main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Kathleen Kennedy Given Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Exactly this reason.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, this isn't really on topic, and is the kind of thing that we're talking about having a lot less of around here. Youtube bloggers with theories aren't even remotely a legit source. It's just more muddying of the water.

EHT and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Hmm....All right, Galaxy's edge is due to open around the time Episode 9 drops (I think), and 'The Mandalorian' takes place in the Outer Rim....I wonder if there will be any crossover between the three....like will we see the Outpost in Galaxy's edge in the other two places. Also, Could this be part of KK's plan to move us away from the Skywalkers and Empire...actually physically moving the stories away from the core and old conflicts?

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    You’ve gotta appreciate Disney’s incredibly generous termination policy. Most companies are content to give two weeks notice. But not Disney. Three years notice, at a minimum. Now that’s a progressive business.

5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Well there is a very recent example of Disney's slow walking someone to the parking lot; John Lasseter. He's technically still with the company until the end of the year and I don't think many would have blamed Disney for simply mailing him the contents of his desk.

guittarjedi likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Sorry, but John Lasseter’s contract wasn’t extended after the allegations, so it’s not even remotely a similar situation. And as far as I can tell, Kennedy hasn’t been accused of harassment. She’s only been accused of making a bunch of money for Disney. So there’s no reason for them to be slowly walkeing her to the parking lot.

7. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I didn't say that they are. She got a contract extension because they wanted to retain her services, obviously.

And I know your remark about a three year termination process was made in jest I'm just pointing out that sometimes, even when there is plenty of reason to fire someone outright for cause, it doesn't necessarily go down like that. Disney doesn't always go with the James Gunn approach.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Freaking brilliant.

Krueger and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Is it really more humiliating to admit you were wrong than to posit that Disney is slow walking someone to the for they apparently thin has damaged their brand? If KK was really in their bad books why would they trust her with any more contract at the company?

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Do people actually really believe that? I know Bor Gullet said it in jest, but people actually think this could be the case? My goodness.........

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes people think they only gave her an extention while they find her replacement.

12. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Add to that RJ's trilogy has been unofficially canceled due to Iger's failure to mention it a couple of weeks ago. That's the two major gets that one camp is clamoring for. Interestingly they're still on the boycott train in spite of supposedly having won, essentially.

13. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Because it was a PR nightmare in today's day and age to fire her.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    They didn't even have to fire her. All they had to do is not renew her contract and find someone else. Instead, their hated President, got her contract renewed... because it would be a PR nightmare to... not?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  15. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think she's good at being the LFL President. Not in the slightest. I think her talents are in producing, not in leadership. The sheer amount of directors she's hired and fired in these Star Wars films is evidence enough of her bad judgment, IMO. I think that there is a large portion of the Star Wars fan-base that would love to see her gone and replaced by someone that will do a better job and remain true to Lucas' previous films in terms of character development and story telling. That being said, in Hollywood, especially today, they would rage like crazy if a female president of a studio was fired when one of the criticisms people have of her is her injecting sjw politics (i.e. radical feminism) into the new films. And letting her contact just expire like you suggest would still be seen as a firing IMO. Anyway, that's the PR nightmare that I'm referring to.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

Then we're in a non-rebuttable situation. If they fire her it's because of her 'failures'. If they don't it's because it's a PR nightmare. Either way LFL dislikes her and whatever happens is confirmation of that.

Disney is a multi-billion dollar business. If KK was a liability they would not renew her contract, no matter any hypothetical 'PR problem' this would cause.

17. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    IMO the best hope we have for Star Wars is Disney limiting her ability to have a negative impact. Hopefully they are having some kind of checks and balances with her to keep her from making any more bad decisions (i.e. hiring/firing directors like she's done or having any part of the creative side of the story telling).

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm assuming your problems with her are more creative since that's what has a 'negative impact' upon the brand. I can only think of one instance where she's had creative input, and that was with Leia's force-walk through space.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Doesn't really make much sense to read into something Iger said which is far from certain, then ignore something he explicitly said; that gets back to the current situation of creating your own truth to fit a narrative despite far stronger evidence to the contrary (or only facts and evidence to the contrary). Iger didn't say RJ's trilogy was finished; he did say he blamed himself for the decisions which led to the downturn at the box office for Solo (which would mean he isn't blaming KK); he explicitly said "the buck stops here."

Also, extending someone's contract makes it more likely that you are pleased with how someone is working for you; I don't quite know how that gets twisted into making it less.

Facts really aren't negotiable.

BigAl6ft6, Krueger and EHT like this.
  20. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I hope she got talked to about reshooting half the anthology movies all the time.

21. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Oh absolutely, right after she got talked down to about all the money she’s made them over the past 4 years.

22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I hope this video is up to our standards.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  23. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Resistance looks great. The Mandalorian looks great. Clone Wars is coming back. If episode 9 does well, you won't hear too many complaints about KK.

Vizzy91 and Strongbow like this.
  24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah, I'm SURE they are like, "NO! Don't reshoot crappy stuff! Just release it as is!!!!!"

rorow1 likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Dude, as long as SW is still making everyone $$, KK is going nowhere. That ultimately is all Hollywood cares about-the bottom line. Not fans' outcries, not production turmoil...as long as the franchise is continuing to be profitable, there will be no way they take her out of there. True, Solo didn't do as well as expected. But even Iger admitted to what he feels happened there, and it was not placed on KK. Besides-this isn't the NFL. A president of a multi-billion dollar film production company is not kicked out simply cos one movie didn't do as well as they hoped. It's one out of a total of four films-all the others of which were hugely successful from a $$ standpoint. As long as that's happening, I'm sure she'll stay where she is.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Vizzy91 and rorow1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.