main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kathleen Kennedy not leaving lucasfilm

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by black_saber, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yes because the story about Rebels fighting STORMTROOPERS and then a prequel about the fall of a republic isn't political....nope...not at all.

(Sarcasm)

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Based on what exactly?

Please give one specfic example where she was "political" in a way that Star Wars hadn't been in the past.

3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Will I remembered only she talked about gender equality and not about Star Wars in certain interviews and when made in apperception during most of her hiding from toxic fans and had one interview she was only talking about gender instead of Star Wars.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I find it to be an immensely sad statement about our Earth society that supporting things like gender equality, racial equality, or people with any sexual identity different than the heterosexual is treated as some sort of radical political statement.

Instead of just an acknowledgement of the fact that more people than just straight, white males exist and deserve to be represented in media too.

It is just hilarious to me whenever a straight, white male has a tantrum about anyone else getting represented in media. Straight, white males could absolutely learn to relate to more characters than just other straight, white males in the same way that women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, etc. have been doing for a long time.

I really am not interested in hearing about how Star Wars or Kathleen Kennedy is too political because striving for gender or racial equality is supposed to be a bad thing. I just find it incredibly sad that it is a controversial thing or a political thing at all.

And I suspect that George Lucas himself would not mind the Star Wars universe being used to promote gender and racial equality.

So why so many people want to pick being opposed to efforts to make Star Wars more diverse and inclusive as their hill to die on is strange to me.

I can understand wanting Disney to continue to improve in terms of diversity and inclusion. However, the reverse of whining like a toddler denied sweets because there are too many women or people of color or some other historically underrepresented in media is a bad look to me. Especially when it comes from straight, white men who have been so over represented in media that they now interpret any attempt to include anyone else in more than a token or stereotyped way as an attack on them.

So I am not interested in valuing their complaints over representation of women, people of color, and other groups.

If Kathleen Kennedy is too “political” because she cares about gender and racial equality, long may she be so, I say. And I hope the day comes when supporting gender and racial equality generates zero controversy and debate. When it is a simple statement of truth to everyone rather than any sort of radical or debatable political belief. Because why should people’s right to be represented in media be debatable at all?

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Star Wars has always been political, back when the Empire in the OT was representative of Nixon’s behavior in Vietnam.

Star Wars has also been pro-gender equality, from the time Lucas got slammed in newspaper letters to the editor by misogynists who whined that Leia was not “nice enough” to her rescuers. And the time Leia murdered her assaulter by strangling him with the chains he made her wear.

And gender equality is not political, it is basic human decency.

And given that ROTS and TLJ are two of the least progressive entries in the Star Wars saga, I don’t think Kennedy changed the political messaging of the movies at all.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd say it's more than likely pretty much irrelevant at this point. She showed herself incapable of making their sequel trilogy hang together as a story between the original three director/writers chosen. The complete clashing from one movie to the next which resulted in the third director being let go speaks for itself. That is the great failure of her tenure.

Anything else pales in comparison but it's not like she was alone in this between herself, Iger, Horn and any other unnamed executives along with the directors who couldn't get it together.

Apart from that Rogue One was good if uneven in parts and Solo was fine. That they had to shoot the movie twice was a bit of a debacle but things like this happen in Hollywood.

I suspect that future projects will not only not be anywhere near as important as a sequel trilogy but that her overall part in them will be very much arms length or further. She have her name on them of course but overall I think it's going to be a lesson learned and let creatives create but have a clear delineation of responsibility.

Their ST needed one person in charge to create a unified through line for the characters and story. They failed and I would think that they internally admit it to themselves. Why they didn't do that in the first place I have no idea. It really was the only way to go that made sense.

All these new projects so far be they movies or series seem to have a creative at the top so whatever they are they at least will be guided by those ideas.

Except that as terribly orchestrated as it was it still made 4.5 billion dollars at the box office. The decision to not even use Lucas' story arc as the basis was not her's alone. In theory using three writer/directors could work albeit uneasily if she was a strong executive with a vision of her own to cross the three movies. She wasn't able to do that so it didn't happen.

She's not going to have that responsibility again. I wouldn't be surprised if her biggest task in any truly creative way at all is Indy 5.

Not at all but he knew how to do it because the most important thing are the characters and story being told. They come first.

This is a man who specifically wanted his ST to really elevate Leia in the overall saga story to match Anakin and Luke's importance as well as the female scavenger character that Luke would train.

