main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  2. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    If she got cut from the next movie, the headline would be "Star Wars Takes Out a Loan"

11-4D likes this.
  3. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    As a POC raised in a predominantly white society who was told in a million ways I "didn't belong" throughout my life and spent my adolescence wishing I was white like all my peers, her op-ed really rang true to me. My parents like hers also had to change their name as the university they were enrolling it would not accept foreign names. Good for Loan, don't let the bastards get you down.

4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Actually it affected the actor's life too
    [​IMG]

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think that's the most poorly-timed joke since Rodney Dangerfield gave a speech at a funeral. ;)

Birkendoc likes this.
  6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats not what i mean. back when Jar Jar was getting the hate and Ahmed best was getting backlash there clearly was no media who gave a crap because no one felt the character george created deserved it.

With rose and kelly you have the Race issue there which is a delicate subject that the media would be all on top of if they felt disney or lucas was showing any form of mistaken racism. that along with gender and Disneys dignity on the line they can't really jar jar binks her like that.

The whole Ahmed best thing is abit more in the light now but at the time it was ok to rip on jar jar for years on.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Way to go, Loan!
    Really not the best time for a joke. Learn to read the room.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Jar Jar was a very much hated character & George Lucas listened to the fans & only gave Jar Jar a cameo in AOTC ,

Rose is a hated character by a lot of fans ect but not as much as Jar Jar however she should still only have a small amount of screen time extended cameo at the most.........I mean we had a much loved character in Captain Phasma & she was wasted in TLJ .....

But I must make the point that neither Ahmed or Kelly deserved the online treatment they got......

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Oh the media would be on Disneys back if Rose went from a lead to a cameo.

Many would say Disney are trying to hide rose (aka "first woman of color to have a leading role in a “Star Wars” movie") because of the fans and you know that won't go down well.

While i think Disney and Lucas would give Rose a good role in the next movie either way, there probably would still be a little bit of pressure there not too.

10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Jar Jar and Rose is a non-comparison to me, although harassing the actor who portrayed Jar Jar is awful. I could see criticizing an actor if they don't portray their character well (not so with Jar Jar or Rose), but nothing warrants hate and harassment.

I also just can't see any justification in limiting Rose's screen time. I don't know. Jar Jar had one important role that I remember: he represented Naboo in granting emergency powers to the Chancellor. He wasn't so central to a plot storyline like Rose was. There is no way they are cutting out Rose.

11. The Wrens of Night

Apr 14, 2017
    No.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2018
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Not cutting out but a smaller role - Jar Jar was a worse character than Rose for sure but Rose still got the most backlash I've seen since Jar Jar - apart from Anakin's wooden acting in AOTC maybe.......

13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Not all backlash is equal. Rose isn't in every scene sucking up apples with her tongue, being around for fart jokes, getting her hand stuck in motors, saying EXSQEEZE ME!... Jar Jar annoys me in a special way by rendering scenes he's in highly difficult to watch. My only objection with Rose isn't about Rose at all but how TLJ cares more for characters sending messages than for characters themselves. And it's difficult for me to get away from the feeling that she's there to espouse LFL'S movie messages to Finn. This can be easily remedied by giving her a character arc. :) For Jar Jar, I'm afraid there's nothing that can change his fundamental nature as a character. Though if GL loved him, I'm sad he felt he had to cut him out. And it's sad fans are such jerks sometimes, screaming in outrage about everything they don't like, like a mob of rabid toddlers.

Dislike of Rose seems to rarely be about Rose herself. Dislike of Jar Jar was pretty much dislike of that character, not how the character was being used. No way of using the character would make him less "Jar Jar."

And I think another difference for me is when I watch Rose I'm curious to learn more about Rose. When I watch Jar Jar (though over the years and after TCW which gave him some better stories and my realization that he's The Fool archetype, he grew a little on me) it's like I'm struggling to just watch the scene.

And other characters are annoyed by Jar Jar too, which almost amplifies the viewing difficulty for me. Though Mace and Jar Jar was actually satisfying in this.

rorow1 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Nah I don't think we need to lighten up after the first Asian woman on the cover of Vanity Fair and the first woman of color to have a leading role in a Star Wars movie opens up about being mocked for being different and reveals her real name and then you immediately mock her name, ignoring the culture it comes from to make a "joke" about its meaning in the English language, engaging in the very behavior that has caused her and many like her a great deal of pain and suffering.

But I'm glad you got your terrible little pun in, you are hilarious.

15. The Wrens of Night

Apr 14, 2017
    Check my history on this thread. I've been 100% supportive of Ms. Tran throughout and actually like her character in the movie. If you didn't like my post, ignore it!

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't care what you've said before or if you like her character in the movie, that post was the exact same behavior she was talking about, and I'm criticizing it. Your suggestion to ignore it has been rejected with passion.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    My comment before was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't as insensitive as your post suggests. But, since you didn't take the hint, and have responded with obstinance towards those of us trying to point this out to you, I'll make this official. Read CT's post again, and take it on board. Any further jokes like the one above will earn you a vacation from the boards. I'll just leave this here for you to review.

18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    JJ and his team are great at casting. I have every confidence that JJ can give her a significant role in the movie that will make her character shine.

19. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I’m late to the party but:

YAAAAAAS, LOAN/KELLY!!! YOU GO GIRL!

I’m so proud of her for speaking out. I may be a male POC, but everything she said just rang true to me. It’s so sad. However, all of this has made me love Rose Tico more and more.

I don’t think the Jar Jar hate is that comparable to the hate for Rose Tico. Jar Jar gets hate for numerous reasons (being useless, obnoxious, a racist stereotype, etc.) and the negative reception that he had is pretty legendary. The Rose hate seems more comparable to the hate for Rey after TFA, which was really bad. It should be noted that most critics are very fond of Rose Tico, even if they’re not always fond of her arc. Personally, I think Rose is one of the best female characters we’ve gotten in Star Wars, while I think Jar Jar is one of the worst movie characters of all time.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just got a chance to read the NYT article, and good for Loan. As far as Jar-Jar...whatever anyone thinks of him as a character, going after Ahmed Best for playing him that way Lucas directed was really disgusting. And I thought as much before I knew that he contemplated suicide.

I cannot relate as directly to her comments but I cheered at the part in which she talked about women being condemned for not conforming to men’s expectations.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed, and I had no idea he had contemplated suicide. That's the kind of thing that makes me want to wash my hands of this "fandom" altogether. The fact that he, Loan, and Jake Loyd (among others) have had to put up with that kind of despicable behavior, and have felt genuine emotional pain because of involvement with Star Wars, turns my stomach. Again, congrats to Loan for facing it head on and telling them where they can shove it.

22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Toxic fandom seems to be everywhere. I don't know how to gauge how bad Star Wars fandom is compared to other fandoms.

Even GL seemed to suffer from Star Wars toxic fandom.

23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Hayden Christensen gave some nice yet brief thoughts on the harassment of Kelly.

24. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    <3 for all the Star Wars cast members out there!

25. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Unfortunately.

However I have bad felling that some, many, are finding escape goat in less than 1% fans who are unfortunetely toxic , for denying any criticism of story writing, insufficient competence, and even lack of understaning of basics Star Wars universe in same occasions.

I am sorry for what happend to Kely Marie , and Hyden, and to mr.Ahmed Best who acted Jar-Jar binx.

But, unofortuntely I find in my own life experience, that 1%(sometimes even more) of people are simply toxic wherever you go, and wherewer you participate, especially in something big.

We must be clear minded, and objective. This is multi billion dollar public profession, professionals involved in it should be at highest level in every aspects, if they want to claim competence for such ultimate position..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.