main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kathleen Kennedy not leaving lucasfilm

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by black_saber, Mar 9, 2021.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I love Lucas too but you must realize he is not immortal. That is one of the reasons he sold LFL and SW: for a big company with enough money to continue his work. He don't wants to be involved anymore. People need to realize this. He sold it on purpose and for many reasons...

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Filoni and faveru is using some of GL treatments with Mandalorian and book of Boba, we might get Whills mentionin Ahsoka.

KyleKartan likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Lucas wanted out for a long while, but he knew if he didn’t sell the company would have a slow death. From what I have read Lucas does not like firing employees.

So he would either keep the company but do nothing with it other than releasing books and games. Or he could sell it and see it outlive him. I think the answer is obvious. Disney was the only real option. There was nobody else on the table as far as we know.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You're right he's not immortal but they didn't continue his work. Bob Iger even admits in his book they lied to him and that George was disappointed in what they did . They even brought his treatments so he couldn't then go film them himself.
    Just imagine an ST doing something different than simply Rebels v Empire again, telling a different story and going deeper into Whills and the Force. Now maybe fans might have disliked it but it would've been interesting and people would've talked about it.

@Jedi Knight Fett Now this is just speculation but I think George himself knew that he wasn't that greatest director or writer and he was getting older and clearly thought Disney could take up that load for him while he developed the screen play. Obviously that didn't happen :( Bob Iger in his book pretty much confirms it

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  5. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    You said that in multiple posts already. Bob Iger never admitted he lied but he says in the book that they told Lucas they PLAN on using them or something like that.

Like I said I love GL and Iam thankfull for everything he gave me. BUT if he wanted to have the ST done the way he wanted it to be he should have made them himself in the first place. Period. It's on him that he sold it. I worship the guy like a god but you cant blame a big cooperartion to do their thing after they bought it.

Would I have prefered a ST by the Maker himself?! Of course I would have! Can I change how things turned out? No I cant. So why beeing bitter? Why dont act like a grown up and swallow the facts?!

Considering buying the treatments: That was one of Lucas' demands! He pushed them to by them so they would have been made or source for the upcoming movies. How could Lucas have made the ST by himself if Disney didnt use his treatments as you claimed when he sold all rights of SW and couldnt do ANY SW related stuff without Disney?! Your claim is nonsensical.

Last but not least: we know that the treatments were used as foundation of the ST. Did they use everything? No but they took several aspects and developted them further in the ST and other projects. People need to stop claiming Lucas was robbed and betrayed. He chose the company, he chose his succsessor. He had over 40 years of experience in the business. He knew what he did and why he did it. His Charlie Rose interview is the one thing all of you guys cling to when you say Lucas felt betrayed when he actually came around and visited multiple sets of movies and shows after that interview. He was just bitter at the time. But thats just like with Mark Hamill. Taking some sentences out of context to endorce a certain narative isnt cool.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    "George knew we weren't contractually bound to anything but thought our buying the treatments was a tacit promise that we'd follow them and he was disappointed that his story was discarded"

"Starwars the Force Awakens, he, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, the Director JJ Abrams and Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn all agreed that the direction of the New Trilogy wasn't what what George had out lined"

" I could have talked this through with him and possibly avoided angering him by not surprising him"

"Now in the first meeting with him about the future of Starwars George felt betrayed and while this whole process would never have been easy for him, we'd gotten off to an unesscessairly rocky start"

So no they weren't used as a foundation

I honestly do not understand how anyone who is a fan of George or Starwars can think that this was OK I honestly can't

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You just did exactly what KyleKatarn was talking about. You pick a handful of quotes, completely without context, and jump from that to a conclusion that doesn't fit to the facts. There is more to the whole thing than a bunch of comments by Iger.

Yes, they did use Lucas' outlines as a foundation. There is plenty of source material that talks about that. There are characters and story-arcs that were directly developed out of those outlines. There is a clear seperation at some point, but that doesn't change the fact that they didn't cast aside his story and started all over, but picked and chose instead.

Is it the story Lucas would have told?
    No, but then again, the outline Lucas created wasn't the story Lucas would have told either. A passing glance at the development of both the OT and the PT shows that quite clearly. In both cases, drastic changes were made during the development process. The final outcome being drastically different from the outlines is no different than ANH bearing little resemblance to the first written outline of Star Wars.

It is understandible that Lucas was unhappy about it at that time, but there is no reason to cling to that as if it held any meaning. He has obviously moved on at this point. Star Wars doesn't need to adhere to stories Lucas would have told. That was the whole point of him selling his company in the first place: to let other people tell their stories in the Star Wars universe. It was never supposed to be about "his stories", doing so would go against his explicit wishes. He wasn't disappointed about Disney creating stories that weren't from him, he was disappointed about having come up with a story for a specific set of movies, which then wasn't followed the way he imagined it. Going from that to "Disney need to use Lucas Treatments and go back to George as he's the actual guy with original content" in no way fits to what Lucas wanted.

8. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I just can say it again: be an adult, face the facts and deal with it. There is no big baddie in this story. Lucas chose to step down, he chose to sell. He said back he do it so the franchise can go beyond him in terms of movies. He did because he didnt want to make more, he did it because the fandom had told him again and again how awfull he was (Iam sure you're familiar with that quote). He wanted to retire. Was he bitter when TFA was released. Yes. BUT I honestly think that for him it was just very hard to take that there is a new SW Film without his involvment. I think that was a main reason for his bitterness. But obviously he moved on since then. So I don't know why you take any of this personal...Lucas doesnt and he'd be the only person in the world who'd be in the position to take it personal.

Then again @Oissan said it all. Take special notice about him explaining how the OT and PT changed from Treatment to actual script and movie, especially the OT. There is lots of stuff from Lucas treatments in the ST, from characters to plot points and so on. Of course it goes in different directions but it does not mean there isnt content from him in this story.

