main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kathleen Kennedy not leaving lucasfilm

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by black_saber, Mar 9, 2021.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Why would George be sitting at the same table as the evil woman that stole Star Wars from him?
    What does JJ & Rian have on her to allow them to make moar Star War!?
    Where is David Filoni-Lucas?!?
    Who is actually running Kennedyfilm?!??!
    When is Darth Vader the ongoing Disney+ series going to be announced!??!??!!1?!?
    How many incel meltdowns is that photo going to kick off?!!?!?!!??!??!!1!??!???!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  2. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Michelle Rejwan has resigned from Lucasfilm and has taken a producer deal with Disney. These types of moves are made when an executive is quietly fired.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Changes will come sure but Kathleen Kennedy will still stay around. They need to get replacement for Michelle Rewjan.

4. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    On his daily YouTube show, John Campea said that Kathleen Kennedy will apparently step down right before or after Indy 5 is released. The Direct is not a legit/reliable source, but they had a useful rundown of Campea's report:
    https://thedirect.com/article/katheen-kennedy-lucasfilm-leave-rumor
    For those not familiar with Campea, he's the longest running movie/TV YouTuber there is. His show is like sports talk radio for movies/TV/pop culture, not a scoop/rumor mill. He almost never reports scoops unless he's very sure and it's of interest to his viewers (e.g. SW news). He notably dropped images of Tobey, Andrew and Tom from Spiderman NWH before anyone else and reported that Affleck was dropping out as Batman before anyone.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    She has had a good run.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Kathleen Kennedy is almost 70 years old and is midway through her contract extension after being head of Lucasfilm for 10 years. It's a thankless job where she's been subjected to an inordinate and near-constant stream of misogyny. The moment she decides to step down, because ain't no way she wants to do this **** forever, the same morons who have been talking about her imminent firing every day for the past seven years are going to take it as some inane proof that they were right all along.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Kennedy's time at Lucasfilm should not be immune to criticism for a multitude of reasons, but I think you'd also be hard pressed to find someone who has universally hated everything released under her watch.

8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    My biggest gripe is that she did not enforce a unified vision for the Sequel Trilogy. Instead we got a dissonant mess. JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson ran roughshod over her. That’s on her.

Filoni pleeeeeease.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  9. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    John Campea says Kathleen Kennedy is out at Lucasfilm according to two sources. He says an announcement is coming soon.

She will stay on until around the release date for Indiana Jones 5 which will be her last project for Lucasfilm/Disney.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    No to Filoni and Faveru, get someone new.

11. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I hate all the misogyny that gets sent her way and I think she is talented she’s just a nuts and bolts producer, I think what Star Wars needs is someone who has a creative vision and can tie things together and have a plan for the next few years of Star Wars stories. I think if she doesn’t leave they should bring in someone under her to work on this and have a division solely dedicated to Star Wars films and work in a way were they have an outline it’s planned out they know we’re the story is going to go and can bring in filmmakers to execute on that vision. I hope Kennedy stays on to produce more films, but have someone else plan Star Wars who understands it from a creative level.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This report could be true, but come on. Come on.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    You know what I love most in cinema? Having it commoditized into 'sports radio' type talk about box office reports and executives!

John Campea and all of the others of that ilk are as annoying as can be and I really can't be bothered to pay attention to any of that stuff. He might be right, he might not be, but that's all really besides the point. I just really can't stand this sort of internet talk show mentality in exploring film this way.

darth-sinister and KyleKartan like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    X-Ray Vision is my go-to podcast for “nerd culture” type material, and I look forward to their review of the past few episodes of Andor as soon as I catch up. Their reviews of the Marvel shows and movies and past Star Wars projects are great, even when I disagree with their taste (they liked TLJ). It’s not behind the scenes “sports radio” type stuff but it is also not philosophy-class film-school type commentary, which I can’t stand.

As far as Kennedy, I think she may get far more heat than she deserves, and gets heat for decisions that were not solely hers, more heat than Iger or someone else might get, for a myriad of reasons that can be summed up below:

She’s a woman.

That said:

If she is indeed the decision maker who pushed to bring Adam Driver on board to the point of creating a character for him and writing the story around him, that needs to be called out. Not because Driver is not a good actor—he is—but because a cohesive three part story should be written and fully fleshed out before casting calls.

15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    He's far more bearable to listen to than most YouTube personalities and he does tend to attempt to run a respectable show and isn't just doing things that will bring in the clicks. So I'll give him that. He's at his best when he's just talking about already released material and info.

At the same time though he's never been real good at scoops and he has far more misses than he has hits. And I highly suspect that many of these sources he claims to have are just his friends from his AMC and Collider days.

It could potentially be true. As we have said before Kennedy is past retirement age already so her leaving will come eventually. If these people keep on reporting that she is leaving eventually they will be right.

16. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    Looking at the unfair vitriol thrown at Kathleen Kennedy just because she's a powerful woman running one of the biggest franchises in Hollywood, I wish her successor the best of luck. Say what you will about KK, but there wasn't anybody but her who could've taken over from George in October 2012. And George himself stepped away partly because of those "George Lucas raped my childhood" toxic fans who have now transformed themselves into anti-Disney and anti-KK toxic fans.

Whomever comes after KK will be subjected to the same amount of toxicity from the Fandom Menace. But if it's a woman and especially a woman of color, you bet your ass the toxicity will be 1 million times more.

17. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I don’t know I like Campea he is interesting and engaging and I like that he brings people on who have actually worked in film and aren’t just critics. Or are creatives at some level. He runs a good show in my opinion and I think box office is important because it’s important to the industry of film it affects what gets made and stuff so yeah. Wish it wasn’t like that but I think he runs a good show.

18. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Disney is now dealing with an activist investor in Trian Fund Management who are demanding a board seat and major changes for the company. Iger has his work cut out for him.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    filoni or Tony Gilroy would be awesome for the job.

dolphin likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Filoni dosent want it and Tony Gilroy doubt would make star wars his only thing.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Give it to the people! Seize the means of production!

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Favreau?

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You can. But I think those people just hate the fact that Disney owns the franchise and can’t have an actual opinion outside of that fact

Nah. Again why would anyone want to limit themselves to just this franchise. If I was a creative person. I wouldn’t want to limit all my work just to more or less Star Wars for the next decade or more. Sure you have other things. But it’s mainly just Star Wars. And again why would a creative take a job which is mainly business. Your not creating when your the president. Your hiring the people who will do the creating. And that sounds like a boring job for someone who wants to make shows or movies for the vision or the story etc. no the next president of Lucasfilm will just be another suit type. It’s probably someone literally no one has listed in any thread talking about this.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Those who made a big deal about John Campea's statements a few weeks ago he just repeated in one of his videos something an alt right outlet said (bounding into comics) that backed up his statements. He didn't say it was bounding into comics but I looked up where he was pulling it from and the only one that was running the story was bounding into comics (and the screenshot on his video was from their article). Bounding into comics was in turn sourcing another YouTuber (which I believe has been a clickbaiter).

Again we'll see if any of this comes true but the fact that Campea is even bringing up these outlets has made me lose a bit of respect for him and makes me wonder if I even want to follow his channel any longer.

In any case they are definitely giving people time to forget about it because they say it won't happen until after Indiana Jones V is released and that isn't coming out until summer 2023.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    He came back out and cited more sources. You have to remember that John Campea is a supporter of her overall, so its not like a hit piece against her. Watch the whole video, he gives her praise where needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2022