main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kathleen Kennedy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    May I ask a small favor?

Please stop flooding the thread with cascading quotes.

And if you ignore me, I'll post this again with tags!

2. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Some of us are on PHONES, ya know! Designers of TheForce.net were sympathetic toward our plight. Tapatalk. Then the mobile optimized version? I wasn't here, I don't know.

But that means jack if I have to kill my thumb by scrolling thru quoted posts I've already read, just because you're too lazy to format a little.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    You described Rey as emotionally weak. You also compared her to Leia.

Are all orphans emotionally weak? No.

But when your closest role model is Unkar Plutt. Compared to having Bail and Breha.

It's pretty obvious how one will turn out compared to the other.

4. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Quoting myself. Thank you, cerealbox.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Her closest role model being Unkar Plutt, as well as the living conditions on Jakku in general, should have left her with more street smarts, more cynicism, less eagerness to trust. The opposite of the assumption that an evildoer can be fixed.

godisawesome likes this.
  6. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t like nested quotes either.

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Sorry @Ava G. I wasn't going through all the threads while on my phone right tonight.

I was only looking at and responding to people who quoted me from today.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Interesting thing to me is that Rey seemed to create her own role models. She has that broken pilot's helmet and a little stitched figure of a Rebel pilot. These objects probably fueled her ambitions and aspirations more than anybody actually living on Jakku ever did. Unkar Plutt is scum, and she's worth 200 of him.

She's strong and compassionate. These are two traits that are often not allowed for strong female characters to possess together. If she were weak, she would've given in to Kylo Ren's offer to rule the galaxy beside him. She feels for Ben Solo, but has zero tolerance for Kylo Ren and she made that very clear in the end.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The issue is that the audience is not made privy to the “Ben Solo” that she sees, assuming you are correct. Therefore, what many of us saw was not compassion, it was falling for manipulation by an evil man who tried to toy with her emotions and succeeded.

And nobody has ever said that being strong means being uncompassionate. There are many, many strong and compassionate women in the real world, as well as many in fiction. Both Leia and Jyn come to mind, as well as Padme in TPM.

11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeap.

And...have you ever seen someone claim that a female character can’t be both strong and compassionate? I haven’t. Ever.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Nevermind, this is the wrong thread for it anyway.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I think this has gone far enough off the rails that we can safely lock it. We may reopen it later, if it becomes relevant again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.