And there is one question remaining: what makes ANYBODY think Lucas' ST would have been received better then what we got?! I would have loved it Iam sure but judged from the backlash Lucas got for the Prequels and Indy IV (and TCW when it was first announced...) the YT haters would have ripped his movies appart just as they do it now with the actual ST.

jaimestarr, CosmoHender and Riv_Shiel like this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I completely disagree. The only stuff they used from Lucas was stuff from the OT and that's because they rehashed it albiet with more mystery boxes added which to his credit George never did in his movies.

You say I took them out of context. They are all from Igers book and he explained what went on, those quotes can't be taken out of context. But if that's what you choose to be believe that's what you choose to believe. I know I'll never convince you otherwise

10. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    No man its the other way around. You chose to belive narrative that fits into your reality because you dont like the ST. Its a known and proofen fact that the ST was build and inspired by Lucas treatments. From the Jedi Killer and Kira to Luke in exile there is a bunch of stuff that was used and transformed from Lucas ideas into the actual ST. Just because you dont want to belive it doesnt make any less true or fact.

But as you say. We will never convince you otherwise because you chose to belive something because of your dislike of these movies. So enjoy discomfort with them as well as your conspiracy stuff around them.

CosmoHender likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lucas said his movies would've focused on the Whills and that probably the fans would have disliked it. I'll try and find the exact quote for you as you've probably not read it.
    There's no way he envisioned Empire v Rebellion again just with different names First Order v Resistance. Common do you really think that was George vision for the ST ?

12. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I guess you dont' read what I and others here write. Nobody said the outcome of ST was what Lucas had envisioned. Heck we ackknowledged that what happend to be the ST wasnt what Lucas would have done. All we said that they took his treatments and developed ideas from further. Like Luke in Exile, Kira the female hero, the Stormtrooper who got rogue and so on. There have been multiple sources confirming that ideas from him were taken out and developted for the ST. I dont understand why you cant acknowedge and accept this.

You dont have to search for any quotes for me. I know the quote. As much as I know that in the Book STAR WARS Archives Episode I - III from Paul Duncan Lucas is quoted that his ST would have been about Darth Maul as big Baddie (the big bad who developted into Snoke and Palps) and that he would have lead a bunch of pirates. There were no mentions of the Whills in that book when he talked about the ST. So they would have been a PART of the ST just as the Stuff around Maul. Just as Kira the female Hero or the Solo child.You say you completely disagree but there is no agree or disagree with facts. There are just facts so you have to accept them or go with your alternative facts...

What I dont understand is why always repeat yourself. I pointed out several things in my last post which were taken from Lucas' treatment you just ignore them. Is it because you dont have any arguments?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    CosmoHender likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Let's also remember that Lucas has a tendency to revise history. The most accurate indication of what he was ultimately gearing up to do is the concept art that was developed for Episode VII before he sold the company, when he was still intending to do at least the first movie himself. That artwork provides a clear indication of what was actually being developed behind the scenes, and not "Yeah, I was planning on doing something with the midi-chlorians," or "I thought it would be kind of cool to have Darth Maul leading some pirates, I don't know."

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also even when Kathleen Kennedy retires it's not like Kevin Feige is taking over. Most likely its probably one of the Vice Presidents like Carrie Beck or Michael Rejwan who takes over

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Michelle Rejwan seems most likley to take over after her, She's Kathlenn Kennedy's choice.

16. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope if it Michelle Rejwan more of those movies that are shelved can be revived again.

Kathleen Kennedy sure does have too much creative differences problems with directors and it’s getting to the point of being overboard.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Michelle Rewjan is one of the people who had creative differences Petty Jenkins.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    What's with these weird assumptions?

Development of movie projects starts and stops all the time. Often you will see development that doesn't lead anywhere, causing the project to be shelved. That in itself isn't an issue at all, not every project can turn into a movie. Nor are decisions made by a dictator on top. Kennedy doesn't sit on a throne making random decisions about projects depending on her mood. Rejwan is in one of the leading positions in the company, she will be heavily involved in any decisions of that sort.

We have zero idea who had creative differences with whom. It is completely useless to speculate about it, much less make any matter of fact statements.

The person in charge making a decision doesn't mean that this person was the one who had disagreements with someone either. If you go back to Solo, the rumoured divide - and it was just that, but I'll use it anyway because for this particular point the truth of the rumour is irrelevant - was supposedly between Kasdan on one side and Lord & Miller on the other. If such a situation occurs, it is on the leaderhip to dissolve it. That can mean some sort of compromise, a definitive decision from up above, or siding with one side. None of that, however, means that the leader itself was involved in any disagreement.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    There have been so many creative differences that is hard to look the other way, and Michelle Rewjan is involed with all live action and when creative differences involed she is involed like KK is. I only point that out.

20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Where can you read about the Willis and George initial treatment?

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It turns out Kathleen Kennedy has a TWIN SISTERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

[​IMG]

What will they think of next?

22. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Glad to see GL beeing alive and healthy!!!

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Can this be for real? I like.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It's so unreal lol with KK and her twin sister, i remember one of the resistance voice actors being fooled lol, at Rise of Skywalker premiere. Kathleen Kennedy still got some good years on her before she leaves and that won't happen until she sees some more Star Wars movies come into Cinema. Like RJ trilogy in 2029.

KyleKartan likes this.
  25. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Pay attention to who is seated at that table. Now with KK and her twin sister, I can already see a slight difference, but it's slight. KK could easily fool people with a Padme double. Maybe Rian Johnson got together with KK's Padme double and they greenlighted his new SW trilogy back in Nov. 2017. I offer that as an explanation.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.