Instead the DST made a point of denigrating Leia and destroying her. Same goes for their version of the scavenger in Rey. There is no way Lucas would have so demeaned and degrade his primary female characters nevermind any other ones he would have created including Anakin and Padme's grand-daughter.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Variety confirms that Fiege has no plans of moving to Star Wars. So again confirmation Kennedy isn’t going anywhere

KyleKartan likes this.
  8. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    She has no business producing another SW movie after the abomination that was Rise of Skywalker.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    We get it mate.

KyleKartan likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    KK is here to stay for many more years until at least all the shows she announced is released and done. Michelle Rewjan will be her replacment and she continnue KK's legacy.

KyleKartan likes this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Honestly, I'm not even worried about it. Her contract being renewed will be just the most obvious middle finger to long time Star Wars fans. And at that point we'll know full well where their priorities are and how they are going to continue with the franchise. What I've mentioned previously is that Star Wars will at the most become just another franchise among many franchises in the world of geekdom. It won't retain any special status for me. And a major reason for that would be the fact that Kathleen Kennedy, who brought us the tragedy of the Sequel Trilogy, is still in charge. And I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to be as passionate about Star Wars as I once was, knowing that that's who I would be supporting to continue the franchise. We matter too, and we shouldn't have to settle for the junk we got and continue to be told to like it, and that we are the problem if we don't. They seriously have no idea how many fans will leave the franchise if KK's contract gets renewed. Or even one of her proteges. And even if it isn't a direct middle finger to all of us, it still shows how totally out of touch they are with the fanbase, and that all they are concerned about is continuing to turn Star Wars into a circus show at their theme parks, and some social justice project for new writers and actors in Hollywood who meet that criteria.

And I say I'm not worried about it, because at that point, I'll be able to leave Star Wars behind and truly feel like I'm not missing out on anything. Like I said, I'll keep a passive interest, but only in conjunction with the various other franchises I'm interested in.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    ok, moving on.

KyleKartan likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Doesn’t really matter she will. Disney cares about one thing and one thing only. Money. If the films and shows make enough money. They are fine with that.

KyleKartan likes this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also KK has good faith with all around with disney.

KyleKartan likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I just can't imagine being at a big convention, at a big Star Wars panel, and seeing her walk out on stage, with that big ear to ear grin she puts on, with that raspy smokey voice she has, to tell us all what a great era Star Wars is about to enter, and seeing that as genuine in any way, shape, or form.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    you need some better imagination then,

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s just like I don’t care. If you think marvel and Star Wars will be anything but money machines or that either “care about the franchise” Kevin Feige may put on a better show, but what he cares about is money. Just the way those companies will be run pretty much forever,

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    A franchise can make money while also delivering quality films.

19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Frankly, I believe Star Wars has fared better in that regard than Marvel in recent years. Despite the Sequel Trilogy, I still managed to enjoy "Rogue One" and "Solo". Both are favorites of mine. In regard to the MCU, the only film in the past five years I have any real respect for is "Black Panther". And I didn't even like the ending.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, but they can't keep giving us one good production, one decent production, and then make the rest of the quality of the ST. And then tell us to just refer to the couple of good ones they put out as a way to not let us have an opinion on what is happening with Star Wars overall.

And while the Marvel movies are not perfect, nobody is asking for perfect. They don't have to be groundbreaking achievements in cinema. Just entertaining, quality films.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think outside of the sequel trilogy LFL has done pretty good, with the public eye.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know. Most people, except Star Wars fans specifically, have already kind of forgotten about the ST. When people think Star Wars right now, they think Disneyland theme park. And Baby Yoda. But it's not like people are basking in the glory that was the ST.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    so same like the PT.

24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, I think if the PT had been released over the last six years, general audiences would probably still at least be talking about it. Even if it wasn't considered landmark filmmaking.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Just some thoughts:

-Keeping the films a certain quality is not her job. She’s the CEO of a studio and reports to Iger. You want to know who to blame for crappy Star Wars films? Directors & writers. If she were getting micromanagerial and nitpicky, we’d be hearing complaints ala Marvel of directors not having any creative freedom.

-Yes, Star Wars has always been political. Sometimes overtly so.

-Disney is first and foremost a profit-driven company. The sequels alone made about 4 billion dollars on a 1 billion (roughly, for all three films) budget. By Disney standards that is just fine.