main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kathleen Kennedy not leaving lucasfilm

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by black_saber, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They made a whole movie about it. George Lucas vs the people or something like it.

I missed Solo as well. Which I would say by the fans was liked even if it was a financial mess. I wouldn’t call TROS or TLJ disliked. Especially TLJ. You’ll find plenty of people who love the movie. Still my point stands neither TLJ or TROS sent some death blow to the franchise. Like there really has to be a consensus for me to say something is disliked

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean, I agree, but the question was relative reception generally.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I also think it was. But that has no bearing on KK. Weather you or I like it. She stays until there is a finical failure big enough where she is clearly the culprit. My personal opinion is I can take her or leave her. I am not gonna be upset if she stays or goes. But whenever she does go don’t be shocked when she gets replaced by another business oriented person. That’s the job of the president of a subsidiary company. Please your boss. Connect the right people to make more money like she did with Jon and Filoni. Or helping Filoni get into live action by shadowing Rian Johnson.

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    @Jedi Knight Fett: Your post is an example of something else I see frequently. Nobody can just say the ST was good, or even decent, on its own. Every single time it seems like, people have to list off every little thing that's happened in this era of Star Wars that are both good and bad in an attempt to dilute the perception of the ST. And then further, people seem to just automatically assume that what's coming up is going to be good, and use that as an even further justification for why the ST shouldn't be so heavily criticized.

The movies alone should carry Star Wars, and should be the marker for the state of it. At least right now, maybe five years from now when the Disney+ universe is built up that won't be the case. But for now, TROS and everything that led to it is the current state of Star Wars.

@DarthPhilosopher: I mean, were that many people saying their childhood was ruined? (I know that was Fett's point, but it seemed relevant in my response to you) Or was it the few loudest, using the few platforms that were available at the time, that gained traction and everybody just assumed that's what everybody else was saying?

I was pretty involved during the PT releases, which I was in high school for two of them, and I don't remember hearing that too much from people. It's not some recent trend where people are suddenly saying they like the PT. Not only that, but the PT at least held up enough that it led to ten years of active discussion and speculation. Whereas I can tell you nowadays, people have already forgotten about the ST. And any mention of Star Wars immediately defers to The Mandalorian, not the 9th saga film of the greatest sci fi franchise of all time that was released not even two years ago. The Mandalorian very much shields the ST from any continued harsh criticism.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Sequel Trilogy is good....and I stand by that.

I will say that the post 2005-2012 era was probably the most quite era of Star Wars if anyone wants to get a feel about what the franchise maybe "Dying" looks like. Oh sure Clone Wars was going well and had gas in the tank creatively but it never managed to have that many viewers back when it aired compared to today thanks to streaming giving it that much needed boost.

Honestly before the sale it felt like Star Wars was on the way out.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    This seems to be a double standard. While for the PT it was just “some small, loud minority,” for the ST it actually is as bad as perceived. No, the hatred against the PT was extensive and continued for a long while after the release of the films. I also doubt that the discussion around the ST has ceased amongst its fans - just because I, or you, aren’t particularly interested, is not evidence that there is no discussion going on at all.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The only discussion about the ST are in niche spaces like this forum.

I go to my local comic book shop, or a convention, or anywhere else people would be more familiar with Star Wars than the average person, and nobody is talking about the ST. Mandalorian, sure. But not the ST. And when it gets brought up, most people just give a disapproving head shake and the conversation ends there. Nobody even wants to talk about it.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You don't go on twitter and facebook a lot do you?

And to be fair just your experiances isn't really "Scientific evidence" now is it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Actually, I do consider my evidence to be quite scientific.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I don’t really know how to respond to anecdotes like this, but simply to say that I remember similar responses to discussions of the PT prior to its reevaluation.

It’s also besides the point about whether the ST sent the franchise into a terminal decline.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

How? Whats the science behind it?

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I never said that Star Wars can't ever become a great franchise again. Just that right now, it's dead.

jfc it was a joke.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean given the current success, that’s self evidently not true.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If it's dead then why are they still making content?

Was it? Hard to tell sometimes. Especially given some of your own reasonings here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2021
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Because The Mandalorian and the hype over Disney+ are the only things holding up Star Wars to any significant degree. Star Wars would be nothing right now without that, and without the means for Disney to distribute new content directly to viewers. Like I said, in a few years time, that will obviously be the norm. But right now that isn't enough to vindicate the ST.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So you're saying that the franchise is currently being held up by it's latest projects... like every other franchise. There is no attempt to 'vindicate' the ST. We're talking about whether the franchise is in a health state - I think the answer is an obvious "yes," given the success of it's current projects. I'm not sure why there needs to be perpetual doom for the franchise following the disappointment of the ST, even after we've passed beyond that.

17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    No one should argue with @DarthPhilosopher unless you want your head to spin in all sorts of directions at once. :c3po: (Master Luke, my head is positioned backwards. Please reverse me. Please reprogram me.")

Childhoods shall be ruined yet again.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Don’t worry Tython, you’ll be able to get your vengeance one day. Always good seeing another seething post from you though. Glad you haven’t forgotten me.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I totally agree. If you ignore the massive popularity of The Mandalorian, the success of The Bad Batch despite a lack of enthusiasm when it was announced, and the general excitement for all the movies and TV series Disney announced back in December, Star Wars is dead, in the same way that you could call a sleeping person dead if you ignored their pulse.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Marvel’s also dead guys! :p

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Maybe it is all of us who are dead.

Destiny975 likes this.
  22. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Well, to be completely honest, so far we don't know how successful The Bad Batch is. Disney doesn't exactly share the numbers, but if we take a look at the Parrot Analytics Insights, it hasn't even made its way to the top 10 of the most popular digital originals shows after a whole month of its run, whereas The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars have been up there for two years.
    [​IMG]
    The Mandalorian was indeed a huge success, along with the revival of The Clone Wars. But it's hard to tell whether the upcoming shows will be as successful.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Damn, you're right. They should fire Dave Filoni for that disappointment. I mean, Resistance and The Bad Batch back-to-back? Looks like Kennedy needs to clear house, eh?

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean Rebels too at first lol, so 3 strikes at Filoni.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    SHUT IT ALL DOWN