main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Keep getting randomly logged out

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ghost, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I keep getting randomly logged out, like 5 times in the last 10 minutes. This happened yesterday too.

This has never happened to me before. Is this happening to anyone else?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you ticked the 'keep me logged in' box? Also are you trying to access the boards from more than one device or browser at the same time?

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you are on your mobile, you may be in an area where the mobile's internet access keeps pinging between multiple antennae. Signals can have a tendency to drop when the source changes.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I am at home on my laptop. I keep clicking keep logged in. I literally liked one post, and went to like another post on the same thread and had to log back in again. 4 times in one thread. Plus in other threads and forums over the last half hour.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Check your home's router to make certain the wifi isn't being spotty.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Also have you changed your cookie or privacy settings at all? That's how sites keep track of logins.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No settings have changed, and my personal WiFi is fine.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    What operating system (Windows etc) and browser/version are you using?

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Windows 10, Firefox

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, we have Firefox in common. (I'm on Win 7), Is this happening on other sites that you log in on or just here?
    Also, have you tried clearing your cache/temporary files?

11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this has happened to me in the past I think.
    Usually clearing the cookies for tfn sorts it.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It has just been happening here. It's been ok the last few hours, but it's weird that it happened between 10am-1pm for two days in a row. I reset cookies/temporary files a week ago so it should be fine, but I'll do it again.

13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If it keeps happening, then (unless you already did this) click the lock on the address bar (while on the boards) and choose "Clear cookies and site data...", then hit Remove. The "site data" part includes some stuff that none of the options in your browser settings will clear, and sometimes it's one of those things that is the culprit. It's like a factory reset of the browser, but only for one site.

That's in Firefox; I don't know if other browsers offer a similar option.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Thanks all, just tried all that. I'll let you know if it continues, hopefully not since it' seems to just be me and not a larger site issue.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Actually I've been having the same issue just the last few days, on mobile and on browser, also both Firefox. For me it seems to be happening randomly when I click to go to a thread from my alerts.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't had the issue on version 95.0.2 64-bit Firefox. If you're on an older version of the browser you might want to update. Version 96.0.1 is the newest one.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm on the newest version on both mobile and desktop browser, it's been very random when I get logged out. It didn't bother me that much since I have my login saved but I saw the thread and thought I'd chime in that it's not just one person with this issue.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  18. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    This has been happening to me sporadically the past couple of weeks and as of today it's been constant. I've cleared out everything TFN-related but it's still happening.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    has happened to me before. I forget what I did to fix it

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "...and so are doomed to repeat it"

jcgoble3 and EHT like this.
  21. army4strong

army4strong Jedi Padawan

Dec 19, 2020
    Its a bug in older versions of Firefox that usually causes this,make sure you download the latest version and you should be fine.
    here you should be able to use your old imported cookies.

If that does not do the trick it could be your cookies.sqlite file in your firefox profiles folder is corrupted ,delete cookies.sqlite and cookies.sqlite-journal or rename them by adding .old to them.(if you need them for archival purposes etc)
    Of course you have to create new cookies in this case.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022