tell him to duck or come out of cover, or when he grabs Ezra's hand at the end of Steps Into Shadow - Kanan's arm is outstretched at first and not aiming anywhere in particular, then he senses Ezra is above him and *BANG* he instantly snaps his arm up to catch him. And when they come out of hyperspace in Through Imperial Eyes, he can't see the large blockade around Lothal, so Rex has to explain it to him.

23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

The title of Master was more of a hierarchical title within the Jedi Order, rather than title denoting your "power level".

For example, you had Jedi Knights who were more powerful in their use of the Force or with their lightsaber skills than many Masters, but in the internal hierarchy of the Jedi Order, they held a lower rank and answered to their superiors.

Anakin, for example, while never attaining the rank of Master, was still more powerful than most Jedi alive. Similarly, Obi-Wan in TPM, while still only a Padawan, was already more skilled in lightsaber combat than most Jedi. Its kinda like in the old medieval knight orders, just because you held a higher rank within the orders hierarchy, it didn't mean you were the best fighter in the order, it just meant that you served in the order for a longer time and had more experience.

I wouldn't call Kanan a Master, but he certainly became way more skilled and powerful compared to how he was just few years ago. In Season 2, he wouldn't last against Vader for more than few seconds, now I feel like he would actually be able to put up some fight.

24. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

Makes sense. I really like this analysis, it fits what I always kinda felt myself but never put into words. I think Kanan is probably at the level of a Jedi General, depending on which one. Not a Pong Krell for example, but I think he's probably as effective as Master Bilaba was.

25. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    IF --- and that's a BIG IF -- Kanan or Caleb is to survive Rebels...

I've looked hard at the screen shot from TFA where you see the Red Blade go through someone at the Jedi Academy -- it's definitely an older fellow with a beard. It would be ok with me if Kanan / Caleb has a story line that ends with him being killed there. We can get the story of his life path similar to the Ahsoka book.

I said "ok with ME" as I can imagine ways to make it plausible - especially with his line in Kindred to Hera about there being a time kind of stop fighting and maybe having played your part to the hilt. I know she felt otherwise and we see her in FoD talking to Han -- so she is lingering herself. But he could conceivably decide it's no longer a Jedi's role to fight.

I am ok with the Luke is the Last of them as per Yoda / Ben if it means survivors exist but have melted away into the gffa and are completely out of the picture. That's just my opinion -- and it would have to be done right.

I'm very unsure how Filoni and crew will kill off Kanan or Ezra if they plan to. The show has gotten darker -- but it's still on DisneyXD -- which is a kids show - he'd have to die in a less personal way a la R1 with Jin and Cassian. Can't have him out and out slaughtered.

The Will of the Force -- if there is such a thing -- must need him alive to fulfill some purpose or the Force-Loth Wolves actions would seem superfluous [Duuuuuuuumeeeeeee]